Stuff you couldn't get away with in 2020

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
Disney probably couldn't get away with this being in the Live Action Peter Pan.

Problem is what the hell is the plan going to be? Cut out all the native Americans entirely and get attacked for erasing representation?
I never understood the term redskin being associated with Indians. They are brown people.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I never understood the term redskin being associated with Indians. They are brown people.
Well, they also have nothing to do with India but since Europeans in the 15th century though anything East and West of Europe(and the near east) was basically INDIA, the name somehow stuck long after everyone realized the American were a totally separate hemisphere, let alone continents.

So really it's a bunch of stupid naming conventions that somehow stuck.

Kinda like how Eastern Asia got dubbed Oriental but Europe/Americas isn't Occidental, for reasons.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I was talking to my dad on the phone today, and he was tell me he watched a documentary about Bob Marley.

"You know who would be a great actor for a Bob Marley bio-pic? That Pineapple Express guy...what's his name? James Franco, but in black face. It would be perfect."
Yeah, your dad can screw off of that.

I was surprised by this when it first aired.

The battering ram part was one of my favorite gags in the show.

That show is fuckin' weird.
I still say Invader Zim and Rocko had weirder moments. I admit, I have a hard time going back to the fairly oddparents, because a lot of the characters are just playing jackasses and they only got worse as the seasons went on. Dan Hartman really lost his touch too. It was not helping either.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Crank 1 & 2. There is a lot of shit in 2 you can't do in film anymore. It's why the duo directors refuse to make a 3rd film, because of the huge social and political climate change in the past decade.

fOx

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2017
Country
United States
Most still don't. It's not common knowledge. It's film buff knowledge. Most people still don't get that Robocop is satire, either.
...I don't think this is true.

Everybodies acting like the express purpose of ST is some kind of hidden knowledge. If this knowledge is film buff knowledge, then its because ST is a weird cult classic about space bugs, and the only people who talk about it at all are film buffs. The average person has never heard of the weird space bug movie that serves as satire about fascism, and they would roll their eyes of you told them. But its not because they wouldn't understand it. It's because we're all fucking weirdos for watching it in the first place.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Panty and Stocking would get a shit ton of controversy, if released today!

Believe it or not given that I talk about VN's and erotic games on the forums, but I am not in fact a horndog in public and amongst my highschool friends I was probably the most reserved about talking about sex and not into subversive shows. Yet, somehow I was the one that first learned of Panty & Stocking and introduced it to my friends by showing them the transformation sequence on Youtube. Their reactions were priceless.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Panty and Stocking would get a shit ton of controversy, if released today!

Actually, I think it's safe to say that almost all of Gainax's stuff wouldn't fly today with things like masturbating to an unconscious girl, declarations of love from a 12 year old boy to an adult woman, drills as metaphor for penises, etc.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Do I need to remind you all that Redo of Healer is literally new?

Hell, My Dress Up Darling has high school kids go to a love hotel to shoot sexy cosplay photos. It's massively horny

"They couldn't make this these days" my entire ass. Get a HiDive/VRV subscription, fuck's sake

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Actually, I think it's safe to say that almost all of Gainax's stuff wouldn't fly today with things like masturbating to an unconscious girl,
Don't remind me. Not that it matters much at this point, since Gainax is dead in the water. Most of the talent went to Trigger and they're still going strong. Kill La Kill came out in 2013, and most people don't have a problem with it a near decade later. So there's a big silver lining. Funny enough, the LGBTQ loves a majority of Studio Trigger's work and filmography.

declarations of love from a 12 year old boy to an adult woman
????

drills as metaphor for penises,

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Do I need to remind you all that Redo of Healer is literally new?
That one is straight up hentai, so it does not count. Plus, the IP is nothing more than a edge lord fic made by guy to see how much he could get away with. To the point you can't even get a legal copy of the original web novel any more. Which is what the original story started from.

Hell, My Dress Up Darling has high school kids go to a love hotel to shoot sexy cosplay photos. It's massively horny
You're not wrong, but it's still pretty niche in the big picture. From what I've seen from a few clips, it is still tame compared to something like P&G or Shimoneta.