Stupid reasons to hate video games

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
We all have them, and I encountered one that was (to me) so bad, that I stopped playing Tomb Raider all together.

I hate the top she wears. Seriously, with all the running, jumping and swimming she has to do, not to mention all the bullets and sharp objects, how does her top not fall apart?! And every so often, when she climbs over the edge of a cliff, it's like they set the lighting how best to show off her curves. It was infuriating, wanting to pay a strong female character and not have to feel guilty when they have cutscenes that seem to have at least one shot of cleavage!

Does anyone else have a stupid reason for hating a video game?

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I hate playing UMVC3 sometimes solely because people always take things the wrong way and/or are just dicks in general and post match taunt and/or teabag. That is literally my only problem. People running horrific Swag Teams online? MorriDoom? Nova/Frank? No problem.

Nope, taunts. Go and ruin a perfectly good match why don't you? It's like everyone who played Vanilla, when they see I run Phoenix (that's Jean Gray Phoenix, not Dark Phoenix because I find DP to be a huge waste of 5 bars) OH MY GOD! THAT'S PHOENIX! THAT HORRIBLE OVERPOWERED *****! I'LL SHOW YOU, YOU ****! *Taunts* HA!

[sub][sub]This is why I stick to my BlazBlue[/sub][/sub]

I stopped playing TR myself because it got kind of boring and cliche towards the end. Ehhhhhhh... Yeah, "Ehhhhhhh" sums it up quite nicely. It was quite literally, hold forward, press jump to win for this prolonged "escape burning house" section that completely turned me off.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
GTA IV,

It's too brown!

[sub] no seriously that's why I stopped playing it![/sub]

Sack of Cheese

Sep 12, 2011
I have this friend who hated Skyrim because they can't find their way around the mountain. The map is bloody confusing sometimes so I can't really blame them.

I didn't like Witcher 1 because I hate men with long white hair. Thankfully, Witcher 2 let me cut it short. Not that good, but much better.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
I stopped playing Dragon's Dogma for a long time. The way the lips of any npc just didn't synch up with dialogue really, REALLY got on my nerves. Picked it up again recently though. Might as well try to finish it while it's laying there in my drawer. But I play mostly with sound off now.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Despite MGS 2 being one of my favorite games ever made, I quit playing 3 because I couldn't stand changing the camouflage. Pressing on, the rescue mission in that brick building made me lose hair and I haven't played it since.

I couldn't continue playing infamous because Cole's voice sounds like a burned voice box subjected to daily gravel milkshakes.

I quit Arkham City despite very much enjoying it because I couldn't stand all the trophies/bonus shit that was out of reach. I'm a completionist, and it drives me crazy to see things that seem accessible and wasting my time attempting to get them. They should all just appear once you have all your gadgets.

Um...I quit playing Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing because it was just too realistic, I'm not a simulation kind of guy.

Nick of Blades

Feb 27, 2010
I stopped playing Dragon Age: Origins because of The Fade. I was loving that game right up until then, just couldn't do it afterwards.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
I don't want to play starcraft 2 because I hated Kerrigan from the first one so much.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I used to refuse to play FPS games because when I looked down, I couldn't see my character's feet.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
Eclipse Dragon said:
I used to refuse to play FPS games because when I looked down, I couldn't see my character's feet.
That is one of my favourite things about the Battlefield 3 game, just because it is so new and novel for me.
OT: Battlefield 3. I rarely play it because the front box art is so stupid I don't even want to get it out.
Or Far Cry 2, the bad voice acting just really puts me off.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
A buddy of mine refuses to play any games that come on multiple discs because he absolutely hates switching discs.Always struck me as a pretty dumb reason not to play something

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Sack of Cheese said:
I didn't like Witcher 1 because I hate men with long white hair. Thankfully, Witcher 2 let me cut it short. Not that good, but much better.
Yep same here. I think he looks like too much of a douchebag in the first one that I don't think I'd be able to get over it while playing.

Devetta

Aug 14, 2009
If a game is really overhyped it puts me off playing it, the same goes for watching films. This means I often miss out on games I absolutely love for a few months/year (the plus side to this is I always get them cheaper).

I think it's due to past games, I've listened to other players and advertisements bang on about something in beta testing which really raises my expectations and gets me excited, only to be disappointed when it comes out as it's nothing like I imagined and the glitches/imperfections glare out at me more. So my brain has inbuilt an immediate "I hate ...." as soon as I hear people start raving about it.

The most recent example being Dead Island - I got so excited from watching the trailer and hearing all the hype and when it finally came out I was so disappointed I stopped playing after fifteen minutes and haven't touched it since.

Inconspicuous Trenchcoat

Shinku Hadouken!
Nov 12, 2009
The camera man in Skate 2 was the biggest douchebag companion NPC I've ever had. You don't see him except in cutscenes but he's always following you, because he's the camera man. Anyway, he makes fun of you, belittles you and makes all kinds of annoying comments about EVERYTHING you do. He could not be pleased! It was like you were his worst enemy, and he only pretends to be your friend so he can take you down from the inside. I'm almost never bothered by poor voice acting or "annoying" characters, but I really wanted to punch the camera man.

On top of that, everyone else was a huge moron. It was like the game was legitimately trying to convey the idea that going to jail (pretty much on purpose, to become "legit"), then being a waste of space for your whole life was awesome. This was especially strange being juxtaposed against the hammy opening live action skit they put at the beginning of the Skate games. The first Skate and Skate 3 don't seem to have this problem. But everyone in Skate 2 was like my moral enemy. Everything they spouted irked me, they were all horrible people who thought they were something special. I hate every single person in that game.

Luckily, you can turn voice volume off. This silenced everyone in the game, but I didn't care. At least I wouldn't have to listen to my jerk-ass camera man anymore. I also began to skip every cutscene; they were all just full of idiots being horrible and proud of it--I'm talking about their ideology, I'm okay with the idiocy of endangering your life on a skateboard :).

If I wasn't able to silence my cameraman and skip cutscenes, I would probably not be playing the game anymore (or learned to live playing with the TV muted).

Related note: Skate 3 had a similar, but much less vexing problem. Whenever you come within 100 yards of another Skater they freak out like you're trying to run them off the road. My own skate crew would do this whenever I called them in to free Skate together. The AI just whines and whines about you being a road hazard that's out to get them. I'll be nowhere near them and they freak out about how I'm a menace jerk-face for recklessly endangering them while I"M STANDING STILL DOING NOTHING! Yeah, that slowly built up and got on my nerves. It wasn't nearly as bad as Skate 2 though, I put up with it in 3. Sometimes I lose comps on purpose just to teach my AI idiot teammates a lesson :D.

Saladfork

Jul 3, 2011
Most stupid reason I have for hating a game? The World Ends With You, for the reason that some friends of mine who are huge into JRPGs told me that it was amazingly good only to try it and be left with mediocrity. Hated it for the hype.

Most stupid reason I've ever heard for hating a video game? "I don't like reading in my games."

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
For me, it's maps, especially if they're 2D.
You can have a map as long as I don't have to follow it, a la Bioshock, Dead Space (and Dead Space comes with a helpful pointer anyway). But the instant reading a map becomes a mandatory thing, I'm done. Nope, I don't care how good you are, you have a map I need to read and I'm not going to read it. The only map I can put up with is Metroid Prime's and I think it's because it has the best map I've ever seen. Full 3D with panning, zooming, rotating.
I actually like reading that one.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
For me, the most annoying by far are people who bash games that haven't come out yet because other people are 'too' excited about them. "Overhyped" is a word that should only be used AFTER a game is out and it can be supported as an argument with something other than cynicism.

I guess they're putting the hopeful people in their place?

R.Nevermore

Mar 28, 2008
Zeckt said:
I don't want to play starcraft 2 because I hated Kerrigan from the first one so much.
I'm curious, hated her for what she's done? Or because she was a poorly made character?

OT: I quit playing Antichamber because I felt like it was trying to be confusing for the sale of confusing. It didn't feel like genuine art, but rather art for art's sake and that fake feel hurt my playing experience.

The

Jan 24, 2012
I stopped playing Psychonauts because my Steam kept uninstalling it each time I opened it. Not exactly my fault, but still, I would have continued.