Superman gets too much shit (And underrated heroes in general)

Nulmas

Jul 16, 2010
The_Blue_Rider said:
Hey, leave Aquaman alone! He's actually a great character when, once every blue moon, a good writer happens to stumble onto him.

Oh, and there's this:

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
Fappy said:
I find Superman to be boring primarily because most of the threats he deals with are too artificial. He's a very difficult character to write a compelling story for and often find that I just don't care for them. Plenty of other characters share similar issues (Hulk being a good example on the Marvel-side).

I don't think it should be that hard to write a story for the man of steel. Plenty of the stories from his animated series, as well as the Justice league are fantastic. The animated movies D.C. has been doing that feature Superman... are also fantastic.

When you have a character overpowered as Superman, you shouldn't give whatever villain he's facing kryptonite all the time (or give them red sun energy... whatever), you should instead,have him fight villains that are just as powerful or even stronger!

In the recent movies alone, Superman has some neat battles with : Doomsday, The Elites, Lex Luthor with Superman's powers, evil negaverse Superman, and Darkseid (which Superman needed help from Supergirl with).

Superman stories are... fantastic from what I've watched. Notice I didn't say read.

Personally, I feel the animated stuff does a much better job than the comics anyway.

pilouuuu

Aug 18, 2009
I agree with you. He is the archetype of a superhero. He is THE superhero. He is also noble, good and cares about other people.

As for the reasons he is not so popular nowadays, well I think that he had the last decent movie like three decades ago is a good one. Another one is that this are dark and cynical times. People are not so innocent as in the 70s or 80s. For that reason, people find antiheroes or flawed heroes much more interesting. Definitely Superman is a role model for more positive and optimistic times, but that's the reason we need him so much nowadays. To have a reason to believe that being good is possible and that there's someone that kids can look for when they need someone to admire and to try to be like him when they grow up (although sadly without that kind of superpowers)

In my opinion, the fact that Superman is so "perfect" is very interesting for a story. We can see how always being right can be impossible, how he may have dilemmas when having to take a difficult decision, for example having to choose one of two people to save (similar to Batman in TDK) or struggling not to kill a villain, etc.

While Batman is interesting because he is tormented and fights crime without superpowers, Superman is interesting for other reasons. And he is a tragic hero! He lost his family and all of his planet! Isn't that tragic enough for you?

captcha: do not touch