Super Mario Maker Speedrunner has Stages Deleted

Nick Monroe

Oct 8, 2015
Super Mario Maker Speedrunner has Stages Deleted

Nintendo has failed to provide a clear reason as to why David "GrandPOObear" Hunt's levels were removed.

Popular Twitch streamer and speedrunner GrandPOObear [https://www.twitch.tv/grand_poobear/profile] was shocked to find out Monday Morning that his Mario Maker levels were wiped from his profile.

I asked David "GrandPOObear" Hunt how he got involved with the Super Mario Maker community. "I started playing launch day, but i would say i got really hooked after playing my first Panga level Skyzo a week later. It opened up a world of super hard levels to me that I just can't get enough of. Its like Mario Souls to me."

Hunt was scheduled [https://horaro.org/californithon/schedule] to make an appearance at the Calfornithon speedrunning exhibition on March 25th.

He uploaded similar situation [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbrV66xN0w8] happen to him back in January of this year.

Hunt explained to me how these deletions affect his enjoyment of the game. "I have no desire to create levels in Mario Maker anymore. I have little desire to play it at this very moment (I have to as I am playing it in a Marathon, @californithon this Friday) I instead plan to make a Rom Hack for SMB3 because I miss the SMB3 Physics but Nintendo can't delete my rom hack from the internet. It will live forever no matter what. A few other "popular" creators have been talking about doing the same thing as well. I have no problem playing by Nintendo's rules, but no one seems to know what they are, and Nintendo for whatever reason does not think we deserve to know."

[gallery=6065]

Looking at his Super Mario Maker profile [https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/nilladh?type=posted ], one can see the amount of time that Hunt puts into the game. Losing over 90000 lives and clearing over 600 courses in his play history is highly extraordinary. Unfortunately, the deletions of Hunt's levels means the stars he earned from them are also removed. "When levels are deleted for vulgarity, glitches, ect, creators have kept their stars. The only time players lose stars is when they have cheated or plagiarized others levels. Now I am at risk of being labeled a cheater by people who won't read the gaming news. despite me playing live on stream every day, and in front of an audience at AGDQ," Hunt explains.

It was previously reported [http://gameranx.com/updates/id/32678/article/super-mario-maker-courses-deleted-banned-without-explanation-complain-fans/] that Nintendo can delete Super Mario Maker levels automatically based on low popularity, but the steps taken by Nintendo in the case of David Hunt seem to step beyond that.

Source: YouTube [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbrV66xN0w8]
Twitter [https://twitter.com/GrandPOOBear/status/711955852639375361]

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Nintendo is truly a baffling and confusing purple dinosaur.

dateryu

Aug 22, 2011
Wow. So Nintendo takes down videos of Mario romhacks and speedruns so they won't compete with Mario Maker, then proceeds to delete a speedrunner's Mario Maker levels like that. I think I'm gonna steer clear of Nintendo from now on.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
This happened to my levels too. Apparently if you don't advertise your levels on social media they'll get deleted and banned eventually due to low play count. That wouldn't be too much of a problem if you could actually re-upload them, of course.

I've put the game down permanently because of this BS.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Fappy said:
This happened to my levels too. Apparently if you don't advertise your levels on social media they'll get deleted and banned eventually due to low play count.
That, is one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard of and makes me wonder why anyone even tries to make stages.
Also holy balls I forgot you became a mod! Congrats!

Sep 14, 2009
Fappy said:
This happened to my levels too. Apparently if you don't advertise your levels on social media they'll get deleted and banned eventually due to low play count. That wouldn't be too much of a problem if you could actually re-upload them, of course.

LOL WAT. that should be like one of the foundations of the game...how pissed would people be if that happened to their minecraft worlds or any other world building type game, they'd be lambasted to hell and back for it.

In this case, fuck nintendo, I know they can be the good guy sometimes, but this is outright bullshit and is nothing but anti-consumer in the way it's setup.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fappy said:

On the one hand, this is baffling and stupid. On the other, your cat avatar is back, so I am happy.

...but seriously, this seems like a baffling move for a company that wants to push this feature. SMM is one of those games that made me think about buying a Wii, but I don't have a lot of gamers lined up on my social media, so I don't have an outlet to push it anyway.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Something Amyss said:
Fappy said:

On the one hand, this is baffling and stupid. On the other, your cat avatar is back, so I am happy.

...but seriously, this seems like a baffling move for a company that wants to push this feature. SMM is one of those games that made me think about buying a Wii, but I don't have a lot of gamers lined up on my social media, so I don't have an outlet to push it anyway.
Not just gamers, but gamers with a Wii U and Mario Maker. Kind of a niche game for adult gamers. I don't know anyone else IRL who has it >.>

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fappy said:
Not just gamers, but gamers with a Wii U and Mario Maker. Kind of a niche game for adult gamers. I don't know anyone else IRL who has it >.>
I'm not sure I know anyone IRL who even has a Wii U. Yeah, this could be tricky.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Nintendo crossed the line of mine when they started deleting rom hacks and taking down Youtube video's, but it seems it's not enough for them. I really don't know how anyone can tolerate them anymore, but then again their new games look gross to me. Lets see if they can get worse, shall we :-D

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Fappy said:

Not that I have this game, but I have noticed there is this push in all systems to integrate social media where it doesn't belong. The idea of basically coercing people into having to be basically a media circus and not to just simply try to enjoy your damn game is a shitty thing to do. Given that the PS4 has a share function (which I ignore because I don't even facebook for crying out loud) and both the X-Box and Windows 10 is going nuts over all kinds of things, I would feel there's a deal under the table - if not over the table - to shove social media into more and more faces whether it's wanted or not. Next thing you know, there'll be pirate servers of this stuff that's just out of Nintendo's control.

Additional: I like that the cat is back, as well.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Nazulu said:
Nintendo crossed the line of mine when they started deleting rom hacks and taking down Youtube video's, but it seems it's not enough for them. I really don't know how anyone can tolerate them anymore, but then again their new games look gross to me. Lets see if they can get worse, shall we :-D
Rom Hacks are still "Techincally" Copyright Infringment.

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
Nazulu said:
From what I understand people have been of two minds on the whole rom-hack thing. To some (like myself) it was Nintendo letting people use rom-hacks up to the point where they had a competing product and thus exercised their rights only when it could be potentially damaging not to. To other people it's Nintendo cynically removing things that people have enjoyed and than Nintendo had been fine with in the past just because they had a competing product out now. Same thing with a different perspective though still kind of a dick move to just change what they considered acceptable.
Saying that though, fuck Nintendo's attitudes to Youtube (though this may be case of just Nintendo of Japan being like this? Apparently Nintendo of America is a bit more lenient about it). When it comes to let's plays and stuff I understand a developer/publisher being upset at a Story heavy game potentially being spoiled online or fears that people will just watch the cutscene instead of playing it, but Nintendo games are some of the most gameplay focused games on the market and they seem to have one of the most dedicated audiences.

OT: Hmm, if the guy is genuinely showing all his levels on Stream and is thus obviously not cheating then why would Nintendo aim to remove them? I think I'll hold off judgement in case Nintendo comments about it but as it stands it just looks like poor decisions.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
Nazulu said:
Yeah, they are, and they're also amazing creative fun that I don't believe takes away from Nintendo's bank.

And even then, you'd think a good company would want to expand on this idea and maybe make a market out of it instead of trying to wipe it out! It's all this backwards thinking and knee jerk bullshit that makes this industry so miserable. But I guess expecting a company that wants to make themselves out to be fun and friendly actually be fun and friendly is too much of fucking stretch!

I'm not taking it out on you though. Sorry if I come off like that, but it's disappointing. I feel there so much potential that is squashed and squandered because these major company's that own everything feel the need to defend it so.

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
Why would anyone invest time and effort in a game made by a company who doesn't give a damn about their customers and think paying for a few Kbytes of storage space for a level is too costly baffles me.

Nintendo made Mario Maker useless but they already got the money they wanted so who cares, right?

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
FalloutJack said:
Not that I have this game, but I have noticed there is this push in all systems to integrate social media where it doesn't belong. The idea of basically coercing people into having to be basically a media circus and not to just simply try to enjoy your damn game is a shitty thing to do. Given that the PS4 has a share function (which I ignore because I don't even facebook for crying out loud) and both the X-Box and Windows 10 is going nuts over all kinds of things, I would feel there's a deal under the table - if not over the table - to shove social media into more and more faces whether it's wanted or not. Next thing you know, there'll be pirate servers of this stuff that's just out of Nintendo's control.

Additional: I like that the cat is back, as well.
Well, people do seem to like to share their pictures, status updates and what not, it being integrated into the OS like the PS4 did was somewhat of a natural progression of that phenomenon. Companies get free publicity out of it and the people using it get to share their accomplishments and happenings with their friends, a win-win situation for both parties involved.

Nintendo apparently deleting levels that have been sitting idle for a long time? Yeah, that's just backwards and plain idiotic, then again, it is Nintendo.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Same here. That lack of transparency from Nintendo's part made me decide to quit Mario Maker.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Damn. I was actually gonna buy a Wii U just for Super Mario Maker, but now I'm not so sure if I want to.

Think I'll put that on hold - at least until someone uncovers an explanation for this!

Luminous_Umbra

Sep 25, 2011
It may possibly be more insidious than this article lets on: From what I understand, Hunt was outspoken against many policies and decisions by Nintendo. Considering that he also lost all of his stars in addition to the levels, it's entirely possible that this was done in response to that.

I doubt that his levels were unpopular enough to be deleted before countless others, as Nintendo also removes the least popular levels so that there is space for others levels.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Does anyone know if your level is saved locally as well? Or once you've uploaded the level, it vanishes from the hard drive of the console?