Super Hero Fatigue

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I just saw Godzilla - One. It had a budget about 1/2 of an episode of She-Hulk. $15 million. It was a blast. They put so much on the screen. But most of it was about human characters dealing with human situations.
I've heard a few outlets talk about it, contrasting Minus one with Godzilla vs Kong and the New Empire trailer. I actually rewatched all 4 films this week and plan to watch Minus One maybe tomorrow.

There's an unfortunate distinct downtrend in your ability to get invested in whats going on in the movie is purely shot from the Monsters point of view action hero style with them kung-fu fighting in the last film and then in New Empire. By the end of it, I just felt like I was watching a CGI videogame trailer.

I found myself having a lot more respect and getting more invested in Godzilla (2014) because Gareth took great pains to show how devastating Godzilla mere existence is. Theres really great extended scene of Godzilla causing a tidal wave just making landfall and people desperately trying to find high-ground. I think our heads we all love teh smashy smashy, but it has to be earned with a human connection. I've heard the human drama is super well done in Minus One and is really the turtle the film rides on.

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I've heard a few outlets talk about it, contrasting Minus one with Godzilla vs Kong and the New Empire trailer. I actually rewatched all 4 films this week and plan to watch Minus One maybe tomorrow.

There's an unfortunate distinct downtrend in your ability to get invested in whats going on in the movie is purely shot from the Monsters point of view action hero style with them kung-fu fighting in the last film and then in New Empire. By the end of it, I just felt like I was watching a CGI videogame trailer.

I found myself having a lot more respect and getting more invested in Godzilla (2014) because Gareth took great pains to show how devastating Godzilla mere existence is. Theres really great extended scene of Godzilla causing a tidal wave just making landfall and people desperately trying to find high-ground. I think our heads we all love teh smashy smashy, but it has to be earned with a human connection. I've heard the human drama is super well done in Minus One and is really the turtle the film rides on.
Yes. I was watching another comparison video and regardless of your over-all thoughts about it, particularly Bryan Cranston, adds a human element that puts the movie up a notch. I enjoyed Kong vs. Godzilla but it was mostly pretty lights moving around.
This one (Minus One) is like a re-imagining of the OG 1950s movie which was a metaphor for the devastation the Japanese felt after getting nuked twice. The humans are not just in this to keep the plot moving forward: they are people with strengths, weaknesses, challenges and remorse and triumphs. I hope to read your thoughts on it when you see it.

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
My favorite movie of this year was easily Across the Spider-verse and I really loved The Batman last year, so for me it's not really superhero fatigue. Other big winners, as mentioned, were Barbie, Oppenheimer and the Mario movie: standalone properties with no tie-ins to other media or sequel bait. I think the real cuplrit here is the shared universe concept, and to a lesser extent the multiverse. Those have now reached in movies what they reached in comics decades ago: too much stuff, an overbloated continuity, and a complete lack of consequence, finality or payoff. We've seen what can be done with it when done right (the Infinity saga), and we've definitely seen what happens when it goes wrong, ie. where we're at now: the multiverse is just spinning its wheels, planets exploding is now a Tuesday, nothing matters. I think the success of The Batman might be nudging things back to a more self-contained direction, given the new Aquaman movie seems to have fuck-all concern for what remains of the DCEU. I just saw Napoleon, and while it was nothing special, it felt good to just have that one movie and be done with it.

Hollywood is already scrambling for a new trend to cash in on, which is good. We've yet to see what emerges out of that, but that's what makes it interesting.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hollywood is already scrambling for a new trend to cash in on, which is good. We've yet to see what emerges out of that, but that's what makes it interesting.
It's actually already happening right now: TV or movie adaption of video games done proper this time. Most of the time anyway.

Reactions: gorfias

Bartholen

Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
It's actually already happening right now: TV or movie adaption of video games done proper this time. Most of the time anyway.
So that'd be the Super Mario movie and The Last of Us from the past 2 years, but what else is there? Two examples don't make a trend just yet.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So that'd be the Super Mario movie and The Last of Us from the past 2 years, but what else is there? Two examples don't make a trend just yet.
You must have really short-term memory.

• Sonic 1 & Sonic 2. Sonic 3 comes out next year during the Christmas season. Knuckles gets a TV spin off that's coming out later in the middle of next year. It takes place in the movie continuity. it'll take place after the first two movies but before 3.
  • The Castlevania TV series from 2017. It has four seasons and a sequel series. Nocturne just came out a few months ago. Second season has already been announced and is in production. Both of these shows are on Netflix.
  • There's also that one animated Ubisoft show that has all these different Ubisoft characters crossover into this one universe. I can't think of the name but it's also on Netflix. It's basically their version of Suicide Squad.
  • The live action legend of Zelda movie has been announced in his currently in production. I don't know how that was going to turn out but it's already been made official
  • Streets of Rage movie has also been announced. It got announced a few years ago, but it's currently in production right now. The only reason why it hasn't was because of the writer strike.
  • Twisted Metal came out on peacock and has great reception.
Don't forget that The Last Of Us is also getting a second season that's going to be based off the second game. I won't be watching any of that.

The Mario movie did excellently and is going to get a sequel at some point. Not to mention Nintendo wants to do their own cinematic universe with different Nintendo characters. So these adaptions are obviously going places. They are not stopping anytime soon.

Last edited:

Bartholen

Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
You must have really short-term memory.

• Sonic 1 & Sonic 2. Sonic 3 comes out next year during the Christmas season. Knuckles gets a TV spin off that's coming out later in the middle of next year. It takes place in the movie continu ity it'll take place after the first two movies but before 3.
  • The Castlevania TV series from 2017. It has four seasons sequel series. Nocturne just came out a few months ago. Second season has already been announced and is in production. Both of these shows are on Netflix.
  • There's also that one animated Ubisoft show that has all these different Ubisoft characters crossover into this one universe. I can't think of the name but it's also on Netflix. It's basically their version of Suicide Squad.
  • The live action legend of Zelda movie has been announced in his currently in production. I don't know how that was going to turn out but it's already been made official
  • Streets of Rage movie has also been announced. It got announced a few years ago, but it's currently in production right now. The only reason why it hasn't was because of the writer strike.
Don't forget that The Last Of Us is also getting a second season that's going to be based off the second game. I won't be watching any of that.

The Mario movie did excellently and is going to get a sequel at some point. Not to mention Nintendo wants to do their own cinematic universe with different Nintendo characters. So these adaptions are obviously going places. They are not stopping anytime soon.
I suppose I stand corrected then. You're right, the Sonic movies completely evaporated from my mind because that property has never been on my radar. The Castlevania series I'd consider more of a sleeper hit, because it started while the MCU was still in its prime. Hadn't even heard of that Ubisoft thing because I don't currently have a Netflix subscription. I guess I'll check that out.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I suppose I stand corrected then. You're right, the Sonic movies completely evaporated from my mind because that property has never been on my radar. The Castlevania series I'd consider more of a sleeper hit, because it started while the MCU was still in its prime. Hadn't even heard of that Ubisoft thing because I don't currently have a Netflix subscription. I guess I'll check that out.
I appreciate the praise you give the Castlevania (2017), but I wouldn't call to sleeper hit at this point. Maybe the first season, but by second season beyond, the show got more and more recognition.bWhen you come up in casual conversation from many non-video game fans, then you've done grwat and become more than a sleeper hit. Especially when you do well that fast with your sequel series.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I tried to like Godzilla 2014 but it's too much of a slow burn. I appreciate what the guy was trying to do, but most of the human cast is uninteresting, other than Brian Cranston (once he bites the dust, that's it) and Ken Wantanabe. I just got back from Godzilla Minus One, and both movies share familiar plot beats. Minus one just feels like a highly better version of 2014 with his human cast G2014 is better than Shin Godzilla in the 1998 version, but too much as hell back and I felt the movie was filmed too darkly. It may just be me, but I haven't seen it since 2015. I saw it twice and that was it.

The monster verse itself I consider great and the people hating on it usually are doing it for the dumbest or dull reasons. I'll even defend the human cast (though most people didn't have a problem with the humans in Kong anyway) in Kong: Skull Island and King Of The Monsters. Kong vs. Godzilla is where it falters a bit with some of the human characters, but it's nowhere close near the tragedy as when it comes to the human characters in the Michael Bay Transformers movies.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
  • Sonic 1 & Sonic 2. Sonic 3 comes out next year during the Christmas season. Knuckles gets a TV spin off that's coming out later in the middle of next year. It takes place in the movie continuity. it'll take place after the first two movies but before 3.
  • The Castlevania TV series from 2017. It has four seasons and a sequel series. Nocturne just came out a few months ago. Second season has already been announced and is in production. Both of these shows are on Netflix.
The Tetris movie was also released earlier this year; it was well received by critics.
I just saw Godzilla - One. It had a budget about 1/2 of an episode of She-Hulk. $15 million. It was a blast. They put so much on the screen.
It should be noted that Japanese animators are overworked and underpaid.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The Tetris movie was also released earlier this year; it was well received by critics.
That is more of a based on a true story genre of film making, but I am glad critics and people liked it. We'll make it count in this case, but I prefer just straight up adaptions of the actual IPs and not the stories around them. Not there is anything wrong with that, but those type of films are usually a documentary.