suggest tv series

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
well its that time of year again and im bored.

anyone know of a tv series i should look into?

some of my favour shows to give you an idea
misfits
dexter
breakin bad
stargate
battlestar
grimm
doctor who
community
supernatural
big bang theory
hell on wheels
sons of anarchy

thanks for any help

and imy guess is that i have seen all your suggestions already and i should go outside and play in the street.

latiasracer

Jul 7, 2011
Regnes said:
It's quite different from the titles on your list, but Doc Martin is an absolutely amazing show. It's a comedy drama, a socially awkward surgeon from London develops a fear of blood and retires to a small village to practice as a GP. Martin Clunes(Doctor Martin) really carries the entire show with his brilliant and hilarious performance.

If you really are bored, just give the pilot a shot.

LOL I frekkin love Doc Martin.

Anyway, my suggestion is probably the Wire. It's pretty damned good

The Salty Vulcan

Jun 28, 2009
You seem to like Sci-Fi, so I'm going to recommend my all time favourite Sci-Fi show of all time: Quantum Leap.

Ok, so it's not exactly a Science Fiction show. In fact it's a drama that uses the trappings of a Sci-Fi in order to move the plot.
Its got some great stories, great characters and really talented actors giving some of the best performances of their careers with a top notch production value. It's funny, it's sad, it's uplifting, it's all the good things you want from a show.

All I have to say is this: the finale will affect you. Those final words will ingrain themselves into your subconscious and you will never be the same.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
Quantum Roberts said:
You seem to like Sci-Fi, so I'm going to recommend my all time favourite Sci-Fi show of all time: Quantum Leap.

Ok, so it's not exactly a Science Fiction show. In fact it's a drama that uses the trappings of a Sci-Fi in order to move the plot.
Its got some great stories, great characters and really talented actors giving some of the best performances of their careers with a top notch production value. It's funny, it's sad, it's uplifting, it's all the good things you want from a show.

All I have to say is this: the finale will affect you. Those final words will ingrain themselves into your subconscious and you will never be the same.
I cannot recommend this post enough. Quantum Leap is several kinds, 12 flavours, and numerous colours of awesome.

OP: Hmm, other suggestions... Try any, preferably all, of the following:
*Life On Mars (UK) / Ashes To Ashes
*Black Books
*Bones
*Eureka
*Psych
*Pushing Daisies
*Red Dwarf
*Sliders

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
im giving the wire a go. not sure how i missd it. every review seems to put in the top ten shows of all time

also spartacus looks food. but with 4 seasons of the wire to watch im sure ill b kept entertained for a while

El Dwarfio

Jan 30, 2012
Life on Mars (The UK version obv) for Action Drama shiz.

The Peep Show (For brilliant comedy fun)

Sharpe (For 80's action awesomeness.)

latiasracer said:
Yes Yes Doc Martin ;)

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
Aside from Doctor Who, I'd reccomend:

*True Blood (especially if you enjoyed shows like breaking bad or sons of anarchy)-The basic setup is that a few years before the show is set, Japanese scientists perfected synthetic blood. Subsequently, because such a thing would mean they wouldn't have to feed off humans anymore, vampires reveal themselves to the world after living secretly for centuries (they start selling this synthetic blood in bottles, market it as True Blood, see?). The show itself centres around a small, southern town in Louisiana populated with varied and interesting characters all caught up in it all. It runs wild with the concept, and though the show does have a lot of blood, sex and grit it uses the concept to explore themes like prejudice and abuse.

*Adventure Time (my taste is kind of similar to yours and I'm loving it)-While it's produced by Cartoon Network, it really is the sort of thing I think anybody with a love of fantasy and off-the-wall humour could get into. It's an animated show that centres on the 13 year old Finn and his 20-something, shape-shifting dog Jake and their adventuring in a strange land that's everything from high-fantasy to post-apocalyptic. It's not a very deep show, or as mature as your other suggestions, but I think it's worth checking out (no, I wouldn't really call myself to adventure time what bronies are to that My Little Pony show because adventure time doesn't really even have a following like that).

Then again, there's always that grand old show from which my avatar hails from (Red Dwarf that is). Hell, they're even making a new season right now.

Capt. Crankypants

Jan 6, 2010
Black Books
The Hollowmen
South Park (of course)

Not because of your taste in television, but because everyone should watch those.
That is all.

EDIT: Also Blackadder (series 2 onwards)

Polarity27

Jul 28, 2008
Merkavar said:
well its that time of year again and im bored.

anyone know of a tv series i should look into?

some of my favour shows to give you an idea
misfits
dexter
breakin bad
stargate
battlestar
grimm
doctor who
community
supernatural
big bang theory
hell on wheels
sons of anarchy

thanks for any help

and imy guess is that i have seen all your suggestions already and i should go outside and play in the street.
Based on the Stargate, Who, and BSG, try Babylon 5 and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. With both, try two seasons before you judge because both had weak first seasons and then got markedly better. I'm also going to recommend the first two seasons of Andromeda. Andromeda is one of my favorite TV shows of all time, but it got some massive executive meddling after they canned their producer (Robert Hewitt Wolfe) and dumbed the show down after the second season-- the later seasons are almost literally another show. Some of the first two seasons are exceptional, especially "Angel Dark, Demon Bright".

Based on SOA and Dexter, I'm going to recommend The Wire (quite likely the best television show ever made-- and it has 5 seasons, not 4) and I'll go a bit on a limb and recommend HBO's Rome. You don't have another historical on the list but the sensibility is gritty and very well-written (and honestly, a bit like The Wire in a way). I'd also throw in "Game of Thrones", even though it's fantasy, because it's also a gritty, well-written show with good characterization-- this is a controversial opinion, but I honestly think the show has the edge over the books.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
Parks and Recreation is another really good comedy. And definitely check out Chuck and The Venture Bros., both are really good with the nerd humor you obviously enjoy and are decent action/dramas at that.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Castle. A crime-drama which features Nathan Fillion. If that doesn't interest you, I don't know what will :p.

Sexy Devil

Jul 12, 2010
Chuck is a nice show with lots of cheap laughs if you want to give it a try. It ended the other week so you can watch it the whole way through if you so choose.

Also ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT RIGHT NOW