Stuff you thought when you were a Kid

Alex Tom

Sep 25, 2011
I used to think "operates standing by" meant they where outside my window waiting for me to call the number to order something

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I thought that people have babies for simply being around each other for a really long time. Doesn't really make sense now that I think about it now.

And I also thought through playing Crash Bandicoot 2, that "enemies" were all creatures that moved back and forth in a straight line.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Well I made up that it was perfectly fine wearing a cap when you go to bed (well ok that is still ok that is if you want very greasy hair the next day). I was at ends with my bro back then since I was fed up that he was always right and I want to prove to him that for once I was right!

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Freak that I am, I don't remember any stupid things I thought as a child. I remember a lot of things I didn't understand, at least, I remember figuring them out in hindsight when I was in my early teens. Probably do to my incredibly poor memory, I just don't remember anything.

Jessabi

Jul 26, 2011
I remember being 4 years old in the car with my mum convinced that the moon was following us because it looked like it was moving as we were driving and stopping when we stopped etc. When I pointed it out, my mum tried to explain it but I wasn't having any of it. I was completely convinced I was being stalked by the moon.

The Thinker

Jan 22, 2011
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
I thought that my stuffed toys on my bed at night moved when I was asleep, because they would sometimes be in different positions when I woke up... like neatly aranged in the corner by the wall, or all over the bed in what looked like some sort of scene...

It was years before I found out that I moved them in my sleep... (found that out the night I went to bed with a penknife on the bedside table, and woke up with what is now a scar on my stomach... :S)
Wow... that's creepy.

And I won't be sharing my old misconceptions. Because they reflect poorly on me. Why yes, I am paranoid. Good day.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
I'm reading these with a faint smile on my face, because I don't think I ever thought any of those things. I had an obsession with space since I saw starwars, at 8 years old I believe, and with the sea after that. Romans after that, and an ant once wanted to give me something that might also appeal to future interests. so she bought me a childrens encyclopedia. I read it in a week (it had a lot of pictures, and it was pretty small). I don't think I could have had strange ideas since then.

Or maybe I don't remember the strange ideas I had when i was even younger. I'll kee in touch.

feeback06

Sep 14, 2010
LilithSlave said:
This was a common one.

I think color didn't exist in the world until it was invented on the televisions.

I kept feeling sorry for people who lived long ago. Because they didn't have color.
I remember thinking the same thing, however my Granny set me straight on that one while we were watching Nick at Night.

I remember thinking pregnancy just...happened.

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
I used to think people only lived for a 100 days. Needless to say I thought 100 was a huge number. I have no idea why I thought that.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
For a long time I thought snow came from the rings of Saturnus.
A teacher told my class that. She apparently didn't know six year olds(might've been five) doesn't really get sarcasm.

hutchy27

Jan 7, 2011
LilithSlave said:
This was a common one.

I think color didn't exist in the world until it was invented on the televisions.

I kept feeling sorry for people who lived long ago. Because they didn't have color.
Yeah I thought that too. All those black and white movies are to blame for that. :p

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
LilithSlave said:
Tsekatsu said:
I thought the past was in black and white.
Yep. I knew it was common.

Our generation, or rather, a couple generations possibly, sure had a funny sensation.
I've got a one-up on that - I can only remember my oldest memories in black and white. Yeah, it's odd.
I also got the words 'terrorist' and 'tourist' mixed up. That led to some interesting situations.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
I thought that my stuffed toys on my bed at night moved when I was asleep, because they would sometimes be in different positions when I woke up... like neatly aranged in the corner by the wall, or all over the bed in what looked like some sort of scene...

It was years before I found out that I moved them in my sleep... (found that out the night I went to bed with a penknife on the bedside table, and woke up with what is now a scar on my stomach... :S)
I had the same thing. Put my pen knife on my bedside table. Woke up, and it was on my bare belly, blade out.

Didn't hurt myself, though.

My grand-dad convinced me he was the strongest man in the world, and proceeded to let me beat him at arm wrestling.

The next school day was not pleasant.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Gammayun said:
Oh and i was afraid of pools in the dark because it might have a whale in it, and it might eat me. Yeah another weird one and to this day i find whales creepy.

He's sneaking up on you.

OT: I thought that if you put a glass bowl or a helmet over your head, you'd be able to breathe underwater forever. Years later I understand that Oxygen is being changed to Carbon Dioxide when you exhale.

I also thought that I could use a plastic bag as a parachute, as mentioned above.

I thought there was always something hiding in my closet wiating to get me in the dark when I was alone, and so I'd always close the closet door before I went to bed, and sometimes wake my mom up and ask her to come sleep in my room with me. Now I understand the only real monsters are other human beings.

Tsekatsu said:
and I thought that tacos used to make you walk bow legged. Don't ask me how I came to that conclusion because I honestly don't know.
That's an easy one. Mexican food=Burning anus.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Binnsyboy said:
I had the same thing. Put my pen knife on my bedside table. Woke up, and it was on my bare belly, blade out.

My grand-dad convinced me he was the strongest man in the world, and proceeded to let me beat him at arm wrestling.

Wow... didn't think i'd ever find someone with the same experience! It's strange! I wonder why we went for the bellies?

I have learnt since that I will only usually touch things within arms reach of the bed... saying that I have had sleep sex, that involved me getting a condom out of a drawer across the room, and apply it correctly, which I did...! :|

And wow! I bet that was an unpleasant day! You didn't go around challenging people did you?

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
DanielBrown said:
For a long time I thought snow came from the rings of Saturnus.
A teacher told my class that. She apparently didn't know six year olds(might've been five) doesn't really get sarcasm.
I think I'll throw in a competing anecdote for dumbest teacher on the face of the earth, thanks.

A supply teacher I had when I was five. She was reading out the register, and had the strangest fumble when she got to my name.

"Charlie, Jamie, Jordan, Jah-cuh-cuh" (trying to pronounce Jack, pronounced the C and K as individual syllables).

I genuinely have no idea how someone can go through life not meeting someone called Jack, and not understanding basic fucking spelling. And that this woman was allowed near children in an educational capacity!

OT: I used to think that if someone was talking over the teacher, while everyone else couldn't hear what was being said, the person talking over could perfectly.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Gammayun said:
Ok this one is a little more weird, I would hover over the loo because i was afraid a vampire might come out of it.
W, why would a vampire live in your toilet? Oh children are so silly!

I used to think there was an american indian camp behind the indian takeaway shop.

I wish I was kidding.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Binnsyboy said:

Wow... didn't think i'd ever find someone with the same experience! It's strange! I wonder why we went for the bellies?

I have learnt since that I will only usually touch things within arms reach of the bed... saying that I have had sleep sex, that involved me getting a condom out of a drawer across the room, and apply it correctly, which I did...! :|

And wow! I bet that was an unpleasant day! You didn't go around challenging people did you?
Yep. Lost every single time :D

and what did your significant other say about your attempt at some comatose action?