Super Smash Bros. Wii U Will Use NFC Toys Like Skylanders

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Hooray for conclusion jumping!!! If you guy's really think that the figurines will be used for character locking, then I must call you guys cynics. Did everyone forget that this game is coming to the 3DS this summer? And that the 3DS doesn't have this figurine technology? Why would the Wii U version lock characters that the 3DS version has? Furthermore, the figurines aren't designed for one game only. This NFC is designed so that each figurine can be used in multiple games. So, yeah, I'm excited.

Also, ha. ha. for the Nintendo Defense Force joke. Feeling mature yet?

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
All the criticism of people jumping to conclusions highlights one fact: This was a shitty way to reveal this information. It feels like Microsoft 2013 all over again. You can't just make a big announcement like that without any details and just leave it hanging for word of mouth to start spreading worst-case-scenario rumors all over the place.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Ugh, that's REALLY fucking annoying. If they lock characters behind that shit I legitimately might not even buy the game. Let me go on record and say I dislike figurines in general. The only kind of paraphernalia I own from videogames or movies are life-sized props/replicas. Even then I'm pretty selective. I don't exactly have a lot of shelf space either, and these just seem like a huge pain in the ass to deal with anyways if you have to get up and change them out frequently. And what if you go over to your friends house? You take a box of toys with you if you want to have your shit?

I hate everything about this.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
I'm just gonna echo the words of most people that said what I agree with:

If you're just buying costumes, I'm perfectly fine with this.

If you're buying actual characters, then screw you, Nintendo. :|

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Interesting; I wonder what they'll entail as Nintendo isn't one to just blatantly copy. They're definitely going to put a twist on them.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Guitarmasterx7 said:
Ugh, that's REALLY fucking annoying. If they lock characters behind that shit I legitimately might not even buy the game. Let me go on record and say I dislike figurines in general. The only kind of paraphernalia I own from videogames or movies are life-sized props/replicas. Even then I'm pretty selective. I don't exactly have a lot of shelf space either, and these just seem like a huge pain in the ass to deal with anyways if you have to get up and change them out frequently. And what if you go over to your friends house? You take a box of toys with you if you want to have your shit?

I hate everything about this.
Again, why would they lock characters behind it? Like, when news like this pops up, does everyone just shut down everything we know about the game just so we can create controversy? Remember, the 3DS doesn't have the NFC feature and that the 3DS version is releasing two seasons ahead of the Wii U version. We also know that the rosters for both will be the exact same. Therefore, why would the Wii U version lock characters out? If it does "unlock" characters (which I highly doubt), it probably will just unlock those characters faster. Also, keep in mind that the figurines were meant for multiple games, not just one. Smash Bros was probably the first announced because the crossover nature of the game made it fit.

Lvl 64 Klutz said:
All the criticism of people jumping to conclusions highlights one fact: This was a shitty way to reveal this information. It feels like Microsoft 2013 all over again. You can't just make a big announcement like that without any details and just leave it hanging for word of mouth to start spreading worst-case-scenario rumors all over the place.
But the announcement wasn't from Nintendo's website, it was a French magazine saying that it will make an appearance. This would be similar to Microsoft only if Nintendo gave a huge press conference that was poorly receive on top of the rumors that spread.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
Honestly, if it's only going to be in the Wii U version and not the 3DS one, I don't really see how it's going to impact the game in any substantial way. If it's just for costumes and stuff, then I have no issue with the Smash Bros. figures. It makes sense thematically, too; a bit part of Smash Bros. ever since Melee has been the in-game collectible trophies. If they made actual real-world trophies like that, I would be happy to display them in my room, especially if they're replicas of the in-game trophies.

That being said, I actually kind of agree with the people who would freak out if they locked out characters in this way, but I actually really doubt that they would do that. As I said, if it's Wii U exclusive, then I doubt it can affect the game very much.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I guess fans would enjoy having the character as a collectable. But it stinks of a cash grab. I guess it depends on the price of the game and number of characters they will have you buy a toy for. Given that previous titles never had this, i think this a big mistake for Nintendo to bleed its gamers dry.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I think this stuff will factor in more on the game modes on the side. The 3DS version has a unique game mode already, so it's likely that this stuff will tie into Wii U's unique game mode.

In other words, the fighting game for hardcore gamebros part will not be affected at all, except maybe for alternate costumes, but I don't give a shit. People complained a lot about subspace emissary.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
I'm a little worried about this, but as someone else said they'd have to be mad to have one version of the game where you could play all the characters and another where they're locked behind a paywall. Time will only tell.