Stupidest twist a story has used

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
pandasaw said:
twistedmic said:
GigaHz said:
"it was all a dream"

Really? So then the experience was a complete waste of time.
Which movie had the 'it was all a dream' twist specifically? I know that a soap opera did that to fix a couple of seasons worth of colossal fuck-ups, but I cn't think of any movies that had that type of twist.
North had the 'it was all a dream' twist, and it was a really bad movie before the twist.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/7838-north
What about Jacob's Ladder? Also, I think Inception relied pretty heavily on the whole "it was all a dream".

The Matrix also relied on it pretty heavily, too. Although it's more of a "simulation", but they're pretty much the same plot device.

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
For those complaining about the "OH SHEESH Y'ALL, 'TWAS A DREAM" twist...you may or may not have heard about ab awesome British sitcom called The Brittas Empire. It had Chris Barrie (Rimmer from Red Dwarf, woot!) as a leisure center manager, and while it's more-or-less irrelevant now, in the nineties it was pretty big and ran for seven whole seasons and six years.

Then came the last episode, wherein the main character was pecked awake by a bird, only to find that he was dozing on the bus, on his way to apply for a position as manager of a leisure center, and that the entire last half-decade worth of episodes were all just a dream.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Aprilgold said:
Also, WHAT WRITER ONLY WRITES A NIGHT BEFORE A SHOOTING!? Doh well, thanks.
It does go a long way towards explaining the prequel trilogy, haw haw haw.

Casual Shinji said:
Pirates of The Caribbean: All of it.

That entire trilogy was stupid plot twist after stupid plot twist.
I dunno. The plot got pretty convoluted, but I don't ever remember there being any actual "twists" - just a lot of dicking around to pad out the trilogy.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
I love the games, but pretty much all of "Metal Gear Solid", especially the second game, which made me seriously consider just giving up on the series altogether by the end. Thankfully MGS3 kinda patched it all up a bit, but still... what a mess!

In movie and TV terms, all of "Lost", for the exact same reasons. I could pretty much envision the writers going "Shit guys, we haven't been canceled yet, now what?!" after each episode.

Crow-like

Nov 9, 2010
Aliens are responsible for not only everything in the bible, but everything that ever happened in Assassin's Creed.

pandasaw

Mar 18, 2011
k-ossuburb said:
pandasaw said:
twistedmic said:
GigaHz said:
"it was all a dream"

Which movie had the 'it was all a dream' twist specifically? I know that a soap opera did that to fix a couple of seasons worth of colossal fuck-ups, but I cn't think of any movies that had that type of twist.
North had the 'it was all a dream' twist, and it was a really bad movie before the twist.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/7838-north
What about Jacob's Ladder? Also, I think Inception relied pretty heavily on the whole "it was all a dream".

The Matrix also relied on it pretty heavily, too. Although it's more of a "simulation", but they're pretty much the same plot device.
Inception did not have an 'it was all a dream' twist. Everything that happened in Inception was important to the plot, and nothing in that movie felt like a waste of time. Everything that happened in Inception mattered, and that is more than what I can say about North.

J_Monsterface

Aug 8, 2011
twistedmic said:
GigaHz said:
"it was all a dream"

all david lynch movies can (almost) be explained this way, but i actually love those movies

the worst twist i ever saw was in elfen lied

that show had so much potential...

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
"I am surprisingly alright because I have a secret technique or trick that you did not know about or could have possibly known about but which I shall explain to the audience now, after the fact!"

Everything does this. From anime to video games to Harry Potter. It gets tiresome. "Why aren't you dead" *Deep breath* "Allow me to explain..."

dark metal prince

Aug 18, 2010
No_Remainders said:
Dan Brown's "Digital Fortress".

So, basically, the delta force team turns out to be BEING CONTROLLED BY THE HEAD OF THE NSA! Shock horror... Out of absolutely, fucking NOWHERE.
That was actually "Deception Point", still I have to agree with that one.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
Thunderhorse31 said:
Actually...

It was the camerlengo, not the pope, silly. And I thought Angels and Demons was actually a lot better than Da Vinci Code, Digital Fortress, Lost Symbol, etc. But that's just me.
My bad. I must've forgotten...

Shrug. Still ridiculous.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Bionic Commando. It just goes to show that Capcom can turn a game about a Nazi killer in a green jumpsuit with a robot arm and sunglasses into pure stupidity. However, I do want to buy Bionic Commando Rearmed from the XBLA, because the only thing that could make the NES version cooler is HD graphics and incredibly cool sounding techno music.
And no stupid, stupid, stupid plot twist.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
dark metal prince said:
No_Remainders said:
Dan Brown's "Digital Fortress".

So, basically, the delta force team turns out to be BEING CONTROLLED BY THE HEAD OF THE NSA! Shock horror... Out of absolutely, fucking NOWHERE.
That was actually "Deception Point", still I have to agree with that one.
So it was! Oh well..

They were both very ridiculous books.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
the_baku_eats_dreams said:
"The trees are angry" The happening
Aw damn,you stole my answer!
OT:pretty much this,I can't really imagine it so whenever I think about it I think that in that universe,trees are the equivalent of Satan. ("Trees caused 9/11!!!")

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
Device stolen from the most evil thing in the universe has just been installed in our starship. Before we turn it on,I think I'd be a brilliant idea to get anyone who can defend themselves off the ship. What possibly could go wrong.

Magicmad5511

May 26, 2011
Simply "Our only weapon is destroyed.""No it isn't, the power was within you all along."
While this sometimes works, most of the time all I can think is that this would have happened much quicker if you'd mentioned that at the beginning.

Either that or the "We will defeat you because we are good and your evil", with Yugioh being partlicularly annoying often changing the rules to fit the side of good. This also counts toward the I won by luck.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
The ending of the movie version of The Mist
The dad kills the rest of the survivors including his son, only to run out of bullets before he reaches himself. Now he has to die alone when the evil creatures come out of the mist to rip him apart. But wait! moments after he kills his son, the mist clears and the army rolls by! My god they are saved!.....oh wait

ragsmorrison

Sep 1, 2010
I would have to go with Yahtzee Croshaw's favorite bad plot twist of "Your partner's been working for the bad guy all along." By basic logic it makes no sense, and in terms of entertainment value it is friggin boring

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
How did you defeat my power of fear?!
With the power that is in everyone and is stronger then fear.....courage!
I see *dies

...Sometimes morals just don't belong

DatCracker

Nov 3, 2010
aegix drakan said:
*ahem*

WHY IS HIS WIFE AN ARM?!?

Seriously, that was....mindblowingly bad.
This, and the Liquid Snake arm twist.
All twists involving human arms are the worst :/