Supreme Court Case Transcripts Now Online

idiot445

Aug 19, 2008
Alright, so it seems like Sotomayor, Kagan, and Scalia are against the law for a number of reasons. Roberts and Alito don't seem as ready to dismiss the idea that states should be able to regulate games. I think it's much harder to tell what the rest of the Justices are thinking, and could therefore go either way. My guess is that this law is going to get struck down, but I expect to see some language in either the main opinion or concurrences that allows California and other states to draft narrower laws in an attempt to pass the strict scrutiny requirement.

The Ambrosian

Paperboy
May 9, 2009
ProfessorLayton said:
That's funny... today is my birthday and I got Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney as a gift. Didn't even mean for that to happen.

No way I'm reading all that now, but I bookmarked the page and I'm going to read through it later. I'm extremely nervous.
Happy Birthday :D I hope you enjoy your day.

OT: Postal 2 does not equal games. There are just anomalies, as there is with anything. If you don't think movies don't have things like this, search A Serbian Film on Wikipedia. (not for the feint hearted)

But i'll read the transcript later.

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
Timbydude said:
Um, that section doesn't make it sound like it's going too well. It shows that the Court might not view games as necessarily protected by the First Amendment, which is bad, bad news indeed.
It does seem rather like the court believes it to be a foregone conclusion. If so then perhaps it is...

chickenlord

May 14, 2008
...what game can you light a school girl on fire and then piss on her?... the sims? or is it one of those freaky hentai AO games?

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
Alright.... I just read the entire thing word for word.

Based on what I see, and on my own knowledge about how these cases go, I am thinking that this is going to get struck down. It probably won't be a totally decisive ruling (aka, they might leave some room for some degree of regulation), but I don't think that the California Law as it stands will survive in its present form. It just covers way too much.

On a side-note, I suddenly have realized once again why I actually liked my ConLaw classes. I like how these justices always seem to kick around anything that questionably does not make any sort of sense. Not just in this case, but in so many others before it. It is yet another example of my long-held belief that SCOTUS is the most sane part of the American Government. Always have been, and hopefully always will be.

ShoopDaToaster

Jun 15, 2010
When I saw this first I was like-

But then i was like-

Good to see we're getting pretty far in this battle.

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
Having now read most of the article, and having my only real image of the Supreme Court prior to this being their depiction on Boston Legal, I can honestly say they were depicted pretty damn accurately. I mean, it sounds like an absolute blast to be a Supreme Court Justice.

It seems like they liked our side of the case more, but I guess we won't know for sure until they rule.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
I'm still curious as to why this is even an issue with the ESRB in place (which, as we all know, has a higher rate of compliance than any other medium).

All I know is that if we win, I will sing from the fucking rooftops.

Varanfan9

Mar 12, 2010
I'm not too worried. It looks like we will win and even if we lose how long do they expect this law to stay after our generation who grew up on video games takes over their jobs.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
Lord_Panzer said:
Having now read most of the article, and having my only real image of the Supreme Court prior to this being their depiction on Boston Legal, I can honestly say they were depicted pretty damn accurately. I mean, it sounds like an absolute blast to be a Supreme Court Justice.

It seems like they liked our side of the case more, but I guess we won't know for sure until they rule.
It does. It really does. You can also tell that many of them also clearly enjoy doing this as well, though they still manage to do their jobs effectively.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Stupid people will be stupid.

Technically, Our courts should have absolutely no excuse to censor video games.

So obviously, everything will get constitutionally bum f*cked and we lose the case, cause that's just how awesome our court system is.

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
I've just finished reading today's transcripts -- it seems Scalia is defiantly on "our" side (*twitch*) I'm guessing Alito, Kagan and Sotomayor will possibly rule against the law also. Chief Justice Robers is probably going to side with the law; I honestly couldn't understand Justice Breyer after reading his statement several times but judging by the context it seems he's not a fan of video games either --- the other three didn't talk much so I couldn't say but it seems at this point that we're going to win this case. Worst case scenario, Roberts, Breyer and the last three vote to uphold the law leaving a 5-4 loss for video games but that would require all three who didn't express much opinion voting to uphold -- if even one of them vote to overturn the law or abstain then we still win.

Fuselage

Nov 18, 2009
I heard a wonderful argument before:
"In a country that is trying to find more jobs for people, They are potentially shutting down an industry that creates more jobs"
I forgot who posted this originally but it made me think...

Wrds

Dyslexic Wonder
Sep 4, 2008
That crock of bull about the founding fathers not knowing about video games is the most roundabouts argument I've ever seen.

Disregarding that our country is already based around the freedom of speech, the freedom of speech wasn't just some spur of the moment idea. The founding fathers added it because it is an unalienable right given to us by our creator. Whether you believe in god or not is irrelevant. Everyone, regardless of whether a country endorses it or not, has that right as a human being and should be free to express it. America thinks of itself as a forward thinking country. Well...were this to pass, they would prove the contrary of our country.

And like Mechsoap said, nearly all developers turn tail and run from Postal 2.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Judging from the Joystiq article linked (I haven't read the full document), I would guess that it's fairly evenly balanced. The Justices ripped both sides equally.

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
Yureina said:
Lord_Panzer said:

It does. It really does. You can also tell that many of them also clearly enjoy doing this as well, though they still manage to do their jobs effectively.
And Scalia, regardless of his views and principles, seems like an complete hoot. I mean:

Justice Kagan:
It's a candidate, meaning, yes, a reasonable jury could find that Mortal Kombat, which is an iconic game, which I am sure half of the clerks who work for us spend considerable amounts of time in their adolescence playing.

Justice Scalia:
I don't know what she's talking about.
Or:

Justice Scalia: (On the subject of government-appointed censorship juries)
Do we let government do that? Juries are not controllable. That's the wonderful thing about juries, also the worst thing about juries.

Wrds

Dyslexic Wonder
Sep 4, 2008
Kalezian said:
I dont know why, but I read that as if it was a game release date......

Schwarzenegger v. EMA, GOTY 2011......
Depending on how this turns out, wouldn't it be hilarious if a studio did make a game based on this court case? I don't know how that would work, but it'd be awesome.

SubManCow

Jul 10, 2008
Overall, a good read. I like how the respondent lawyer was able to kinda fend off the justices most of the time and allowed himself to speak and be heard (even interrupting the justices at times). Unlike the California lawyer who kept letting himself get cut off by the judges. The respondent lawyer sounded a lot more confident in his speech.

EDIT: Kinda reminded me a bit of Gyakuten Saiban. In fact I heard "Objection!" more than once in my head. ;p