Supercomputer Will Manage Nuclear Weapons

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
What? Only Skynet jokes? No War Games?
Or if you want to go more obscure (and shit) there's Virtual Reality Bites (aka "Game Over").

Apart from that, this is...mundane. It's just an update to the hardware of an existing system.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Atmos Duality said:
Or if you want to go more obscure (and shit) there's Virtual Reality Bites (aka "Game Over").

Apart from that, this is...mundane. It's just an update to the hardware of an existing system.
Yes, it's going to be in charge of all the nukes, but is it any good at chess? How about tic tac toe?

Better now?

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
Yes, because putting a computer in charge of nuclear weapons has never gone wrong...

In all seriousness: As long as it doesn't get access to the internet then it should be fine...

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Can we please do something cooler with this shit? Like that folding thing I have no knowledge about but is supposed to help develop a cure for cancer?

Remaiki

Jan 2, 2013
Astalano said:
One supercomputer in charge of ALL the nuclear weapons?

There is no way this could end badly. No sir.
At least it won't end up as badly as if humans were to be in charge of the nuclear weapons. I shudder to think!
OT: Yeah, this is fairly inconsequential, given that computers are in charge of innumerable critical systems that our societies run on. Unfortunately, I cannot think of any good references from a piece of media to sarcastically put down, so I feel like I'm behind the curve compared to our fellow posters.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
WouldYouKindly said:
Atmos Duality said:

Yes, it's going to be in charge of all the nukes, but is it any good at chess? How about tic tac toe?

Better now?
Much obliged. ^_^
And much better than references to the Net Police and Yasmine Bleeth.

Crazymoomin

Feb 17, 2010
Atmos Duality said:

I Think WarGames would be closest in this case. The line

Virtual simulations could be used to test the efficiency of nuclear weapons in a more accurate fashion.
seems to suggest something more akin to WOPR.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
This brings back memories. In Michael Crichton's Jurassic Park (which is a lot better than the film), Cray computers are acknowledged as the most powerful in the world at the time, which is why the US government gets suspicious that John Hammond is using more of them than the entire US military.

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
Skynet? War Games? Jurassic Park? Pff! Mere children, the lot of you. How about Colossus: The Forbin Project? This is how it all begins.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
otakon17 said:
Christ almighty, really? REALLY!? Have these people NOT watched movies?
Well of course they did, where else would they get the idea from?

Cecilthedarkknight_234 said:
Welp I'm heading off for my custom fallout vault anyone care to join to me?
Depends, is it already stocked?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
gridsleep said:
Skynet? War Games? Jurassic Park? Pff! Mere children, the lot of you. How about Colossus: The Forbin Project? This is how it all begins.
I'll do you one BETTER!

Six years before the Forbin Project AND IT TURNS OUT RUSSIA HAD ONE!

They just didn't complete it.

Cray? Take it from Kubrick. THIS IS A BAD IDEA.

ZodiacBraves

Jun 26, 2008
Jandau said:
If I ever end up at the head of a company given a contract to design a supercomputer to manage a nuclear arsenal, I'd call it Skynet, just to see what happens. I mean, everyone's gonna make the reference regardless of what I call it, so I might as well just go for it myself.
If you do, you should introduce it to Cyberdyne [http://www.cyberdyne.jp/english/] and get the ball rolling on this.

Kerethos

Jun 19, 2013
Is it just me that thinks they shouldn't have to build the computer in the first place?

The constant retarded threat of MAD (through nuclear strikes) is just threatening to take your ball, and going home to burn it, taken to the extreme.

I wish we (by that I mean the human race as a whole) could just do away with that bullshit, once and for all. Not build a fucking supercomputer to see if we can still use old nukes to kill nearly every living thing on this planet a decade or two from now.

fitting capcha: filthy dirty mess