Suggested 3DS games

Psycho11Edge

Mar 17, 2012
So I originally bought a 3DS to replace my broken and now missing DSi a few months before Pokemon X and Y were released. Every Nintendo handheld I've owned has been for Pokemon, first and foremost. And as much as I love Pokemon, I have actually completed the Pokedex and have put in about 700 hours on X alone, as I have both X and Y.

At first, I was against getting a 3DS because it's basically a DSi with a 3D gimmick, an annoying headache inducing gimmick. I, however, knew I would be getting one eventually though for Pokemon. The thing is, now that I am essentially done with X and Y (even though I'll still be playing a lot of it for quite some time), what games would you all suggest I pick up for the 3DS.

The only games I have so far are Pokemon X, Pokemon Y, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates... something (I don't remember the name as I've only played like... 5 minutes), and Fire Emblem: Awakening.

I have tried the demo for Bravely Default, Monster Hunter and both Etrian Odyssey games, but found Bravely Default... confusing and Monster Hunter impossible to adequately control my character. I'm not counting out those two if those are suggested by anyone, but just know I have had a little experience with them, and it wasn't pleasant.

So, as it stands, my question is: What games should I consider getting for my 3DS collection so that it has more playability until Pokemon OR &AS and Smash Bros?

TheMigrantSoldier

Nov 12, 2010
Shin Megami Tensei 4 is worth a try if you like "hardcore" action RPGs as well as Devil Survivor Overclocked.

Judging by your avatar, you're probably into Persona. Coincidentally, Persona Q: Something something is right around the corner (by that I mean November).

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I've found that the Nintendo demo's I've played have been poor representations of the games they're trying to sell you...I liked Wonderful 101 a lot more once I bought it as opposed to the demo and the same goes for...multiple 3DS games whose titles I can't quite recall at the moment. Anyway as for games to give a shot, Pokemon Battle Trozei isn't a game I've played but I liked the original and love the concept.

Shovel Knight is a ton of fun on the Wii U and I can only imagine it's just as awesome on the 3DS

Animal Crossing is virtual crack but after a while you find fewer and fewer things to do in a given day until you're at the point where you're on the game for about 5 minutes per day before inevitably giving it up forever.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy is a rhythm game and my favorite 3DS game so far. I can't wait for the sequel and the original is the only game I've bought DLC for in the past few years.

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is a ton of fun. No companion characters telling you useless info, exploration is strongly encouraged too. I wish they would tell you the bosses names but you don't have the same 'use-dungeon-item-to-beat-dungeon-boss' formula they've been using since Ocarina.

The Mario games I've played have been fun (New Super 2, 3D Land and, Kart 7) but you probably already know if you like those. 3D Land isn't as huge as other 3D games as it's broken into small-to-medium sized 3D levels. It doesn't really get hard until the end.

If you played and liked Luigi's Mansion on the gamecube, Dark Moon is that plus more mansions and bosses. The boss fights are actually pretty good in this compared to the original game on the Cube.

Psycho11Edge

Mar 17, 2012
TheMigrantSoldier said:
Shin Megami Tensei 4 is worth a try if you like "hardcore" action RPGs as well as Devil Survivor Overclocked.
Ah, alright. I'm new-ish to the Persona games, starting with Golden on my Vita which I now love and made me get the rest of the titles. I knew nothing about the Persona series before it was suggested by like... everyone I know after I said I bought a Vita, so much that I didn't even know the Persona games existed. I know even less about the SMT series. But I'll look into it.

Shoggoth2588 said:
I've found that the Nintendo demo's I've played have been poor representations of the games they're trying to sell you.
Ah, alright then. I'll try to keep that in mind when I play more demos. However, I'm sure trying to control my character in the full game of Monster Hunter will be just as annoying as in the demo. Oh well, I'll try to keep a more positive attitude about them.

Thanks for the input guys.

Itsthefuzz

Apr 1, 2010
I hadn't played a Pheonix Wright game until I got Dual Destinies off the Eshop. Loved it!

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
What did you find confusing about Bravely Default?

If you want to venture into the virtual console, the three Game Boy Color Zelda games are supposed to be interesting.

I can certainly vouch for Link's Awakening.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
TheMigrantSoldier said:
Devil Survivor Overclocked
Just want to second this. I'd never even heard of it until a friend gave it to me out of nowhere, for the first hour or so I thought I would hate it since I'm usually not a fan of tactics/strategy but I ended up getting super into it. Still stuck on the final boss though.

Link Between Worlds is also really good, and if you've never played Ocarina of Time you absolutely need to get that too.

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
Two of my all time favorite games for the 3DS were Fire Emblem: Awakening and Kid Icarus: Uprising.

Fire Emblem is a turn based strategy game, it's a bit of a challenge, but it's really fun and the characters are really interesting.

Kid Icarus is an on rails shooter, the gameplay is really fun, although the way you have to hold the controller in this game is a little weird and can be tiring after a little while. The characters are great though and the game is hilarious.

I see someone before me already recommended the Shin Megami Tensei games, which I second because they are amazing. The two I think are best are Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor Overclocked and Shin Megami Tensei Soul Hackers. Both are really awesome, although a bit challenging.

There's also Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds, which I really enjoyed.

I'm a huge fan of the Tales series, so I'd also recommend Tales of the Abyss; it's one of the best RPGs on the system and the battle system is what makes the series on the best RPGs series in my opinion.

If you're really into classic JRPGs though I'd recommend Bravely Default. It plays like a classic Final Fantasy and is one of my favorites on the system.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Psycho11Edge said:
Ah, alright then. I'll try to keep that in mind when I play more demos. However, I'm sure trying to control my character in the full game of Monster Hunter will be just as annoying as in the demo. Oh well, I'll try to keep a more positive attitude about them.

The thing about Monster Hunter on the 3DS is that I'd charitably call it "unplayable" if you don't have a Circle Pad Pro (the little cradle that adds a second stick to the thing). With the extra stick, you have actual camera controls, which completely change the game.

It still has a rather arcane combat system which won't be for everyone, it's a niche title after all, but playing without a Circle Pad Pro is just a bad idea.

OT: Kirby Triple Deluxe.

Kirby Kirby Kirby Kirby Kirby.

It's probably my favorite game on the 3DS right now.

Sickeningly adorable side-scrolling platformer that just has such a beautiful amount of style and charm to it.

If you're really keen on platformers, Donkey Kong Country Returns is pretty good as well. Relatively challenging, but it's a lot less punishing than the Donkey Kong Country games of old and has much tighter controls, in my opinion.

It's not too hard up for JRPGs either. Other people already mentioned Shin Megami Tensei IV, but it also has some of the spin-offs like Devil Survivor Overclocked, Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers, and will supposedly be getting the upcoming Persona Q. Then there's also Tales of the Abyss, which is something of an action-JRPG in that it uses real-time in combat instead of turns or a Final Fantasy-style active-time battle system, and Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance, which is a proper action-RPG but... well, the story would be near unintelligible if you're not already a fan of the series, I think.

Psycho11Edge

Mar 17, 2012
Wow, okay, lots of sudden messages. Thanks all.

For the more specific stuff:

Pink Gregory said:
I just got so lost and wasn't sure what I was doing when it came to fighting. Though I may have gone somewhere I shouldn't have been, as things seemed extremely powerful.

As for some of the other games suggested, I forgot to mention I do actually own Kirby: Triple Deluxe. I play it every so often, but that was more of just what I'm asking here, a way to extend the usage of my 3DS. It's fun, but I never get too into it for long periods of time like I can Pokemon or Fire Emblem.

Though it seems Shin Megami Tensei and it's various spin offs are popular. Though many Atlus games seem very popular, and Ii have only just recently realized how many of their games I have played and liked for some time now. I'll have to look more into the main SMT series and it's spin offs though.

Thanks all. Now to see what I want to spend money on...

SerithVC

Dec 23, 2011
Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance

The forced switching of characters can be a bit annoying at time, but the game is good, possible one of the best in the series. I'd probably rate it between KH2 and BBS. The plot and controls actually were better than i expected. The optional boss is probably harder than sephiroth. The pokemon-esque Dream Eaters aren't a bad thing for the game. If you liked the characters from The World Ends With You, they make an appearance at the beginning segment of the game. Riku and Sora and both playable. The ending, OMG the ending was just amazing.

If your a fan of or interested in Kingdom Hearts, I highly recommend this game.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
It's not a 3ds game, rather just a DSgame, but Pokemon Conquest sounds like something you might like.
Pokemon Trozei might be a good one for you.

Project X-zone is a nice game.

Senran Kagura is a solid side scrolling brawler, IMO.

Scribblenauts in general are good picks. Unmasked has a pretty vast wealth of DC characters.

Style Savvy: Trendsetters feels pretty rewarding.

Rune Factory 4 is a nice action RPG.

Tomodachi Life is strangely addictive, and perfect for wasting time, be it a little or a lot.

Psycho11Edge

Mar 17, 2012
I've never been too much of a fan of Kingdom Hearts. I played the DS game, but only because I played it with a friend, but it's not something I'm really into.

And as for DS games, if I didn't lose all those damn things over the years, I would have more, but I do own Pokemon Conquest, and I love it. As well as the most recent Megaman game, and a couple other things.

As for the rest of those Rebel_Raven, I don't feel I'd much like too many of them, except maybe Scribblenauts, but I'm more of a Marvel person, except Green Lantern. But thank you for the recommendations. I may go back and look into them again.

Also, am I the only person who saw Tomodachi Life and thought "The hell is this?" and then maintained that thought after trying it? I still don't see the appeal of the game.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Psycho11Edge said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
I've found that the Nintendo demo's I've played have been poor representations of the games they're trying to sell you.

There is actually a peripheral (it may even be official) that adds a second stick to the 3DS...and I think there's an XL variant. I don't know how much that would help with games like Monster Hunter as I haven't used it personally but that option does exist. I imagine it would also be helpful for Kid Icarus Uprising which is fun but difficult to control.

Psycho11Edge

Mar 17, 2012
I don't normally buy other things for handhelds outside of a carrying case and the occasional replacement stylus, since I lose those things all the damn time. Doesn't help I carry them in my mouth like a toothpick everywhere, even when I don't have my 3DS with me. However, if I get games that would be better off with it, I may get these extra joy stick things.

I play my Vita more when at home, but I prefer the 3DS for when I'm out and about. The screen is easier to see in the sun, folding it prevents random scratching and it feels like the battery life of the 3DS is better than the Vita, but when I don't have many games for it, there's little point in taking it out. Hopefully I can pick up some of the suggested games to give me more to do when on random car rides and such.

Side Note: I'm not dissing the Vita, just comparing things as to why I don't take it places. I still love the thing. I do however hate it when people say owning a PS4 validates getting one. As if getting one by itself is just pointless. I personally feel it can stand on it's own.

USIncorp

Mar 10, 2012
Psycho11Edge said:

Pink Gregory said:
I just got so lost and wasn't sure what I was doing when it came to fighting. Though I may have gone somewhere I shouldn't have been, as things seemed extremely powerful.
Bravely Default is definitely a game you would probably like, given how... in to Pokémon you are. They're both turn-based JRPGs with random encounters and menu-based combat. Think of it as Pokémon where you have 4 'mons on the field at a time and a central mechanic where you can essentially take free turns at will. And instead of catching 'mons to use, you unlock Jobs (character classes) as you progress. If you know of or have played Final Fantasy V, then the Job system is basically that.

Psycho11Edge

Mar 17, 2012
USIncorp said:
Psycho11Edge said:

Pink Gregory said:
Bravely Default is definitely a game you would probably like, given how... in to Pokémon you are. They're both turn-based JRPGs with random encounters and menu-based combat. Think of it as Pokémon where you have 4 'mons on the field at a time and a central mechanic where you can essentially take free turns at will. And instead of catching 'mons to use, you unlock Jobs (character classes) as you progress. If you know of or have played Final Fantasy V, then the Job system is basically that.
I've only played the Tactics games in the FF series.

USIncorp

Mar 10, 2012
Psycho11Edge said:
USIncorp said:
Psycho11Edge said:

Pink Gregory said:
Tactics Job System is based of off FFV's.

Psycho11Edge

Mar 17, 2012
USIncorp said:
Psycho11Edge said:
USIncorp said:
Psycho11Edge said:

Pink Gregory said:
Tactics Job System is based of off FFV's.
Ah, alright.