Stuff you couldn't get away with in 2020

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Oh right. Actually, that one could be released with little problems. FLCL is a coming of age story, and it is pointed out Naota's crush ain't healthy, because Haruko is manipulating and using a child for her own ends. As much as I disliked FLCL at the time, that was the entire point. Even teenage me understood the point. Also, be a kid and don't try to grow up too fast.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Oh right. Actually, that one could be released with little problems. FLCL is a coming of age story, and it is pointed out Naota's crush ain't healthy, because Haruko is manipulating and using a child for her own ends. As much as I disliked FLCL at the time, that was the entire point. Even teenage me understood the point. Also, be a kid and don't try to grow up too fast.
You speak of reasonable analysis of the themes of the show. The kinds of people we're talking about don't care about that and you know that. As an example, I think All Dogs Go To Heaven is a fantastic movie that deals with a lot of serious themes, not least of which is Charlie's manipulation and mistreatment of Anne. I think these were good lessons for me to see as a kid but my God, that would not fly with the kind of coddling a lot of parents do nowadays. There's, how I feel, and then there's, what I know others will say.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You speak of reasonable analysis of the themes of the show. The kinds of people we're talking about don't care about that and you know that.
That is nothing new. People like that existed back then. The only difference is that Twitter did not exist, so not every single person felt the need to chime in. They're loud fools in the vocal minority and nothing more. The same type that would suck Jack Thompson's dick and be the supposed stereotypical soccer mom.

I think these were good lessons for me to see as a kid but my God, that would not fly with the kind of coddling a lot of parents do nowadays.
Depends on where you look. I've seen plenty of parents show All Dogs Go To Heaven with little issues or problem a majority of the time. Only keyboard "warriors" and people who live their entire life on social media have problems with a animated movie that is over 30 years old. The type of people who know they have nothing better to do and live shallow, empty lives, because they can never fight for an actual cause to believe in. I have nothing to worry, nor should you.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
That is nothing new. People like that existed back then. The only difference is that Twitter did not exist, so not every single person felt the need to chime in. They're loud fools in the vocal minority and nothing more. The same type that would suck Jack Thompson's dick and be the supposed stereotypical soccer mom.

Depends on where you look. I've seen plenty of parents show All Dogs Go To Heaven with little issues or problem a majority of the time. Only keyboard "warriors" and people who live their entire life on social media have problems with a animated movie that is over 30 years old. The type of people who know they have nothing better to do and live shallow, empty lives, because they can never fight for an actual cause to believe in. I have nothing to worry, nor should you.
*sigh* Yes. Yes you're right, of course. I'm just too much of a worry wart (?wort?). It just seems to be in my nature to agonize over details. Fortunately, it seems to serve me well with my job since getting all the variables to line up is central to it, so at least I've put it to use in some way.

Reactions: BrawlMan

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
That one is straight up hentai, so it does not count. Plus, the IP is nothing more than a edge lord fic made by guy to see how much he could get away with. To the point you can't even get a legal copy of the original web novel any more. Which is what the original story started from.

You're not wrong, but it's still pretty niche in the big picture. From what I've seen from a few clips, it is still tame compared to something like P&G or Shimoneta.
Redo literally has a broadcast anime on hidive right now. Among many, many others.

What weird alternate realities are you guys posting from?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Like, shit: the only things I ever see push back on are obvious trans parallels from the weird nerds who don't get symbolism

Old anime would have out no-shit, no-ambiguity trans characters in hero roles, now they all dance around the idea because, paradoxically, weebs love futanari but get weird around trans people

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Redo literally has a broadcast anime on hidive right now.
Neato, so they're allowing hentai now. I did not know that, because I don't constantly follow most anime. Especially ones I have no interests, nor enjoy.
What weird alternate realities are you guys posting from?
Nowhere. I am just going off what I know. Everyone has a different perspective.

weebs love futanari but get weird around trans people
Because it's "normal" by comparison for some weird and dumb reason. They're still hypocritical cowards that can't fully commit. Not realizing they would get weird looks from normal people, if any regular Joe or Janette found out.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Earlier in this thread someone posted that virtually any 80s comedy that pokes fun at anything that would be a sex related crime today. Animal House is from the 70s and has Bluto peeping on a fellow female student. Private School is even worse. Males sexually assault girls and they seem to be amused by it (one peeper reaches into an open window and pulls a girl's towel off and she smiles. Today, he would be in prison and she would be in therapy.

But it isn't just comedies that could be so awful.

Halloween 3: Season of the Witch review. Check out the analysis of the main protagonist at min. 3

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Why so? There's nothing wrong with Bebe's Kids at all, even by today's or recent history's prudish standards.
It's not the worst, but there are things that irk me or is more noticeable as you get older.

• Let's start with the title kids: none of them are worth sympathizing with. We get that they have a crappy home life, but we're still supposed to see them as cool, rebellious, badass and against the system. We're supposed to like them and see them as heroes for it. They are Designated Heroes.
  • The same applies to Robin to a lesser extent. He doesn't do much heroic either. He even tries to ditch the kids; not that I blame him.
  • All three of BB's kids are Karma Houdinis. They pretty much destroyed an entire amusement park. I know they had some jackass employee MIB type agents, but not all the employees were assholes. What they do was technically terrorism for the fun of it.
Plus, the movie is just a slog to get through for me. There are some parts that still make me laugh like the your mama jokes, but everything else I'm either indifferent towards, annoys me, or I try and skip it just to get through the film faster.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
It's not the worst, but there are things that irk me or is more noticeable as you get older.

• Let's start with the title kids: none of them are worth sympathizing with. We get that have a crappy home life, but we're still supposed to see them as cool, rebellious, badass and against the system we're supposed to like them and see them as heroes for it. They are Designated Heroes.
  • The same applies to Robin to a lesser extent. He doesn't do much heroic either. He even tries to ditch the kids, not that I blame him.
  • All three of BB's kids are Karma Houdinis. They pretty much destroyed an entire amusement park. I know they had some jackass employee MIB type agents, but not all the employees were assholes. What they do was technically terrorism for the fun of it.
Plus, the movie is just a slog to get through for me. There are some parts that still make me laugh like that your mama jokes, but everything else I'm either in different to, annoys me, or I try and skip it just to get through the film faster.
I was under the impression the spirit of the thread concerned things from years ago that you couldn't get away with in the modern era given current sensitivities and sensibilities. You may not like Bebe's Kids, but there's nothing offensive about it even by today's standards.

But to your critiques, I'd suggest lowering your critical standards. It's an animated comedy; you're not "supposed" to do anything except laugh. The concept stems from the iconic standup bit by Robin Harris; it needn't pass any litmus tests for character relatability, likeability, motivation, etc. Like most comedies, it's a series of punchlines, like Looney Tunes, unless you're looking down your nose at the Road Runner's lack of "character" or Daffy Duck's innate dislikeable self-centeredness. Just sayin', Bebe's Kids wasn't trying to be Casablanca.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
But to your critiques, I'd suggest lowering your critical standards. It's an animated comedy; you're not "supposed" to do anything except laugh.
No. Just because something's a comedy doesn't mean it's immune criticism. There's good comedy, mediocre comedy, and bad comedy. I'm not saying every single person is going to be offended by the movie, but I would not be be surprised, if a few people took issues and noticed.

But to your critiques, I'd suggest lowering your critical standards. It's an animated comedy; you're not "supposed" to do anything except laugh. The concept stems from the iconic standup bit by Robin Harris; it needn't pass any litmus tests for character relatability, likeability, motivation, etc. Like most comedies, it's a series of punchlines, like Looney Tunes, unless you're looking down your nose at the Road Runner's lack of "character" or Daffy Duck's innate dislikeable self-centeredness. Just sayin', Bebe's Kids wasn't trying to be Casablanca.
I know all that. My mom and my brother can watch Bebe's Kids just fine. My dad wouldn't watch it, but for different reasons. He doesn't care much animated shows, even if it stars one of his favorite comedians. And once again I'll say, I'm not comparing this movie to Casablanca. That still doesn't make it immune criticism nor you can't say it doesn't have flaws. There's also something else you are forgetting. Looney Tunes have been around for decades, and been given chances to build up the characters, even if it was unintentional and they just rolled with it. BBK is it 90 minute comedy based off of a stand-up sketch. It still doesn't change the fact that you're supposed to feel sorry for these kids when you see their home life. On some level I can sympathize, but it's a dissonance that doesn't work when they've been jackasses for most of the movie. That still doesn't change it back to the movie wants you to root for these kids to destroy or screw up everything, yet cry for them at the same time. I'm not saying it can't be done, but you have to be really good to pull this off. And it does not work here. I don't regret my time with this movie, but I'm not afraid to point out what's wrong or what would be called out today. Like I said before, not the worst, but it has issues. I care more for the Itsy Bitsy Spider short before they actually starts in the actual movie. That has actual good Looney Tunes shit! Jim Carrey even voiced the Exterminator.

I know the movie is considered a cult classic and plenty of black kids grew up on it. But that doesn't mean it can't be excused for what it tried to do and what didn't work. If there's any good out of the movie, is that the guy who created this went on to make the Proud Family. That show had its own issues, but I tend to enjoy it more, and I liked how it ended. I know there's a reboot of that series now, but I haven't seen it yet. I got my brother's Disney plus account, so if I want to see it, it'll be there.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
No. Just because something's a comedy doesn't mean it's immune criticism. There's good comedy, mediocre comedy, and bad comedy. I'm not saying every single person is going to be offended by the movie, but I would not be be surprised, if a few people took issues and noticed.

I know all that. My mom and my brother can watch Bebe's Kids just fine. My dad wouldn't watch it, but for different reasons. He doesn't care much animated shows, even if it stars one of his favorite comedians. And once again I'll say, I'm not comparing this movie to Casablanca. That still doesn't make it immuno criticism nor you can't say it doesn't have flaws. There's also something else you are forgetting. Looney tunes have been around for decades, and been given chances to build up the characters, even if it was unintentional and they just rolled with it. BBK is it 90 minute comedy based off of a stand-up sketch. It still doesn't change the fact that you're supposed to feel sorry for these kids when you see their home life. On some level I can sympathize, but it's a dissonance that doesn't work when they've been jackasses for most of the movie. That still doesn't change it back to the movie wants you to root for these kids to destroy or screw up everything, yet cry for them at the same time. I'm not saying it can't be done, but you have to be really good to pull this off. And it does not work here. I don't regret my time with this movie, but I'm not afraid to point out what's wrong or what would be called out today. Like I said before, not the worst, but it has issues. I care more for the Itsy Bitsy Spider short before they actually starts in the actual movie. That has actual good Looney Tunes shit! Jim Carrey even voiced the Exterminator.

I know the movie is considered a cult classic and plenty of black kids grew up on it. But that doesn't mean it can't be excused for what it tried to do and what didn't work. If there's any good out of the movie, is that the guy who created this went on to make the Proud Family. That show had its own issues, but I tend to enjoy it more, and I liked how it ended. I know there's a reboot of that series now, but I haven't seen it yet. I got my brother's Disney plus account, so if I want to see it, it'll be there.
I'm not saying it's immune to criticism; I'm saying you're leveling a depth of criticism at it that was never intended to meet. It's dumb fun (like Looney Tunes; ) like it or leave it. But when you start waxing intellectual about a cinematic miss on ostensibly-intended sympathy for a tribe of prepubescent sociopaths, I kinda feel you're overthinking it and missing the joke. The gist of the comedy bit is Robin's girlfriend gets him tangled up with the misfit kids of her absentee friend Bebe... and that's what the cartoon was about. There are no "heroes," just a series of comedic scenarios that get exponentially more outrageous until, yes, they destroy a theme park... cuz they Bebe's kids. That's the point. That's what they are capable of. That's the joke.

Calling them "karma Houdinis" for destroying the park despite "not all the employees [being] assholes" is a massive missing of the point and taking it too seriously by orders of magnitude. Do you have a similar moral dilemma when Daffy and Bugs have their famous "wabbit season/duck season" exchange? Should they not be trying to encourage Elmer to effectively KILL the other? Is Elmer EVIL for trying to effectively wanting kill one of two clearly sentient and communicative beings?

Gamertrek

Oct 20, 2022
This entire thread is dumb.
You like something they are all works of fiction.
Your going to waste your life away not examining the kind of losers who are attempting to "curb your enthusiasm".
Do an indept research to the kind of pug who is fooling you.

Then came along crap like facebook ( and variants like chuchu and vk ), and twitter and prior to that myspace. To dumb it down even further we have instagram not being used for photos along with snapchat and with other bs like TikTok, or whatever myspace bs.

You have people out their who do not see you as a human-being, but less then a human. They will use any means to confuse you to the point of annihilating their own family for selfish gain.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm not saying it's immune to criticism; I'm saying you're leveling a depth of criticism at it that was never intended to mee-t--
You know what, don't care right now. I got too much shit going on today (seriously a lot has been going on personally. and I will leave it at that). My opinion and point stands, and we've already done this with Rick and Morty. Not wasting my time again on it.

Last edited:

Gamertrek

Oct 20, 2022
Comedy is comedy . Some people will get it while others will not. Imagine the folks who spend days, weeks, and months looking for something pointless to complain about. You see it and then you ignore it. I could find tons of things wrong in just about anything as I could find tons of things right in just about anything at all, excuse the pun. The sad part is the amount of crybabies willing to make anything a problem.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Still love God Hand, but some people would throw up a storm. I wouldn't blame the gay community for disliking Mr. Gold and Mr. Silver. At least they're bad ass duo and are not easy to take down. What also help is Gene doesn't hate nor judge them for it. All Gene say is "I am not that kind of guy.", and moves on. Some people would be offended by spanking women to defeat them, but it's so over-the-top, you can't help laughing.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I wonder if GTA's infamous "Faggio" scooter will make its return in GTA 6. I mean, GTA is no stranger to the offensive, but sensitivities have "heightened" in the 47 years since GTA V came out [the first time.] Not sure such an overtly offensive and pointed name would fly or if it's even worth risking the long-standing gag.