Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade; states can ban abortion

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Clarence Thomas writes that the Supreme Court should reconsider Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell — the rulings that now protect contraception, same-sex relationships, and same-sex marriage.
Guess all of us doom and gloomers we're just ahead of the curve, huh?
Dont worry, that's not their end goal. They can do more than getting rid of the gays and contraception

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
You know what falls under the same umbrella as the things Thomas mentioned, but he didn't name? Interracial marriage. Why? Because his wife is white.

"We don't need to protect those rights. I'm not using them."
I'm sure he thinks his marriage is safe. The Leopard hasn't eaten his face yet so all is well with the world.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
If you fail to beat someone like Trump convincingly enough that's an indictment of you regardless. Also the rules are equal for both parties and both agreed to play by them so complaining after the fact makes no sense.

If they wanna make abolishing the electoral college a campaigning issue I'm 100% for that...but they ACTUALLY have to do that, not just bring it up after losing and never when they win. They have to ahead of time go in with the intention of changing that part of the system. And then actually DO that once they win.

We knew they were likely gonna do this but I don't think it has had any effect in the elections so far, has it?

I guess it's interesting to see if it will mobilize more people to vote or make even more people be fed up with the democrats instead.

And hey you never know, it may energize republicans cause their last win has born fruit in their eyes so they may want to go for more. Maybe they can overturn women's right to vote next or something.
Trump election was never about Trump

Trump election was a distraction so the GOP can manipulate the system

Trump was incredibly useful because he would call people murderers and rapist and specifically detail how he personally is a rapist but if anyone else uses a word like degernate, they are clearly evil and must be excised.

Just like Harlon Carter, Rush Limbaugh, Newt Gingrich and Jerry Falwell before him, they get to lie and call everyone else evil, degenerate groomers but if anyone so much as talks, they can be labelled as evil

No matter how good someone is, it will not matter if the rules are different for different people

It's almost like the system is broken.. you might say systematically

(Note: I dont think Clinton would have been an even adequate president. I dont think Biden is good at all. They just wouldn't destroy the American culture like Trump and Reagan.)

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Goes down to the States, so vote out the assholes and get your preferred assholes in, and make it clear that that will be the case. Also something something maybe we can overhaul SCOTUS
Why would voting in someone at the state, or federal for that matter, do anything?

SCOTUS can just block anything they don't like, including reforms to SCOTUS

If there was reform after the Civil War, why would there be reform now? The general populace and voting never mattered, and will never matter, when it came to SCOTUS. This is THE whole point of SCOTUS. Blocking the 'dumb poor people', as the founding fathers call them, from having any powwe. This is what's intended in the US constitution

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
So basically states now have the right to tell women to go to other states to get the thing done. Or find someone who'll do it illegally.

Hmmm, I wonder what people are going to choose.

Also I learned that over 650K abortions are performed in the U.S every year which is like a LOT isn't it. I mean back in the 1980's in was 1.5mill per year so the rate has gone down, but that still sounds likes a lot.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
They can do more than getting rid of the gays and contraception
Well, overturning Obergefell is going to be a significantly harder ask than Roe or Griswold. First things first, it's a straightforward equal protection question, which means the court's leeway to overturn it is fairly limited and hinges on basically three sub-questions as per Carolene Products footnote four (the same ones upon which Obergefell hinged):

1. Is marriage a fundamental right?
2. Is sexual orientation grounds for suspect classification?

If either answer is "yes", the default standard for review is strict scrutiny. Only in the case that both are "no", can the court fall back to rational basis and find grounds to overturn Obergefell. Third question, not so important and it pretty much answers itself.

3. Is the Fourteenth Amendment part of the US Constitution, and therefore, is this legal question related to an enumerated constitutional right?

So, the conservative scrotus majority has to engineer an opinion that manages to argue marriage isn't a fundamental right, and that sexual orientation isn't grounds for suspect classification.

Without proving the counterpoint in the very process of engineering such opinion. The argument for prohibiting same-sex marriage is of marriage's presumed sanctity, and the very act of excluding same-sex couples from that right proves in and of itself the need for suspect classification.

The only conservative Supreme Court justice to have sat the bench in the last seventeen years who had anywhere near the intellect to proffer such an opinion that navigates those politically and logically treacherous waters, died in 2016. And they'll be having to do that without Roberts, who while being in Obergefell's minority, won't be so quick to overturn it now that it's established law.

Obergefell is a distraction right now; the real goalpost is overturning Griswold and that has nothing to do with contraception, I can promise you that. Because Griswold isn't just about contraception, it's a privacy case and overturning it will have ramifications on criminal procedure and law equivalent to that Chevron had on administrative law. The Miranda opinion that was handed down, is just a prelude to what happens when scrotus sets its gaze on Griswold.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
So basically states now have the right to tell women to go to other states to get the thing done. Or find someone who'll do it illegally.
Texas and Oklahoma already passed laws allowing citizens to sue anyone who helps someone leave the state to get an abortion. Kavanaugh has said he doesn't think doing so is Constitutional, but Kavanaugh also said he wouldn't vote to overturn Roe v. Wade, so....

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
...Because state issue now? What X makes illegal doesn't matter in Y.
The worry is that someone who lives in X will go to Y, get an abortion, and then be prosecuted once they return to X, despite it being totally legal to get one in Y.

I guarantee you this is gonna be the next step. States Rights are only for Red states, dontchaknow.

Reactions: Leg End

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Well, overturning Obergefell is going to be a significantly harder ask than Roe or Griswold. First things first, it's a straightforward equal protection question, which means the court's leeway to overturn it is fairly limited and hinges on basically three sub-questions as per Carolene Products footnote four (the same ones upon which Obergefell hinged):

If either answer is "yes", the default standard for review is strict scrutiny. Only in the case that both are "no", can the court fall back to rational basis and find grounds to overturn Obergefell. Third question, not so important and it pretty much answers itself.

3. Is the Fourteenth Amendment part of the US Constitution, and therefore, is this legal question related to an enumerated constitutional right?

So, the conservative scrotus majority has to engineer an opinion that manages to argue marriage isn't a fundamental right, and that sexual orientation isn't grounds for suspect classification.

Without proving the counterpoint in the very process of engineering such opinion. The argument for prohibiting same-sex marriage is of marriage's presumed sanctity, and the very act of excluding same-sex couples from that right proves in and of itself the need for suspect classification.

The only conservative Supreme Court justice to have sat the bench in the last seventeen years who had anywhere near the intellect to proffer such an opinion that navigates those politically and logically treacherous waters, died in 2016. And they'll be having to do that without Roberts, who while being in Obergefell's minority, won't be so quick to overturn it now that it's established law.
In truth, these barriers don't count for very much. The legal requirements and thresholds you've outlined above might sound very compelling to us on a straightforward logical basis, and they might even be quite meaningful in a system where judges were bound by such concerns.

But in practice, its not difficult for someone to bang out a justification for circumventing or disregarding those barriers. Apply a little tortured logic here; a little sympathetic emphasis there, and almost anything can be bypassed... after all, these are the judges that saw fit to disregard rights on the basis that they weren't old enough.

Personal political inclinations mean far more in the SCOTUS than sound legal reasoning. It's not as if the vast majority of people will even look at the wording of the ruling, and they know it. And even those who do are essentially powerless. It's unspoken but fully recognised throughout the country that the judiciary is another partisan body, only without the elections that occasionally irritate the executive and legislature.

Reactions: Dalisclock

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Also I learned that over 650K abortions are performed in the U.S every year which is like a LOT isn't it. I mean back in the 1980's in was 1.5mill per year so the rate has gone down, but that still sounds likes a lot.
Sounds to me like since RvW introduction, the number of performed abortions was cut by well over a half.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
In truth, these barriers don't count for very much. The legal requirements and thresholds you've outlined above might sound very compelling to us on a straightforward logical basis, and they might even be quite meaningful in a system where judges were bound by such concerns.

But in practice, its not difficult for someone to bang out a justification for circumventing or disregarding those barriers. Apply a little tortured logic here; a little sympathetic emphasis there, and almost anything can be bypassed... after all, these are the judges that saw fit to disregard rights on the basis that they weren't old enough.

Personal political inclinations mean far more in the SCOTUS than sound legal reasoning. It's not as if the vast majority of people will even look at the wording of the ruling, and they know it. And even those who do are essentially powerless. It's unspoken but fully recognised throughout the country that the judiciary is another partisan body, only without the elections that occasionally irritate the executive and legislature.
I'm as much a legal realist as any other person, but legal realism aside even a Supreme Court justice cannot merely say "because I said so". There very much still are boundaries on federal judicial power and the overall legitimacy of the court to consider, and even a justice like Felix Frankfurter -- the most-overturned justice to the best of my continuing knowledge -- needed legal bases upon which to write opinions.

Hence, Roberts' concurrence, but refusal to join the majority.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but Dred Scott took not just one but two amendments to the US Constitution (and a civil war in the meantime) to fully overturn, because it was a legally-ironclad opinion. Whether or not you agree with the case, its ratio, or its disposition, it was legally ironclad. Make of my direct and deliberate comparison of Dobbs to Dred Scott, what you will.

Reactions: Leg End

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
I have this novel idea. You do whatever the fuck you want with you own body and you pay for the consequences of your actions yourself. You don't tell other people what they can and can't do with theirs because you think you speak for your imaginary sky man.

Damn it America, why are you so opposed to people having control over their own bodies?
Because Christian Fundamentalism.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

Obergefell is a distraction right now; the real goalpost is overturning Griswold and that has nothing to do with contraception, I can promise you that. Because Griswold isn't just about contraception, it's a privacy case and overturning it will have ramifications on criminal procedure and law equivalent to that Chevron had on administrative law. The Miranda opinion that was handed down, is just a prelude to what happens when scrotus sets its gaze on Griswold.
Do.... you think ANY of this matters? They just got rid of Roe v Wade without making a counterpoint. Or logic. Eg. to SCTOUS sexual orientation is a disease that needs to be cured, not pandered to. They can be banned from marriage because they need medical help. Marriage is like guns, a fundamental right.... for healthy people.

Also, yes. Griswold is not the real goal. It's a stepping stone to getting rid of privacy. It's been the whole point. I've already stated this, in this thread. Trump continually banged on about getting rid of free speech, so pick a bunch of precedents to do with that to. I also wouldnt be surprised if Miranda starts coming up. Another stepping stone here is to stop race mixed marriage. Someone here stated that this would 'send abortion medicine into overdrive.' Yes, these conservatives have already thought of this. That's why they are targeting privacy. It's why for decades people have been using the 'Nothing to Hide' argument... specifically to get you to give up your privacy

It's why you have stupid laws like only legally being allowed 6 dildos in Texas and having to euphemisms in Texas that stands in for dildos. You cant enforce this law effectively without getting rid of privacy and free speech and letting people have the ability to defend themselves.

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States

Y'allnewd to remeber that a century old concealed carry law was just struck down too. The 2nd amendment was significantly changed within my lifetime based on the flimsy excuse that you can ignore the part of a statement that's contained within commas.

Logical reasoning doesn't actually matter. There's no Supremer Court that's making sure these people stay within logical limits. "The 14th amendment doesn't say sexual orientation" is all they need to explode gay marriage. If that.

And they will. Not to mention that "what kind of sex you have" isn't a constitutional right, so there's contraception and sodomy too.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
...Because state issue now? What X makes illegal doesn't matter in Y.
SCOTUS has struck down state laws. In this very session. In a very partisan way. Eg. NY and Maine. No, it doesn't matter what Texas does to Colorado's laws. That's not what I said. I said that SCOTUS will interfere with state laws

Let's say there is two court cases, one that challenges Colardo's abortion new law and one that challenges Texas' abortion laws. SCOTUS will make Colorado's law invalid and make Texas' precedent. That's how the Supreme Court works

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Texas and Oklahoma already passed laws allowing citizens to sue anyone who helps someone leave the state to get an abortion. Kavanaugh has said he doesn't think doing so is Constitutional, but Kavanaugh also said he wouldn't vote to overturn Roe v. Wade, so....
Anyone done a tally on how many Justices lied to get on the Supreme Court?

I think that's important

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
It is a less than ideal solution, and a bandaid at that, but the first step to fixing this mess is to unpack the court. Three more Justices, STAT. Snap to it, Congress.

But to accomplish that we've got to pack both houses. And to do that, Dems have got to learn to fall in line like the Republicans do. That's how we ended up with Trump. That's how the court got packed.