Stupidest twist a story has used

ParanoidEngineer

May 20, 2009
There was this one episode of Hawaii Five-0, the reboot.

After a lengthy investigation, in which they have pretty much nailed down a suspect, Chin Ho and Kono are talking to Max, the coroner, who then tells them about a series of murders similar to the one they are investigating. So then they go after him. What the hell? So why did you waste my fucking time with the rest of that?

That seems to happen a lot in Hawaii Five-0, the "Okay, so we have basically nailed this guy, but actually we think it was this guy we introduced thirty seconds ago"

Ebalance

Dec 31, 2010
In The Wizard of Oz they have the "It was a dream thing"... then again it was pretty obvious... and BTW in the book series Oz is REAL... that always upsets me b/c I'm a huge fan of the books, and L Frank Baum's work in general. Nobody gets it rights...

Ebalance

Dec 31, 2010
Are you talking about the play, b/c in the play it's an illusion... they only THINK the forest is coming alive... it's an army disguising themselves with branches... etc.

Rockus

Jun 7, 2010
Inception . . .

. . .ok, it's probably not the same thing as what ya'll mean, but I was on my floor gibbering and screaming for that goddamn top to fall over. I'm pretty sure the director's cut of the film is going to be exactly the same up until that last shot, which will be extended by five seconds, only Christopher Nolan will walk into frame, flick the top off the table and flip off the camera.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Soulfoodman said:
"I/He is your real father."
This one is more hit and miss then pure hate. I liked it in Star Wars, Wanted, and probably a couple of other times, but this can be sooooo cliched. And I absolutely hate it when any comedy does a parody of the Star Wars scene. It is never funny. Just really really lame.
I guess I'm a little off topic.
In my opinion, the Space Balls and Robot Chicken parodies of that are the only funny one's that I've seen.

The Space Balls version-

And the Robot Chicken version (sound and text only, I can't find the actual clip from the show)

Necator15

Jan 1, 2010
The worst I've seen is in Taken.

When Liam Neeson's chasing the guy who led the kidnappers to his daughter, and he just about catches up with him and BOOM! Hit by a bus.
My only response to that was: Really? Fucking really? Couldn't have thought of any better way to take him out of the picture?

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
B-Rye said:
Metal Gear Solid's many plot twists
Which ones in particular? And are you talking about the original MGS or the entire series?

No_Remainders said:
Actually, any of Dan Brown's books have stupid plot twists...

Did someone say "Angels and Demons"?

The pope branded himself and is actually a bad guy... WHAT?
Actually...

It was the camerlengo, not the pope, silly. And I thought Angels and Demons was actually a lot better than Da Vinci Code, Digital Fortress, Lost Symbol, etc. But that's just me.

EDIT:

twistedmic said:
In my opinion, the Space Balls and Robot Chicken parodies of that are the only funny one's that I've seen.
My favorite RC Star Wars scene (not a parody, but still):

<youtube=3F1d3QWsyk0>

B-Rye

Jan 19, 2010
Thunderhorse31 said:
B-Rye said:
Metal Gear Solid's many plot twists
Which ones in particular? And are you talking about the original MGS or the entire series?

No_Remainders said:
Actually, any of Dan Brown's books have stupid plot twists...

Did someone say "Angels and Demons"?

The pope branded himself and is actually a bad guy... WHAT?
Actually...

It was the camerlengo, not the pope, silly. And I thought Angels and Demons was actually a lot better than Da Vinci Code, Digital Fortress, Lost Symbol, etc. But that's just me.
Just the way they are strung together. Solidus, Liquid and Solid Snake turning out to be imperfect clones of Big Boss. Liquid dying then coming back somehow through Ocelot's new arm, only for that to really be him having gone serious psychohypnosis and not really be Liquid, how Big Boss was really alive all that time.

The biggest disappointment for me was when Snake actually did not off himself. Its not that I like watching suicides, but the story and the game had been constructed to a point that there was not much else you could do with the character. Then, in comes a long-winded monologue from Big Boss who explains that the virus Snake is carrying was tailored to kill everyone involved with the Big Conspiracy. Snake gets to retire and we're left going "huh?"

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the games mostly. If half of the plot twists did not just spring themselves from the ether, then I might have received them better, in my humble opinion.

Nice username by the way, love Dethklok

Fenra

Sep 17, 2008
Anything along the lines of "dont you recognise me, I'm you from the future"... I mean my brain has a hard time coprehending time travel in the first place, people throwing those in as deus ex machina's just irritates me

galdon2004

Mar 7, 2009
DesiPrinceX09 said:
Ever since star wars with the whole "Luke, I am your father" thing, many stories have used the twist that the bad guy is really the main character's father (or brother or any other close family member). I think that lately this twist has been done a lot.
ToS did that one; I remember playing it and thinking "Kratos has to either be evil, or Lloyd's dad" ...he was both

pandasaw

Mar 18, 2011
twistedmic said:
GigaHz said:
"it was all a dream"

Really? So then the experience was a complete waste of time.
Which movie had the 'it was all a dream' twist specifically? I know that a soap opera did that to fix a couple of seasons worth of colossal fuck-ups, but I cn't think of any movies that had that type of twist.
North had the 'it was all a dream' twist, and it was a really bad movie before the twist.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/7838-north

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
the_baku_eats_dreams said:
"The trees are angry" The happening
Thank you! That movie was so fucking stupid. Hey guys the trees are attacking, let's all go outside where they all are at! YEAH!

Also The Village, that movie was pretty decent up until the twist. After the twist I said "DONE!" and turned the movie off.

SpaceCop

Feb 14, 2010
Dead Rising.

The zombies aren't caused by a virus or evil sorcery or some shit; it's wasps that parasitically infect and control their hosts? That's actually pretty inventive and cool.

So, where'd the wasps come from? A US government experiment? Well, that's a little cliche, but at least their motives were... To increase beef production? Wait, what? And more importantly, fucking HOW? I get lost somewhere between "make fatter cows", "parasitic wasps" and "zombie goddamn apocalypse".

And hey, great, humans being turned into mindless walking meat, what profound dramatic irony and societal commentary... Because lord knows nothing involving zombies has ever made those connections before.

And wait, if wasp larvae in your brain is what turns you into a zombie, how does being bitten by zombies infect you? If we've established that being bitten turns you into a zombie in less than a day, how does Frank survive the first three quarters of the game when there are zombies biting him fucking constantly?

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
Note:My 11-yr-old cousin, who has never played a Resident Evil game, was able to figure this one out.
JILL IS ALIVE!!!111ONE
At least it was sorta lampshaded with Wesker saying that Chris was "so slow to catch on."

Also, this little conversation I had with my band director about Shutter Island:

B.D.: So how was Shutter Island?

Me: Meh, it was good, but you can see the twist coming from a mile away.

BD: *sighs* DiCaprio was crazy the whole time wasn't he?

Me: *nods*

galdon2004

Mar 7, 2009
Aprilgold said:
DesiPrinceX09 said:
Ever since star wars with the whole "Luke, I am your father" thing, many stories have used the twist that the bad guy is really the main character's father (or brother or any other close family member). I think that lately this twist has been done a lot.
The thing is, he didn't GOD DAMN say it, he was just so FUCKING muffled from the coustume, no one understood his REAL line. His real line was that his father was an idiot or something, and some sound guy, probably the BIGGEST douche in the world thought "OH EVERYONE, I HEARD I AM YOUR FATHER, CHANGE THE SCRIPT!" IT was never his FUCKING line, so why does every FUCKING movie have to continue the bad fuck up?
Just so you know; that is untrue. I just looked up the facts; they made a fake line which is disputed between 'Obi Wan is your father' and 'Obi Wan killed your father' to give to Prowse because they knew he couldn't keep a secret. The real line was only told to Hamill the night before the shooting in order to keep the actual plot twist that Darth Vader was his father a secret.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
galdon2004 said:
Aprilgold said:
DesiPrinceX09 said:
The thing is, he didn't GOD DAMN say it, he was just so FUCKING muffled from the coustume, no one understood his REAL line. His real line was that his father was an idiot or something, and some sound guy, probably the BIGGEST douche in the world thought "OH EVERYONE, I HEARD I AM YOUR FATHER, CHANGE THE SCRIPT!" IT was never his FUCKING line, so why does every FUCKING movie have to continue the bad fuck up?
Just so you know; that is untrue. I just looked up the facts; they made a fake line which is disputed between 'Obi Wan is your father' and 'Obi Wan killed your father' to give to Prowse because they knew he couldn't keep a secret. The real line was only told to Hammel night before the shooting in order to keep the actual plot twist that Darth Vader was his father a secret.
DAMNIT BIOGRAPHY, YOU LIED TO ME AGAIN! Thats at least to where I learned it wasn't the true line or something, DAMN YOU TO HELL BIOGRAPHY CHANNEL AND YOUR ADDICTING LEARNINGS OF FAMOUS PEOPLE! Also, WHAT WRITER ONLY WRITES A NIGHT BEFORE A SHOOTING!? Doh well, thanks.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
The Bible

Jesus dies in the end but then comes back to life, talk about your Deus Ex Machinas.

Okay, I was just kidding with that one. On a more serious note.

James Herbert's The Haunting.

The family he's staying with are the ghosts. It was fucking obvious from the start.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
The Wizard of Oz: The Judy Garland version, where it turns out to have been all a dream. Just to make sure that any kids suffering from the delusion that magic is only real in the movies will understand that actually, it's not even real in the fictional world of the movies.