Suggest good non superhero comics.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
It's set in the DC universe, but Gotham Central follows the ordinary police and detectives who work in Gotham City. It's an interesting look at normal people in a world where a lot of criminals they have to try and arrest have super powers, and the psychological effect it has on the force. I was able to read and understand it fine despite not having much knowledge of the DC universe when I started reading it.

I also found Y: The Last Man pretty interesting.

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
Tratchet said:
Cool, already lots of good suggestions. I really like, I've seen the walking dead at the book store, but I think I'll give it a try. A number of these I'm more or less familiar with from searching TV tropes and looking through the bookstore, but I don't think I've ever heard of Bone, and it looks pretty interesting. I'll have to check it out. Also, I've had my eye on Hellblazer, so I might check that out as well. Also, are the Dresden files books good? I've heard a good amount of references to them, and I might check them out.

Kpt._Rob said:
Well, the Walking Dead is pretty amazing.

And may I ask if the thing that turns you off to DC and Marvel is the continuity? Because I hear a lot of people say it, and it's something that used to scare me too. But it's like learning to swim, all you really have to do is jump into the deep end of the pool, and your need to survive will do the rest. Hell, I've found that the continuity is one of the best parts, the DCU (which is what I read from) is the biggest single continuous story ever written (possible exceptions for the Marvel universe, I don't know which is bigger). Once you jump in, you find it all but impossible not to be tantalized by the unbelievably huge back story. Just a thought.
I won't deny, the continuity is a part of it, It's fairly daunting, but there are a couple of other reasons why I don't feel Marvel and DC superhero comics are right for me. One of the biggest is that if I started to get into a universe as expansive as these I'd want to know everything about the universe. while this would most certainly be possible, it would take a very long time and a lot of money, which I can't spare at the moment. Another big thing is that, from what I understand, books featuring the same characters are often written by different people (I'm not sure about this, tell me if I'm wrong). This is somewhat of a pet peeve of mine, as it would only take one crappy writer to completely ruin a character that I've grown to care about. I think the last thing is the knowledge that the big series are unlikely to ever end. But who knows, maybe someday I'll get into it, especially taking into account DC's upcoming reboot.
Hate to break it to you friend, but Hellblazer is a DC property. One of my favorites actually. But even in his early days John Constantine hung out with other DC characters like Swamp Thing. Hell, right now he's in a miniseries (which, incidentally, is awesome) where he's working with Batman and Zatanna (and supposedly Superman will show up at some point, since he was on the cover of the first.) to try and find Swamp Thing because of the events occurring at the conclusion of Brightest Day. And after the DC relaunch(1) he's going to be in a running series, Justice League: Dark, alongside Shade: The Changing Man, Zatanna, Madame Xanadu, and Deadman.

Anyways, you may underestimate the depth of the DCU if you think that understanding it in its entirety would be possible even with unlimited funds. However, if you've watched any of Movie Bob's Big Picture episodes (especially the one called Containanity) you're probably aware that DC has on multiple occasion seriously altered the continuity of the DCU, meaning that large portions of the history aren't even cannon anymore. That can be good or bad, but it can also seriously help with one of the pet-peeves you mentioned. Yes, it is true that heroes are not always written by the same author (in the case of some, like Superman, Batman, or Wonder Woman the original authors are dead). And every now and again a bad author does get ahold of a hero. But you can take solace in the realization that these sections of history often get retconned out of continuity.

The history of the DCU itself is a living breathing thing, capable of change. To understand it in its entirety is all but impossible. You can let that turn you off to it if you want (I'll admit that it turned me off to it at first), however, and I can't emphasize this enough, it would have been a mistake in my case to let that fear of never knowing the whole story prevent me from enjoying what I could. Comics have become one of my big joys in life. The anticipation I feel waiting for comic book Wednesdays is almost palpable at times. I love getting just one more hit of the story. Can I promise you that you'd feel the same if you gave it a chance? No, absolutely not. But I can say that if you are capable of enjoying these stories as much as I am, it'd be a shame for you to miss out on one of the most unique storytelling forms around.

(1) As a quick aside, it's actually not a reboot, it's a relaunch, which may sound the same, but there are some important differences. Things aren't just starting over. Right now, there's a big event going on in the DCU called Flashpoint. I don't want to give away too much of the amazing plot, but the big point is that Eobard Thwayne (the Reverse Flash) is messing with history. The end result isn't going to be that the characters all start over at the beginning, but instead it's going to be that they all end up at a place where it's really easy to pick up their stories and it won't require deep knowledge of continuity, but some events occurring before Flashpoint will probably remain within continuity. For instance, Blackest Night and Brightest Day will probably remain cannon.

Mr_spamamam

Mar 4, 2009
Sleeper is pretty good, i suppose you could say its about super heros, but its more about the super criminals than anything else.
There is also the excellent Preacher comics done by garth Ennis, and the Mighty Mr Moore's V for Vendetta.

William Keller

Jul 25, 2011
In case you're interested in political/social thrillers, you might want to check out some of Enki Bilal's work: The Nikopol Trilogy, The Chaos Effect, Exterminator 17, The Town That Didn't Exist and so on.

Lonely Swordsman

Jun 29, 2009
Sandman
Transmetropolitan
Orcstain
Hellblazer
Planetary
Scott Pilgrim
Savage Sword of Conan
Bitches love Spider-Man AKA Spider-Man loves Mary Jane (features characters from Marvel superheroes but is mostly a teen romance drama)

Daniel Janhagen

Mar 28, 2011
Tratchet said:
I don't mind if they're French or Japanese.
Had written a complete post with motivations and stuff, but decided you probably just want the names, so here's a list: ;)

(Assuming that Belgian is ok too)
Blueberry
Bernard Prince
The Nikopol trilogy (edit: someone beat me to it as I was typing!)
Tintin (The Blue Lotus and later adventures - the earlier ones are a bit rough)
Lucky Luke
Spirou (the ones by Franguin or Tome & Janry)

I also like almost everything by Daniel Clowes, Ghost World and David Boring especially.

x-machina

Sep 14, 2010
TheKruzdawg said:
I Am Legend is supposed to be very good and actually very different from the movie from what I've heard.
I am Legend is a novel, there might be a comic book adaption. But it certainly isn't the source material.

The Maxx, at first glance it looks like a superhero comic, but it is really dealing with a whole subconscious fantasy thing. Watch the MTV series, it's only about 10 episodes long and I gurantee that you'll want to read all of the comics.

Geekiest

Jan 21, 2011
Fables - Yes, it's DC, but it's not Super-Hero, despite similarities in it's narrative framing.
Courtney Crumrin - Absolutely lovely little series about a little girl discovering dark magic secrets. A must for anyone who loves Gaiman-level awesome and flavor.
The Dresden Files -Graphic novels based on the best-selling books. Amazing, highly encourage looking at the books too, they're even better.

Hm. That's just off the top of my head stuff that people haven't mentioned yet...

Tratchet

Jul 22, 2011
Kpt._Rob said:
Thanks, that's a very well thought argument for looking into the DC Universe. I'll consider giving it a shot at some point.

For the people who've suggested it, I've heard Preacher is good, and a friend of mine has pretty much all the issues, so I might borrow it from him.

LeafofStone

Nov 19, 2009
Ok for a japanese manga, you have to look up Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service (Kurosagi Shintai Takkyubin). Simply one of the best manga ever. How do I back up such a claim? Well you know when one of the main characters is a foul mouthed alien conciousness channelled into a sock puppet you are in for a good time.

derob

Feb 17, 2011
check out anything by Jason. I own about five or six of his graphic novels, and they're always top notch stuff. I'd personally recommend "the left bank gang" (though some familiarity with American and French authors after WWII is needed in order to fully enjoy the work) or "why are you doing this".

Anything by Daniel Clowes is usually pretty good. Both the writing and artwork are the sort that can stand their own along some of the most popular comic book artists today. "Pussey!" is one of the more recent ones I've read by him.

Chris Ware is also a good one, but his work is a little more sentimental than the other two (not to mention much heftier, with the page count of some of his more popular works going towards the mid 300's).

Deathlyphil

Mar 6, 2008
Rising Stars.

It follows the lives of a group of people gifted with abilities through their lives. Epically told, well thought out, and also complete in three volumes. An alternative take on superheroes and shows what normal humans probably would do if we felt threatened by them.

Deathlyphil

Mar 6, 2008
VMK1991 said:
You must definetly read Transmetropolitan and Preacher.
Transmet is is insanely good. Guns, politics, sex, rants, filthy assistants, and a bowel disrupter gun all feature...

Tratchet

Jul 22, 2011
Geekiest said:
Fables - Yes, it's DC, but it's not Super-Hero, despite similarities in it's narrative framing.
Courtney Crumrin - Absolutely lovely little series about a little girl discovering dark magic secrets. A must for anyone who loves Gaiman-level awesome and flavor.
The Dresden Files -Graphic novels based on the best-selling books. Amazing, highly encourage looking at the books too, they're even better.

Hm. That's just off the top of my head stuff that people haven't mentioned yet...
I really like Fables, and I really like stories about stories in general.

I do love Neil Gaiman, not only for Sandman but for his novels also. I'll have to take a look at Courtney Crumrin.

FluxCapacitor

Apr 9, 2009
Deathlyphil said:
VMK1991 said:
You must definetly read Transmetropolitan and Preacher.
Transmet is is insanely good. Guns, politics, sex, rants, filthy assistants, and a bowel disrupter gun all feature...
Thirding for truth - Transmet, Preacher and Watchmen would be 3 of the finest, most intelligent comic runs ever... Also, Y: The Last Man is pretty good too.

Tratchet

Jul 22, 2011
thanks for all the great suggestions everyone. I'm going to sign out now, but I'll be on tomorrow if anyone has more ideas.