Stupid things you hate about countries

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
There is a staggering amount of litter in Guatemala ruining what would be a gorgeous landscape.

It's because there's no public trash collection system, so if you want to not litter you have to drive all your trash down to wherever it's disposed of yourself. Also, there's no public trash receptacles where you can idly dump trash while walking down the street.

But the result is garbage strewn all over the ground, everywhere, especially the highways. It's awful.

odBilal

Feb 7, 2009
Fat_Hippo said:
Hmmm, since people have started bashing their own countries now, in the interest of fairness, I should probably bash my own nation.

The Swiss have no fucking fantasy whatsoever. Almost everyone I know thinks fantasy and science fiction are stupid. One guy I know even told me, that if something magical happens in almost any story, it ruins it for him. People are so goddamn hung up on realism over here, it's absurd. For a huge fantasy geek like myself, that is just plain boring. Of course, this isn't true for everyone, but it seems like the majority of the population denies all unrealistic fiction, aside from the big properties, like Lord of the Rings or Star Wars, for reasons I still don't understand.

Also, they're obsessed with names. I have an absolutely terrible memory for this sort of thing, but people often greet each other by saying the other persons name, and every time you have to greet some acquaintance, it's like some sort of goddamn test, whether you can remember their name or not. The end result is, that loads of people know my name, whereas I haven't got the foggiest idea what all these people are called. Of course, it isn't as if I care about most of these people, but it can still get kind of annoying.
Yeah, you're right with the names. Its kinda horrible if you have such a bad memory for names like I have.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
OT: I hate that the UK and the US are 2 countries seperated by a common language...

Seriously... Australia speak the same as us in the UK, and have very similar terms for things! However the US seem to rename/respell things for the sake of renaming/respelling them! Some of it is just stupid! Like 'biscuit'... seriously!? And Aluminium/Aluminum... Why!?
This. The thing that really grinds my gears is when they arbitrarily replace an 's' with a 'z' on certain words such as 'globalization' it just looks bloody stupid. >.:I

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
I love Americans but some of them do like to pronounce all their sentances like a question?

It makes me want to set fire to their genitals?

kaziard

Oct 28, 2008
Ickorus said:
Americans: Stop putting stupid people in charge of your country.
well cant really say that from a country who gave boris johnson power :p ( i know he isnt anything more than a mayor but still...)
EDIT: i suppose ill go with my own, why the neds scotland.... why?

wgmovies

May 26, 2009
hmmmm lets see my country is holland how can i make fun of that oh yea

TO ALL YOU TOURISTS OUR COUNTRY IS NOT JUST AMSTERDAM I UNDERSTAND YOU WANT TO SMOKE WEED BUT THERE ARE OTHER THINGS TO DO

maybe that came out wrong sorry

bro1667

Jul 21, 2010
well time to bash ye olde motherland hm? Denmark, why cant you play football? why are your politics so weird? Why do ben and jerry have to cost 60 kr?! (10 dollars) and how come a little 3rd grader can reference anything on the internet, WITH HIS IPHONE! and not know where bornholm is. (a island outside Sweden)

Denmark happiest place on earth, bah! Most exspensive and non-cultural? yep.

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
wgmovies said:
hmmmm lets see my country is holland how can i make fun of that oh yea

TO ALL YOU TOURISTS OUR COUNTRY IS NOT JUST AMSTERDAM I UNDERSTAND YOU WANT TO SMOKE WEED BUT THERE ARE OTHER THINGS TO DO

maybe that came out wrong sorry
Don't you want to keep all the pissed up English stumbling around shouting "LADS ON TOUR!" in a confined area though?

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
All of US politics.
You can discuss politics all you like, but in the end that stuff is broken. Lobbying, tribalism and the two party system...
Not that politics are all that great in other countries, but the stuff in the US is just out of hand.

I used to wonder why the American people who, individually, are in general great people keep electing these fucknuggets.
And why the republican party has any following at all is beyond me.
But I have slowly come to realize that the reason the politics don't reflect the actual people of the country is that the people don't actually choose their policies. It's all an illusion.

As for my own country: Taxes on cars are just obscene. If you want to buy a new car, you'll need to take up a loan.
And if you want a sports car of any sort you need to be a millionaire or pawn your house.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
kaziard said:
Ickorus said:
Americans: Stop putting stupid people in charge of your country.
well cant really say that from a country who gave boris johnson power :p ( i know he isnt anything more than a mayor but still...)
EDIT: i suppose ill go with my own, why the neds scotland.... why?
Ok, I'll concede your point.

English people: Stop putting stupid people in charge of your cities!

Rblade

Mar 1, 2010
the devaluation of the word hate is a bit disturbing. There are perfectly good alternatives like "don't get" or "consider strange". To discribe a nations oddity.

I really think we should reserve hate for Genocidal maniacs, rapists and the color green.

As for the OP. The only real gripe I have with some other nations is those that don't use the metric system. How are we going to explain to the aliens that in the time of the internet and international cooperation we are to caught up in traditions and stuborness to use 1 system. SI being Scientifically logical.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
Belgium and their tea. It tastes foul, really foul. They're only a ferry ride away, they should have good tea, but no, I had to drink coffee because the tea was that bad.

UK, most people are asshats, but that probably applies to nearly every country. Growing up in the nice area of the UK, moving to a city was a crappy experience for me, everyone is a douchebag, EVERYONE.

Psychedelic Spartan

Sep 15, 2011
Esotera said:
Tea really isn't that good. But the amount people drink here in the UK is ridiculous, you'd think it was free alcohol or something, when it actually just tastes like watered-down water.
DOn't let daystar hear that or you're screwed
OT: It's only in Baltimore, which is where I live. People are obsessed with a seasoning called Old Bay. It tastes like salty salt. I preferred living in NYC.

Scrubiii

Apr 19, 2011
Jazoni89 said:
Mafoobula said:
You know how there are a ton of jokes to be had about British dentistry? Those guy LOVE their sweets! Go anywhere in London, and you're probably a 10 minute walk from a shop filled to the ceiling with chocolates and candies and crap that uses sugar like Italians use olive oil and tomatoes.

And now, the obligatory in-the-interest-of-fairness bashing of my own dear USofA. We have a lot of bat-shit insane people in politics with way more power than I'm comfortable with. Oh, and it's even odds they're taking money from some interest group or another. Oil, coal, whatever.
Actually that's a stereotype.

We actually have some of the best dentistry in the world believe it or not. Mainly because most dentists are usually free on the NHS.

And sweet shops...where are those, I've never seen any, especially nowadays. You can't even find a shop around here with those huge jars of sweets anymore, like when I used to be a young lad.

I remember back in the day, when I bought a hundred cola bottles for a quid, and it made my whole week, getting them. *Shakes Stick*
The reason Americans talk about the British having "bad teeth" is less to do with the health of peoples teeth and more to do with the way they look. In Britain, if your teeth are crooked or irregular or a couple of shades of white away from perfect no-one really cares. In America, this stuff seems to be a much bigger deal, and surgery to sort it out is a lot more common.