Stupid things said about video games.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Have you ever had one of those times that someone in your family or one of your friends says something extremely stupid about video games. Things that dont annoy you but just make you cringe by how nooby they are. There are two rules.

1) Nothing that has been said that is considered an attack on gaming, just really stupid things.
2)It has to have been said directly to you, so no things youve heard on websites or the news.

Ok my one would be when my mum always calls Any shooter of any kind a "shoot me up". Another one would be when I was trying to teach my dad to play portal 2. We had been playing for 10 minutes trying to get out of the first test chamber and he just said "what screen am I", the bad thing is that I had told him at the start and he got it then.

P.S. Can someone think of a better name for this thread, I couldnt think of anything good.

AMMO Kid

Jan 2, 2009
Same as above. My parents always call my 360 a GameCube, but that's just because I owned a GameCube first, and that was their first encounter with the gaming world.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
All video games are like Call of Duty or Halo -- eg. extremely violent, loads of guns and gore. Centered around killing people.

Seriously, when I'm playing Animal Crossing on my DS I'm not exactly murdering people with Uzi's....

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
That Video Games cause violent behavior in children when it is actually parents that corrupt their children.

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
My dad was watching my brother and I face off in Tekken. I was losing badly (my brother is a beast) and my dad just kept yelling at me "Move in on him! Move in on him!"

What the fuck does that even mean?

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
ScoopMeister said:
I've a friend who calls Kinect 'Kinetica', but that's about as stupid as it gets.
That's not really stupid, I think it's actually quiet funny/cute. I'm mean, seriously? Who ever uses the official name for things? I sure don't, see my life dedication to the video game series Femblem(Fire Emblem)

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
My Dad always refers to them as 'pointless baby games'.

We don't talk about gaming much...

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
The Monday after Battlefield 3 was announced, I walked into school to hear some classmates say, "so did you hear about bad company 3?"

The same people talking about that also once tried to convince me of the "super realism" of CoD.

*Facepalm*

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
shadyh8er said:
My dad was watching my brother and I face off in Tekken. I was losing badly (my brother is a beast) and my dad just kept yelling at me "Move in on him! Move in on him!"

What the fuck does that even mean?
It means move in on them. When a person is beating the crap outta you it may mean that your fighting to their rhythm. If you disrupt it then you may stand a chance to turn things around. Especially in Tekken.
(I main Sergei Dragunov, so saying 'move in' is pretty damn good advice for me)

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Of course, my friends have. My friends all play X-Box and I'm like one of the only Sony guy around. Now, I hate anybody's console discussions and comparisons, but when a guy starts talking out of his ass about things he doesn't understand - and he's an engineering student of all things - it's just piss-poor sad.

Basically, he said in your basic snobby tone that Shadow of the Colossus - beautiful and multi-system - was meant just for the X-Box. What a dick. I can't help but laugh when I see 'im now, knowing about the remake incoming. I've got nothing against anyone who owns an X-Box or a Wii, unless of course you're an ass about it. Hmmm... Maybe I shouldn't be saying things like ass and dick... People might get the wrong impress- Uhh, nothing to see here! AMNESIA DUST!!

Nazgual

Apr 16, 2011
Some girl interrupted me and a friend talking before a soccer match and asked "Are you talking about CoD?" - "No" - "Halo?"
"We're talking about films."

ScoopMeister

Mar 12, 2011
vrbtny said:
ScoopMeister said:
I've a friend who calls Kinect 'Kinetica', but that's about as stupid as it gets.
That's not really stupid, I think it's actually quiet funny/cute. I'm mean, seriously? Who ever uses the official name for things? I sure don't, see my life dedication to the video game series Femblem(Fire Emblem)
I know. I wish I had something a bit more 'stupid', but somehow all my friends/family are relatively sensible about the whole subject.

ManInRed

May 16, 2010
1. How can anyone play a game for X minutes? (Where X<60)

2. Why do you play that game, if it just makes you scream and swear at the screen?

3. So instead of going out finishing, you decided to stay in and play a game where you spent your time playing a finishing mini-game.

4. Any time a person states all games are just about killing people, while simultaneously claiming their vast gaming knowledge from having played Pong, a game that to my recollection does not involve killing any one.

5. Same as 4, but replace "killing" with "sex."

6. Girls don't play video games.

7. You're cheating. Quit button mashing. Stop using that move. Etc.

8. I'm an expert on Final Fantasy games, and I think 9 and 12 are the two best games of the series.

9. I've never play games on that console, but inherently know that all of its games suck.

10. I never collect items in dungeons, because it's a waste of time.

CrazyJuan77 said:
I suppose the best example I can come up with is that regardless what game or of what platform its being played on my mother always calls any video game "nintendo".
Really, I'm just impressed if my parents manage to pronounce "nintendo" right.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Captain Ninja said:
Tharwen said:
My Dad always refers to them as 'pointless baby games'.

We don't talk about gaming much...
I hope your dad sounds like the TF2 heavy soo much.
I can hardly think of anyone who sounds less like the heavy...

um...

Sorry.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
I was at a game store with my casual game playing friend, and she saw a trailer for Okami and said "that looks like the stupidest game ever made."

Melon Hunter

Chief Procrastinator
May 18, 2009
For a while after seeing me play the game of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, my dad treated the words 'Flipendo' and 'Nintendo' as interchangeable. Hilarity ensued whenever he tried to converse with me about gaming.

Also, the one line that really riles me up is 'Why are you getting another game machine when you have one just like it?'. And when you try to explain the differences between the console generations, even the most obvious ones, the person you're talking to rolls their eyes because they can't be bothered to listen.