Super straight on tiktok

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
That's just a dodge.
It's not just a dodge, although considering the user saying it has repeatedly considered me disingenuous, it's worth a laugh.

It's just a different perspective entirely. Some things are true because they are a fact of reality, other things are true because people decide them to be. If someone sees gender purely as a social construct, that gender means whatever people agree it means, then "I am my gender because I feel I am" is a acceptable standard. There's no science or reason behind it, nor does there need to be, nor does that make the statement any less true. Like, going up a level of analysis, "gender" is a word. All words are social constructs (outside of maybe onomatopoeias), words mean whatever people agree they do. Gender can mean whatever we want it to, and if gender the social construct wins out, so be it. There's no sense asking there what the rules are, because there doesn't need to be rules if people don't want them.

Now, if someone expresses the idea that people are the gender they say they are without question, and then they try to establish natural rules for who is what and why, or try and support their position with scientific studies, that person is being self-contradicting. If someone insists something like "trans men are really men and here's the brain scans to prove it", they no longer get to act like there is no standard, having publicly accepted a standard themselves.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
That's just a dodge.

Again, is Rachel Dolezal black? Why or why not?

For an example of the second, back at the height of his/her/its/xer speed running for GDQ was ProtoMagicalGirl/DoubleGearSystem 3-4 people inhabiting a single body, each with different pronouns and gender identities? Why or why not?

Is Jessica Yaniv a woman? Why or why not?

If Eliot Page is a man (which I'll take as assumed that we agree on), was Eliot Page always a man? Why or why not? If not, when did they become a man?
1) No
2) who gives a shit, leave them be. They were, now they're not.
3) yes, last time I checked
4) pretty sure you can find him talking about it. Maybe go chase that down instead of asking a batch of people who aren't involved. Like, shit man, do you have this level of scrutiny for every gay person who takes a few years to reckon with not being straight?
"People who identify as $IDENTITY are $IDENTITY because they feel they are $IDENTITY. That's it, that's the end of that sentence." Does that apply generally? Does it only apply specifically to gender (but not to anything else)? Why or why not?
That was a direct rebuttal to the insane idea that all trans women are women because they claim to know more about being women than cis women.
And nothing else. Trans women are women because they feel they're women, not because of some sort of imagined superiority complex.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buyetyen

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
It's not just a dodge, although considering the user saying it has repeatedly considered me disingenuous, it's worth a laugh.

It's just a different perspective entirely. Some things are true because they are a fact of reality, other things are true because people decide them to be. If someone sees gender purely as a social construct, that gender means whatever people agree it means, then "I am my gender because I feel I am" is a acceptable standard. There's no science or reason behind it, nor does there need to be, nor does that make the statement any less true. Like, going up a level of analysis, "gender" is a word. All words are social constructs (outside of maybe onomatopoeias), words mean whatever people agree they do. Gender can mean whatever we want it to, and if gender the social construct wins out, so be it. There's no sense asking there what the rules are, because there doesn't need to be rules if people don't want them.

Now, if someone expresses the idea that people are the gender they say they are without question, and then they try to establish natural rules for who is what and why, or try and support their position with scientific studies, that person is being self-contradicting. If someone insists something like "trans men are really men and here's the brain scans to prove it", they no longer get to act like there is no standard, having publicly accepted a standard themselves.
I mean, I'm personally against bio-essentialism because of its great potential for harm, not because it doesn't theoretically exist. If we'd found The Gay Gene back in the day, you can bet it would've been used to try and exterminate gay people

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
"People who identify as $IDENTITY are $IDENTITY because they feel they are $IDENTITY. That's it, that's the end of that sentence." Does that apply generally? Does it only apply specifically to gender (but not to anything else)? Why or why not?
Well, for one thing, gender dysphoria has a wealth of scientific research behind it. And ethnicity is a combination of physical characteristics, whereas gender isn't.

The comparison with Rachel Dolezal is a surface-level one and doesn't stand up to scrutiny.