Suggest PC games that can fill a Bloodborne-shaped hole in my heart, that aren't Dark Souls.

LordFeast58

Mar 17, 2011
SweetShark said:
Risingblade said:
SweetShark said:
Risingblade said:
Skyrim and kingdoms of Amalur
Yes, because killing dragons in Dark Souls was so easy like in Skyrim.
I never played Skyrim, but when I saw a bear killing a freaking dragon, I flip my sh*ts and never saw it very seriously ever again.
Kingdom of Alamur I think is very colorful, but maybe I am wrong.
Dragons are tied to your level so it's common for strong creatures to fair well against dragons while you're low level. If you fancy a challenge there are mods that rebalance the combat system and of course if you want to be overpowered as fuck there's that option as well.
Sorry to being like this, but Dark Souls mean a lot to me being one of my favourite games of all time.
I want to say so many details why I love it so much, but I will admit I am lazy.
So if Skyrim is our game, good for you my friend.
If Skyrim is too easy and PC is your friend, mod the hell out of that game and make it one of the most challenging game you've ever played, if you can keep your hands off the console command, of course. Go to Skyrim Nexus and see the most recommended style of gameplay mod that probably resembles the difficulty of Dark Souls' game. One good example of mod is the "Deadly Dragons" mod that makes the dragon kills you in one fire breath and take minutes or hours to kill a single dragon if you're not good enough.

Of course, I don't know which game that can cater with Bloodbourne. Lol.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Denamic said:
LucasGrimms said:
Denamic said:
ninja666 said:
Denamic said:
There are no Dragons in Dark Souls 2.
That's not a real dragon.
There is at least one, the red dragon from dark souls 1 sits in front of the old dragonslayers gate in scholar of the first sin
That's a drake. Dragons in Dark Souls are ancient, immortal, and highly intelligent beings. Drakes are really big lizards that resemble dragons. Dragons are god-like beings. Drakes are animals.
Dragons have immortal scales, but are clearly killable as demonstrated in the opening cutscene.

Kalameet was a dragon - specifically either the last or second last of the eternal dragons - totally mortal and of middling AI intelligence. Seath was smart, but he wasn't immortal - he had to specifically steal the artifact that would grant him immortality and consequently blinded him and drove him insane (because he didn't have the immortal scales other dragons had). The stone dragon is really the only one that meets your criteria for a dragon, but doesn't demonstrate any noteworthy intelligence.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
EvilRoy said:
Denamic said:
LucasGrimms said:
Denamic said:
ninja666 said:
Denamic said:
There is at least one, the red dragon from dark souls 1 sits in front of the old dragonslayers gate in scholar of the first sin
That's a drake. Dragons in Dark Souls are ancient, immortal, and highly intelligent beings. Drakes are really big lizards that resemble dragons. Dragons are god-like beings. Drakes are animals.
Dragons have immortal scales, but are clearly killable as demonstrated in the opening cutscene.

Kalameet was a dragon - specifically either the last or second last of the eternal dragons - totally mortal and of middling AI intelligence. Seath was smart, but he wasn't immortal - he had to specifically steal the artifact that would grant him immortality and consequently blinded him and drove him insane (because he didn't have the immortal scales other dragons had). The stone dragon is really the only one that meets your criteria for a dragon, but doesn't demonstrate any noteworthy intelligence.
The 'immortality' part refers to them being timeless, as in they live forever, or rather indefinitely. Their scales also renders them immune to most ailments like poison and curses. They are also very tough so they serve as armor as well. Obviously, they're not truly immortal because then they would still be around. Also, I don't think their behaviour due to their programming is an accurate way to assess their intelligence as characters. If that were the case, every character in the game are retarded, including the player. Seath was unique in that he was born without scales, so he went on to create sorcery and betray his own kind in his quest to find a replacement for the scales of immortality. Eventually, he ended up making crystal magic and going insane. Whether or not that could be considered a success, I dunno. Kalameet was indeed a dragon, as was the stone dragon. And the toothy vagina monster, for that matter.

If you'd reread my post(s), however, I said there were no true dragons in Dark Souls 2. All of the ones you listed are from Dark Souls 1 and its DLC, and they are no longer around. Save for maybe the stone dragon, but he doesn't make an appearance anyway.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Sorry to be late to answer you, but work and real life get in my way.
After I search my GIANT lists I have, here are some recommendations of videogames with dark atmosphere you may like:

The Miskatonic

Marine Philt

Dead of the Brain

Where They Cremate the Roadkill

Mother Russia Bleeds

Severed

Abomination

Scorn

Ingonga

Slain

Requiem: Avenging Angel

VolFoss

Kodoku Chronicles

Darkest Dungeon

Tormentum

That for now, I have more to post, but I am lazy now.
Cheers!!!

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Denamic said:
EvilRoy said:
Denamic said:
LucasGrimms said:
Denamic said:
ninja666 said:
Denamic said:

The 'immortality' part refers to them being timeless, as in they live forever, or rather indefinitely. Their scales also renders them immune to most ailments like poison and curses. They are also very tough so they serve as armor as well. Obviously, they're not truly immortal because then they would still be around. Also, I don't think their behaviour due to their programming is an accurate way to assess their intelligence as characters. If that were the case, every character in the game are retarded, including the player. Seath was unique in that he was born without scales, so he went on to create sorcery and betray his own kind in his quest to find a replacement for the scales of immortality. Eventually, he ended up making crystal magic and going insane. Whether or not that could be considered a success, I dunno. Kalameet was indeed a dragon, as was the stone dragon. And the toothy vagina monster, for that matter.

If you'd reread my post(s), however, I said there were no true dragons in Dark Souls 2. All of the ones you listed are from Dark Souls 1 and its DLC, and they are no longer around. Save for maybe the stone dragon, but he doesn't make an appearance anyway.
Ah, I misunderstood your post. When I read ""Dark Souls" I thought you were referring to the series as a whole. I don't know if I agree with regards to the "timeless" idea of immortality however, since the only reference I could find to immortality was actually only talking about the dragons scales rather than the dragons themselves - that is, you would be arguing that the dragons have natural armor that is timeless, but the dragons themselves still age.

Fair game on the AI argument, although I would note that Kalameet got his ass plucked by a blind guy in a cutscene. Not what I would call the height of intelligence.

I did run into another dragon though, and he is in DSII. I haven't finished yet thanks to real life stifling my gaming time, but apparently in the DLC there is an ancient dragon who goes by the name Sinh who you can kill.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Mount and Blade Warband has that tough, unforgiving nature that Dark Souls has. The combat system is probably one of the best I've ever used and incredibly satisfying if you don't have auto-block on (meaning you have to move your mouse in the direction the blow is coming from). Granted, you do end up playing it as more of an army commander later on, but still, if you have the AI turned up, you can't afford to just go on auto-pilot (just don't ever use Swadian Knights). I recommend getting the Floris Mod pack if you do get the game since it just adds a whole lot more to the experience.

The game doesn't have the dark tone that the Souls games do, but it's challenging, and you can overcome statistically superior opponents through sheer skill and strategy. It's also a long game with many mods so if you enjoy it, it'll keep you busy for hundreds of hours.

ninja666

May 17, 2014
A question. I just remembered a game that looks very similar to Bloodborne as far as the premise goes: Nightmare Creatures. How similar is it, though? It's pretty obvious that NC was an inspiration for Miyazaki when making his creation, and the gameplay also consists of beating the crap out of all sorts of twisted entities in a XIX-century setting. Does it also have a similarly dark and grim atmosphere Bloodborne has?

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
EvilRoy said:
Denamic said:
EvilRoy said:
Denamic said:
LucasGrimms said:
Denamic said:
ninja666 said:
Denamic said:

Ah, I misunderstood your post. When I read ""Dark Souls" I thought you were referring to the series as a whole. I don't know if I agree with regards to the "timeless" idea of immortality however, since the only reference I could find to immortality was actually only talking about the dragons scales rather than the dragons themselves - that is, you would be arguing that the dragons have natural armor that is timeless, but the dragons themselves still age.

Fair game on the AI argument, although I would note that Kalameet got his ass plucked by a blind guy in a cutscene. Not what I would call the height of intelligence.

I did run into another dragon though, and he is in DSII. I haven't finished yet thanks to real life stifling my gaming time, but apparently in the DLC there is an ancient dragon who goes by the name Sinh who you can kill.
Oh yeah, I forgot about Sinh. Probably repressed it because he's a ***** to fight as melee. He is indeed a dragon.

To clarify about the scales: The dragons are immortal (timeless, eternal, doesn't age, get sick, etc.) as long as they have the scales. Seath didn't want to die, which he eventually would like any other mortal creature without the scales. That's why he created crystal magic, and why he was a mutated crystal monstrosity when we fight him. What I'm trying to say is that the scales grant the dragons their semi-immortality and powerful defenses.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
SweetShark said:
Risingblade said:
Skyrim and kingdoms of Amalur
Yes, because killing dragons in Dark Souls was so easy like in Skyrim.
I never played Skyrim, but when I saw a bear killing a freaking dragon, I flip my sh*ts and never saw it very seriously ever again.
Kingdom of Alamur I think is very colorful, but maybe I am wrong.
A modded Skyrim with a ton of combat enhancements can get fairly close to Dark Souls. I'd have to boot everything on mine up again to see what I have installed, but when I wonna kill anything when starting out, I pretty much have to play perfectly or suffer extreme damage. Not unlike the Souls series.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
People...why you bomb me with the logic that a game that I NEVER PLAYED BEFORE [Skyrim] would be better for me with Mods?
Maybe if I play Skyrim someday [WITHOUT MODS] I would like it for other reasons. NOT because it can be equal with Dark Souls games.
They are different games.
And for THAT reason I don't like the way Skyrim treat its Dragons...OFFICIALLY! I like the more badass Dragons/Drakes/whatever of Dark Souls.
Peace Yo!!!

SnakeTrousers

Dec 30, 2013
ninja666 said:
As for the gameplay part, I'm pretty flexible about it, as long as it's something resembling an action or an action-adventure game. The thing I don't want is to be completely defenseless against the enemies the game throws at me.
Oh... See I was going to say Blade of Darkness, which is pretty similar, but more in gameplay and level design than in tone...

... and then I remembered they don't even sell it anymore. Shit.

kingthrall

May 31, 2011
If surivval horror is your thing I suggest you check this out

http://www.kongregate.com/games/rete/dont-shit-your-pants

Be aware to "fart Lightly" and not type Fart or you will lose.

Anyway bet you can't figure it out unless you search the net for answers :D