Stupidest thing that someone has come back at you with in an argument.

Seives-Sliver

Jun 25, 2008
OhJohnNo said:
Seives-Sliver said:
This off-sets my first argument, but basicly I was arguing with my cousin who was an Atheist just because it was cool for him to be, not because he actually WAS one. We were arguing, and he came up with that gem, to which I curtly responded 'There doesn't need to be evidence, as long as someone believes in him, he exists'. Apparently he didn't understand the concept 'I think, therefore I am', and it confused the hell out of him, quite a show really.
Wait, what?

I believe in unicorns. Therefore, unicorns exist.
If you can't disprove it utterly, it could exist :3 Not to say that it -should- exist, I mean, I don't want to see Cthulu walking around, but no one can disprove that God exists, it's impossible to do.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Seives-Sliver said:
OhJohnNo said:
Seives-Sliver said:
This off-sets my first argument, but basicly I was arguing with my cousin who was an Atheist just because it was cool for him to be, not because he actually WAS one. We were arguing, and he came up with that gem, to which I curtly responded 'There doesn't need to be evidence, as long as someone believes in him, he exists'. Apparently he didn't understand the concept 'I think, therefore I am', and it confused the hell out of him, quite a show really.
Wait, what?

If you can't disprove it utterly, it could exist :3 Not to say that it -should- exist, I mean, I don't want to see Cthulu walking around, but no one can disprove that God exists, it's impossible to do.
This is definitely true, but what you originally said seemed completely different. Not being able to disprove his existence is one thing, saying that he definitely exists because someone believes in him is quite another.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
I've been told that homosexuality must be wrong because lots of Republican Americans think it is. *facepalm*

Seives-Sliver said:
Ummm... I'm not sure you understand the concept of "I think, therefore I am" :S

Seives-Sliver

Jun 25, 2008
OhJohnNo said:
Seives-Sliver said:
OhJohnNo said:
Seives-Sliver said:
Wait, what?

This is definitely true, but what you originally said seemed completely different. Not being able to disprove his existence is one thing, saying that he definitely exists because someone believes in him is quite another.
Indeed, I probably could have worded that a tad bit better, but often enough Captain Hindsight doesn't visit me until hours, if not days after the fact.

Seives-Sliver

Jun 25, 2008
Eamar said:
I've been told that homosexuality must be wrong because lots of Republican Americans think it is. *facepalm*

Seives-Sliver said:
Ummm... I'm not sure you understand the concept of "I think, therefore I am" :S
I understand the concept of it well enough, it's already been brought to my attention how I worded it rather poorly.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
Seives-Sliver said:
I understand the concept of it well enough, it's already been brought to my attention how I worded it rather poorly.
My point being that it's "I think therefore I am." For your example to work, it'd have to be God doing the thinking, not you.

Seives-Sliver

Jun 25, 2008
Eamar said:
Seives-Sliver said:
My point being that it's "I think therefore I am." For your example to work, it'd have to be God doing the thinking, not you.
Well, I was trying to use it as analogy for how if a person believes in God, then God exists, rather than someone being able to disprove God. Which I fixed the post so it should be more sensible, or at the very least, less open to being picked apart.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
Seives-Sliver said:
Well, I was trying to use it as analogy for how if a person believes in God, then God exists, rather than someone being able to disprove God. Which I fixed the post so it should be more sensible, or at the very least, less open to being picked apart.
I see. Best steer clear of using philosophical concepts as analogies in future, I guess... leads to all kinds of headaches. It's a problem with philosophy in general- being picked apart is pretty much the nature of the beast :p

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
"Why even bother fighting for X when Y is a way bigger issue" I've hard this several times. Also people how use attack a persons grammar to make them out as an idiot instead of addressing the arguments presented.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Spectral Dragon said:
"I don't believe in logic".
Sorry, what? This is the first time in a long while that my mouth just dropped. I cannot believe that someone said this.

OT: As usual, I get "You're gay" about a billion times in any given argument.

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
Dumbest thing I had... Someone called atheists a bunch of "genocidal neo-nazi's" and I simply replied "Hitler and the Nazis were closer to being christian than atheist" then he quickly replied with "Godwin's law at work again for the atheists!"
...as if he didn't mention them first, and I was merely making an observation off of HIS "point", plus Godwin's law doesn't state "discredit the entire conversation because I made an observance!" it simply says "It's bound to happen".

...The whole Godwin's law thing really gets me, the only reason I ever resort to using a Nazi analogy is if I believe the opposition is too stupid to understand any other form of point.

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
Leon Declis said:
When a religious person has used one of the following phrases:

"I feel sorry for you."
"I'll pray for you."
"Your faith in science is no better than mine in religion"
"Well, the Bible says this..."
"The Bible is a legitimate source of information."

Etc, etc. The first two, especially, just really get under my skin. Really, really get under my skin. The rest is simply a response to my many different sources, from philosophy, history and scientific reasons it's highly unlikely there is no God, as if the two are equal.
Ahh prayer, the best way to do nothing about a problem. The only reason that gets so under my skin as well is because I know FAR too many people that'll use prayer for ANYTHING. "Going to the mall <3" "Oh I'll pray for you!" Really people? Even if there is a God he wouldn't care about such insignificant things such as our daily duties. If anything he'd be looking at us like a bunch of ants on an anthill, does he care? no. can he tell the difference? no. does he occasionally get bored and pull out the magnifying glass?..

Spectral Dragon

Jun 14, 2011
redisforever said:
Spectral Dragon said:
"I don't believe in logic".
Sorry, what? This is the first time in a long while that my mouth just dropped. I cannot believe that someone said this.

OT: As usual, I get "You're gay" about a billion times in any given argument.
She was dead serious about it. She's hardcore christian to the point of...

"Well, you didn't SEE the big bang, so you can't be sure it happened!"
"Well, if you heard a crash, and saw a cat run out of a room, and you see a smashed cup in there, you can't be sure the cat knocked over the cup either, can you?"
"... I believe God saw the cat knock over the cup!"

And that's... Well, logical to her. She thinks nothing of my earthly logic, preferring her heavenly logic. Or something. There's plenty more quotes from that debate, but that's not why I'm he- oh wait. It's just a lot that require more context. But not believing in logic... I've never heard anything like it before or after.

Captcha: quotations. Oddly fitting. I'm quoting someone quoting me quoting someone else.

loudestmute

Oct 21, 2008
Her: "I've never seen Ghostbusters before, sorry I didn't get your joke."
Me: "How could you not have seen Ghostbusters? That movie's been out longer than you've been alive!"
Her: "I'm sorry, I was too busy being molested by my father when I was that age to bother watching movies."
Me: "...There may be less appropriate times to reveal that information, but damned if I can think of any right now."

BRex21

Sep 24, 2010
the dumbest comeback I hear, and hear often, is some variation on "the unpopularity of my idea means it must be right". I'm sure you have all heard some jackass say this, I've seen it a couple times around here but my personal favorite instance was from some protestors at work stating that eating GMO's will cause your tissues to break down and the lack of evidence is clearly proof that this is true.
Also... Why is my captcha a Dunkin donuts ad? We don't have those in Winnipeg.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
If I have a disagreement with one of my friends, no matter where we are or what we are discussing, he will tell me to prove my side of things there and then but, because I can't for whatever reason (like not being able to get on the internet right at that moment), it automatically proves him right. If I tell him to prove his side of things, he will just tell me to prove mine. It gets really annoying really quickly

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
"whatever"

People use this to end arguments they and everyone else knows they lost, yet stubbornly believe they won the argument. You lost, man up and deal with it.
Not necessarily. When I'm arguing religious people they tend to use idiotic arguments like "it says so in the Bible" or "you'll see when you die and when in hell you fry". I respond to those idiocies with "whatever" because I have no desire to deal with idiots.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
NinjaDeathSlap said:
"Nobody cares!"

God I fucking hate this one. Someone starts an argument with you, so you start to actually explain your point of view to them, or disproving theirs, using facts, evidence, and logic in the hope that you might achieve something more than an endless back and forth of "You're wrong!"/"No, you're wrong!". But then, when it twigs that they don't actually have any ammunition to back up their opinion, they bail with something along the lines of "Don't shit yourself about it. Man, why do you have to get so serious about everything? Nobody cares!"; and then they act all smug and superior, as if quitting before you can lose is equivalent to a victory. Best part is, if you refuse to accept this bullshit tactic and continue regardless, you now get painted as an uptight wanker, and they just get to sit there, marinating in their own ego in front of their equally idiotic friends.

Oh, how I would just love to be able to reply without consequence... "Well, obviously you care, otherwise why would you start the fucking argument in the first place, let alone bail because you're too afraid of looking bad in public as your precious little opinions get torn to pieces by the guy who's actually thought his side through, YOU FUCK?!"
I have always hated this one. One of those idiotic little injustices in life you can never get around.

SweetLiquidSnake

Jan 20, 2011
I find that if someone disagrees but deep down knows you're right and doesnt really have an argument they just go for grammar as a last resort. Like you'll give them a 5 paragraph response clearly proving them wrong but you'll accidently say "your" instead of "you're" and its like "its you're! you're so stupid, i win!" Grammar is always the last stand for the man with no argument.

And I also love how most uneducated morons on here suddenly become philosophy and logical thinking majors on here, whipping out terms like strawman or ad hominem to sound smart. Like its an internet argument, who gives a shit?