Summer Camp Criticized for Encouraging Gaming

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
neonsword13-ops said:
Can I meet this professor and tell her she's wrong on more levels than 1-1?

(See what I did there?)
Yeah, but that makes the style redundant, which in turn takes attention away from the message. (Also, 1 minus 1 reads better, this looks a little too much like a football score. =/)
Unless I didn't get it. In which case: "No I don't."

Neonit

Dec 24, 2008
just a question here, if we would be talking about "book summer camp", would it be just as bad or less?

because i smell double standards.

besides, why wont we talk about what wrong with "physical activity camps"? a lot of people get injured. some of them might die, or permanently mutilate their bodies. yeah, i can overreact as well!

still, i see it as a rl version of trolls. just ignore it, they WILL die out. no need to give them attention.

BRex21

Sep 24, 2010
By his logic should be not be banning television, chocolate, books (you sit the whole time come on), movies, alcohol, gambling and on and on and on because you can abuse virtually ANYTHING?
Its just someone failing miserably to understand issues.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Farther than stars said:
neonsword13-ops said:

(See what I did there?)
Yeah, but that makes the style redundant, which in turn takes attention away from the message. (Also, 1 minus 1 reads better, this looks a little too much like a football score. =/)
It's Super Mario Bros. Level 1-1. First level. Sooo no, you didn't. It was worth a shot
I didn't want the comment to be serious, just for a good chuckle.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
As Penn and Teller discussed on Bullshit, Cheerleading is pretty damn dangerous and therefore pretty unhealthy; but obviously the evil of videogames takes priority in this Professor's mind since it's better to have girls with broken limbs than a few fat people with freakishly dextrous thumbs.

OldAccount

Sep 10, 2010
This guys line of thought: Video games are involved? It must be bad.

This Tymowski guy needs to have an open mind and look into things before criticizing. It's fairly clear that the camp is to find a BALANCE between gaming and physical activity in a social context which seems hugely important to me as gaming takes a larger roll in the culture.

OldAccount

Sep 10, 2010
King Toasty said:
Damn, why can't we have these camps in Canada?

Yeah, I don't see the problem if they balance it with physical acti- oh, DanceDance. Carry on, awesome people!
The camp is in Canada.

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
SAT4NSLILHELPER said:
King Toasty said:
Damn, why can't we have these camps in Canada?

Yeah, I don't see the problem if they balance it with physical acti- oh, DanceDance. Carry on, awesome people!
The camp is in Canada.
...Well, that's what I get for not reading the news po- wait, new Brunswick? Doesn't count.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Did anyone else find it funny that the professor criticizing it has a name that has elements of Gabe and Tycho, the Penny Arcade guys? :p

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
There isn't any exercise in band camp but that isn't criticised. It's only one week as well, there's no way a kid will get obese from that amount of time. This is just retarded on so many levels.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
neonsword13-ops said:
Farther than stars said:
neonsword13-ops said:

(See what I did there?)
It's Super Mario Bros. Level 1-1. First level. Sooo no, you didn't. It was worth a shot
I didn't want the comment to be serious, just for a good chuckle.
Yeah, of course, that's fair enough. I really didn't see that though. Then again, it was a long time ago that I played Super Mario Bros.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
And the professor's name is Gabriela. Come on guys, this stuff is like right there.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Daveman said:
There isn't any exercise in band camp but that isn't criticised.
Same with writing and drawing camps. This woman has no idea what she's on about.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
briunj04 said:
Gabriela is just another person that thinks that video games gave birth to Hitler. I've said it once and I'll say it again: Video games are not the source of childhood obesity, bad eating habits and lazy kids or overly lenient parents are the source.

While I can't fully advocate that an all video game camp is necessarily a good idea, I think that it has its benefits.
(Or you could just go to a video game design camp where playing video games is just part of the creative process :3)
Or in 1 simple line..... bad parents are the source of obesity.