Supreme Court Case Transcripts Now Online

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
Wow, I read a bit of it (the first 10 pages) and they are really tearing this guy a new one. They cut him off 3/4 of the time.

Bravo.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
I do love how Morazzini kept getting cut off every time he tried to make his weak, weak case. It looks like the court just wasn't taking any crap from him today...

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
Cryo84R said:
I love Justice Scalia.
He is awesome. I may not agree with some of his political views, but you can count on him being an amusing justice that brings some real sense to these cases. I thought he was clever when I was taking ConLaw in college, and it seems that this is still true today.

On topic, I guess we won't know how it will go for a while. I'm going to check this stuff out and look at my own sites that cover this sort of stuff later.

But... for those who may be concerned, i've seen transcripts or listened to Audio recordings of Supreme Court arguments being presented before, and this sounds pretty normal. The justices tend to pick at the arguments of both sides quite alot, so you guys should not freak out too much seeing these guys smack around the gaming argument here. That's just what these justices do.

Aiden_the-Joker1

Apr 21, 2010
Ah yes games are a medium that was not created during the writing of the first amendment so shouldn't necessarily be given First amendment protection. No other medium exists today that didn't then well apart from FILMS.

Apr 28, 2008
The Founding Fathers also never forsaw movies. Or Television. Yet those are protected. So trying to use this argument against games is stupid.

And about the "why shouldn't they pass a law to keep violence out of the hands of 10 year olds?", well the industry already does that. Better then any other industry ever.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
ProfessorLayton said:
That's funny... today is my birthday and I got Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney as a gift. Didn't even mean for that to happen.

No way I'm reading all that now, but I bookmarked the page and I'm going to read through it later. I'm extremely nervous.
Happy birthday. Now, start playing the amazing Ace Attorney games. START PLAYING!

Inglonias

Aug 4, 2009
It doesn't look like the argument is whether video games are obscene. In fact, it looks more like the justices against the law are trying to show that the law is redundant and that parents already fill this role.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
I read the whole thing, and it was quite a good read. Obviously the justices have to question both arguments as much as possible, but it seemed to display the weakness of the opposition's argument when Roberts (and others, but him mostly) had to keep falling back on the, "Lighting schoolgirls on fire...REALLY?" argument every time he made a point.

Mechsoap

Apr 4, 2010
i find it incredibly unfair that the only game shown to the court is postal 2. most games stay away from postal 2 since the developers don't feel right about making such games.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"Justice Samuel Alit also noted that the medium of videogames was utterly beyond the imaginings of the men who created the First Amendment."

Err...

Weren't films, pop music and rap too?

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
JUSTICE SCALIA:Some of the Grimm's fairy tales are quite grim, to tell you the truth.
MR. MORAZZINI:Agreed, Your Honor.But the level of violence-
JUSTICE SCALIA:Are they okay? Are you going to ban them too?

This has reached new heights of awesomeness xD

- Edit -

"So can the legislature now, because it has that study, say we can outlaw Bugs Bunny?"

Sent me into fucking hysterics =D I love these guys!

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Cryo84R said:
I love Justice Scalia.
Honestly he comes across as a major cockbag in so many rulings I've read.

But good lord, I don't know if I can ever be mad at him again. His points, and those made by the rest of the supreme court, were all so grounded in sound reason and law.

The entire time I'm thinking "dude I want to take this whole group to somewhere fancy to eat and just listen to them talk."

I realize starting that off with "dude" sets the stage for my own intellectual level.

It was a profound pleasure to read those transcripts.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
But the Court hammered away at the game industry as well, asking attorney Paul M. Smith why exactly it believed that government shouldn't have the right to keep videogames that include such acts as setting schoolgirls on fire and then urinating on them out of the hands of ten-year-olds. Justice Samuel Alit also noted that the medium of videogames was utterly beyond the imaginings of the men who created the First Amendment.
I really hope this Paul M. Smith guy responded to that with "and what game would that be?"