Supreme Court Expected to Give Gaming Verdict Monday

Flac00

May 19, 2010
TestECull said:
I'm hoping the delay was caused by them taking turns playing New Vegas and GTA IV.
Or hopefully Top Gear the game (sorry, but i had to say that because of the stig)

Jabberwock King

Mar 27, 2011
sneakypenguin said:
Jabberwock King said:
With Scalia and Thomas on the court, as well as the other conservatives, I simply cannot be hopeful about this. The total butchering of decades of legal precedent that they have accomplished so far is astounding in it's audacity. So much damage has been done that I think all of the decisions they've made should be declared invalid and taken up by a new court. I don't know how the fuck someone would go about doing that, and I definitely doubt anything like it exists.
If you go back and read the transcripts Scalia especially was particularly on our side (seemingly)
I'm still worried, but thanks.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
hmmm... if it passes, will developers jump ship to Canada? I'd like to work for some of them without having to move down there...

edit:

Gotta love the irony in life don't you?

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
Generic Gamer said:
King Toasty said:
At 16, most kids are as mature as they will be until 20. Trust me on this one.
No they really aren't. Just, just no.
Until 19, then. But kids really don't change a whole lot 'till thei're other out of the house, or have a long-term postsecondary career.

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
-Dragmire- said:
hmmm... if it passes, will developers jump ship to Canada? I'd like to work for some of them without having to move down there...
Doubtful. Remember, Canada already HAS the laws that Arnold Schwartzy is trying to pass.

Our tax exemptions for developers are pretty great, though.

FMAylward

Jan 21, 2010
j0frenzy said:
The problem though is that in the American legal system limiting the sale of a product is a violation of a creator's freedom of speech and is a protected right for books, movie, music, etc.
While there aren't any laws enforcing them isn?t there non binding agreements that places will follow age ratings? In my opinion that is just as much a limit on the freedom of speech as a law enforcing it.

King Toasty said:
At 16, most kids are as mature as they will be until 20. Trust me on this one. You can also have a job at 16 in most places.

So can you imagine how terrible it is to go down to EB Games, with $70 that you saved up on a job, and not being able to buy Mass Effect because some bureaucrat is too lazy to change a law? It's not good. The government should decide when you're "mature", it should be up to the parents. So I agree with having ratings, so parents know which game is good for their kids, but how they choose the ratings and the laws surrounding them are blindingly restrictive and meaningless.
Then what is the point of an age rating on the box if a kid can just bypass their parents and buy the game anyway? I don't know what it is like in the US but if I could save up for an 2nd hand 18 rated game when I was 12 I am sure others could do the same now.

-Dragmire- said:
I belive this law only covers the sale not creation of the games so no reason for them to move unless they want to.

bob1052

Oct 12, 2010
Callate said:
I believe at this point if the Supreme Court rules that Arnold Schwarzenegger is better qualified to judge for the whole what is and is not suitable for the moral development of our children than those childrens' individual parents, I'm going to have to make a quick trip to Washington D.C. to spit on a justice.

(Please don't hurt me, Feds, I'm not serious.)
But it's fully possible that Arnold Schwarzenegger is every one of those children's father.

KirbyKrackle

Apr 25, 2011
King Toasty said:
-Dragmire- said:
Doubtful. Remember, Canada already HAS the laws that Arnold Schwartzy is trying to pass.

Could you please provide a link for information about Canada having a law similar to California's on the books?

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
xXAsherahXx said:
You forgot one thing though, the American justice system is broken to the point where we need an entirely new one. I've seen it in action first hand and as an observer. The antagonist always wins.
Agree entirely, except on the antagonist always wins. Not always.

I have a topic going on about how to change this stuff for the better. I really hope somthing even CAN be done to make the legal system better.

*is depressed*.

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
Duke Nukem Forever just came out too...we're screwed...hope you're happy fanboys >.>

Ed.

Jan 14, 2010
The UK system is entirely different you cant really compare.

US ratings for everything are done by the relevant industry its a voluntary system (has issues of impartiality but thats another debate)

The UK system is governed by PEGI pan European game information its not part of government but its ratings are legally binding (film is similar run by BBFC British board of film classification) this IMO seems like it would satisfy both sides

What CA want is direct government control which has so many problems its not even worth getting into

The other advantage to PEGI is that the categories are more sensible than the US ones simple numbers that age or higher. the box also has icons for why it got the rating violence, drugs, sex ect
http://www.pegi.info/en/index/id/33/

TL:DR the European system is funded by industry run by independent bodies and enforced by governments win win win IMHO

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
Witwoud said:
King Toasty said:
-Dragmire- said:

Could you please provide a link for information about Canada having a law similar to California's on the books?
I live in BC. Here, at least, it's illegal to sell M games to under-17's. This is roughly the same law that Schwartzy is proposing. I'll look for links, if you really want them.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
John Funk said:
Supreme Court Expected to Give Gaming Verdict Monday
I'm making a cake in anticipation of our victory. And if we lose? It's a rum cake. Really, though, Scalia's always-entertaining banter seem to indicate the court is ready to throw the responsibility for this shitstorm back on the nanny-state of California, and see if they're willing to foot the bill for enforcement.

Puzzlenaut

Mar 11, 2011
This could have one hell of an effect on the games industry if this goes against us... look what happened to Comic books and even childrens cartoons for much of the 70's. 80's and 90's.

Blatherscythe

Oct 14, 2009
I'm fairly certain the verdict will be in our favour. After all, who's Arnold to say what's too violent or innopropriate for children and the populace in general?