Super BioWare RPG: Origins: Awakening II: Turbo Edition

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
At least one time you will inevitably get frustrated and turn all the sliders to random extremes, unleashing an abomination of a creature on the world.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
The worst part? It's when you spend hours trying to get your character looking juuuuust right and then find out that either it's best to play the game entirely in first person or your character is going to be wearing a face concealing helmet most of the game, so it's not like you even get to enjoy the face you meticulously crafted anyway. Or maybe the worst part is to find out that the rest of the body isn't affected by the changes you make to the face so it ends up looking terrible anyway.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
This is me in every game with a decent character creator. Its honestly why I actually gave up tryin to make them perfect and just tweaked some defaults a bit. After my fifteenth time failin to make my Khajiit how I wanted her to look I said fuck this noise and just went with a slightly modified preset.

Rabbitboy

Apr 11, 2014
Yeah I usually also modify the presets a bit. And even if it still doesn't look like the way I wanted I usually can't be bothered to do it again. Because the game is either in firstperson or I will just make my character wear a helmet.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I wonder if by trying to make the most ridiculous looking character you accidentally end up with something awesome...

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
ok this is the 48th time i did step one please make it stop
CaitSeith said:
I wonder if by trying to make the most ridiculous looking character you accidentally end up with something awesome...
or you succeed and make the spawn of Satan and a worm

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I only actually did this once in Inquisition, and that was because (for whatever reason) the lip gloss setting was maxed out on my male character, and it was like walking around with the sun reflecting off my lips. Redid it and put that bar waaaaaay down. Check your makeup settings guys. My characters skin is not as pale as I would have liked, and there is a weird looking graphical error on my throat from where the Adam's apple should be, but I don't really care. I'm too far in the game now, and I take notice a whole 1% of the time.

I am really glad that they didn't plaster the main character's face on the box art this time though. My problem with Dragon Age 2 and the Mass Effect series is they show the default character in all of the trailers and on the box art, and it just gets a little weird when you make your own character as the voice doesn't seem to fit. I have never made a custom male Shepard in Mass Effect, or a custom male Hawke in Dragon Age 2. Ah, the beauty of Origins and Inquisition.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Urgh, yeah. Not so much for Bioware games for me, but creating a character in Fallout 3 or New Vegas with that teensy tiny screen is such a hassle. Every time I create something that looks decent from the front - when I rotate the camera view - it looks horrendously mangled and punched-in from the side. It's even worse in the actual game.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
...I can't handle this amount of truth.

Zhukov said:
Ohhhh yes. This is a process I am familiar with.

You know that opening sequence in the first Mass Effect? The one where Shepard walks to the cockpit of the Normandy, then stops and the camera does a pan around to her face. Yeah. I have had to watch that many, many times.

"Please look decent, please look decent, please look decent... here we go... aaaaaaand ARRRGHHH, THE CHEEKBONES! WHY?! RESTART!"
Holy god I thought it was just me. For the most part, it was always the goddamn eyebrows.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Skeleon said:
Urgh, yeah. Not so much for Bioware games for me, but creating a character in Fallout 3 or New Vegas with that teensy tiny screen is such a hassle. Every time I create something that looks decent from the front - when I rotate the camera view - it looks horrendously mangled and punched-in from the side. It's even worse in the actual game.
Fallout characters are all butt-ugly, and you barely see them anyway. I just put on a face-obscuring helmet and move on with my life.
But in BioWare games, I am positively anal about my character's looks. Eyebrows, eyes, nose and cheekbones will be the death of me.

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
Yep. I've had slightly better luck with DA:I it seems. My character still looked way different once the game started, but she sort of came out as a brunette Amy Poehler. So not bad really.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
This is why I go with default characters. So much less hassle. Plus I'm just shit at character customization in the first place. ( I am disappoint by the lack of beards on dwarf ladies though. WHEN IS SOMEONE GONNA MAKE THAT A THING!?)

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
YES!!!, this happened to me in FFXIV recently, although at least that game has the decency of letting you choose a real time location with real lighting to see how your character would truly look in real circumstances.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
oggebogge91 said:
How about playing for 25 hours and realizing you hate playing as a rogue? I'm crying inside.
This on the other hand is a problem that will plague me till the day I die.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011

Yeah, I'm on my fourth character now. First one was a female qunari mage that I tried to touch up with a bit of makeup. Looked sensible and pretty decent in the creation phase...then you get to the game and holy shit it looks like Bozo the Clown wearing radioactive glowing makeup! o.o

Restart, try that again! This time I'll turn down the intensity, see if I can't make it look a little more reasonable.
-failed-

Screw it! I'm going with an elf! Still looks a bit much, but it's at least passable. Hey now...what's all this Queen Anora bullshit? *sigh*.....

Ok! Now I've got my Dragon Age Keep world set-up and a female qunari mage that DOESN'T look like a meth head prostitute! Ready to play!..............just in time for family to get in town for the holidays, sucking up all my gaming time. Fucking beautiful...

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
Honestly, with Mass Effect and Elder Scrolls games, I have quite a bit of trouble getting them to look decent in the character creator too. But yeah, once I start the game it tends to get worse.

ColdinT

Apr 8, 2009
Seriously. This happens every damn time. Why can't they just put multiple lighting settings to toggle through. Of course, you also don't get anything to compare skin tone against. I thought it looked good in character select, but then standing next to the NPCs, my guy looked like he just got a bad spray-on tan.