Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade; states can ban abortion

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Well, overturning Obergefell is going to be a significantly harder ask than Roe or Griswold. First things first, it's a straightforward equal protection question, which means the court's leeway to overturn it is fairly limited and hinges on basically three sub-questions as per Carolene Products footnote four (the same ones upon which Obergefell hinged):

1. Is marriage a fundamental right?
2. Is sexual orientation grounds for suspect classification?

If either answer is "yes", the default standard for review is strict scrutiny. Only in the case that both are "no", can the court fall back to rational basis and find grounds to overturn Obergefell. Third question, not so important and it pretty much answers itself.

3. Is the Fourteenth Amendment part of the US Constitution, and therefore, is this legal question related to an enumerated constitutional right?

So, the conservative scrotus majority
Misspelling, or intentional?

original.gif

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Is that same attitude and part of the reason why Trump got presidency. You had a whole bunch of people claiming "nothing I do really matters!". Most of them between the ages of 18 and 25 of course. It certainly mattered when the big fuck nut started screwing everything up! They thought it'll all be fun and games! They thought nothing could go wrong! They thought nothing they did actually matter! It was only when they start seeing how many screw ups he made, how much the country was messing up even further, and the World at Large was receiving the after effects, they decide to get off their asses and do something.
It's less that nothing I do matters and more nothing I do will produce the outcome I want, and if I can't have what I want I will drag you down with me for robbing me of even the shot of getting it.

Obama should have appointed one judge, he shouldn't have succumbed to the republicans, and Ginsburg should have retired after her 8th cancer and bone fracture surgery before she turned 150 years old. Trump just capitalized on the democratic incompetence we've come to know and love. Any other republican would have done just the same too.
Trump election was never about Trump

Trump election was a distraction so the GOP can manipulate the system

Trump was incredibly useful because he would call people murderers and rapist and specifically detail how he personally is a rapist but if anyone else uses a word like degernate, they are clearly evil and must be excised.

Just like Harlon Carter, Rush Limbaugh, Newt Gingrich and Jerry Falwell before him, they get to lie and call everyone else evil, degenerate groomers but if anyone so much as talks, they can be labelled as evil

No matter how good someone is, it will not matter if the rules are different for different people

It's almost like the system is broken.. you might say systematically

(Note: I dont think Clinton would have been an even adequate president. I dont think Biden is good at all. They just wouldn't destroy the American culture like Trump and Reagan.)

Trump is not the one enforcing these rules, nor are the republicans capable of that. It's the liberal media and cultural elites who care more about decorum and BS like the parlimentarian who mind rudeness more than dead people. They maintain these sorts of rules. Sure, Trump does have an uncanny ability to not be affected by them, but that doesn't mean that these are good rules that we should keep having. Doubly so when there's someone like Trump who is immune to them.

Honestly, if we can get rid of those rules, that will be a net positive for our discourse despite all the chaos that Trump left in his wake.

Last edited:
Reactions: Specter Von Baren

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's less that nothing I do matters and more nothing I do will produce the outcome I want, and if I can't have what I want I will drag you down with me for robbing me of even the shot of getting it.
Same difference. It's matter of whether they're aware of the fact or, they even care. Most started caring the second time around.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
$10k state payed bounty in Texas
Maybe they can make a sequel to that Dog the bounty hunter reality show.

Next one's gonna be called Rawdog the preggo stopper. "You preggo, so I can't let you go, unless you go with christ."

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Trump is not the one enforcing these rules, nor are the republicans capable of that. It's the liberal media and cultural elites who care more about decorum and BS like the parlimentarian who mind rudeness more than dead people. They maintain these sorts of rules. Sure, Trump does have an uncanny ability to not be affected by them, but that doesn't mean that these are good rules that we should keep having. Doubly so when there's someone like Trump who is immune to them.

Honestly, if we can get rid of those rules, that will be a net positive for our discourse despite all the chaos that Trump left in his wake.
The decorum of... not calling people rapist and murderess?

How will letting everyone calling each other racist, podophiles, rapist and murderers helping anything? Why in the gods name did Hillary get racked through the mud over 'degenerates'? That seem perfectly acceptable under your terms.

Better yet, who in the media were the main critics of Hillary over the basket of degenerates thing?

Lastly, are you saying that if I point out that someone calling other people rapist and murderers is bad (when there is no proof of them being rapist and murderers) make me the bad guy?

Last edited:

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Without relitigating the old arguments we've had about Roe v. Wade, I have to ask out of curiosity: how do you feel about Thomas' statement that the protections for contraception and same-sex relationships should also be reconsidered?
I don't appreciate the comment only because he limited himself to those few issues. I appreciate the broad perspective on governance and jurisprudence that Clarence Thomas has. We live in a stupid time where the legislature pretty much actively avoids settling any controversial issues and waits for the courts or a sufficiently zealous executive to just order things be done, and that isn't the constitutional republic that America was built to be. This ruling is a rare moment in history when a powerful institution is saying "no, we shouldn't have this power, take it back", which I'm a fan of. If people want legal protections for abortion, pass them. If people want sexuality to be a protected class like race, get an amendment in there. Let's get back to the point where our representatives actually had to legislate.

But that he only mentioned major cases that offend his personal political sensibilities is a bad look. Not unusual for Thomas, who is hardly a politician and has been very blunt from the moment he was nominated, but still pretty ugly as far as polarizing the country.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
The decorum of... not calling people rapist and murderess?

How will letting everyone calling each other racist, podophiles, rapist and murderers helping anything? Why in the gods name did Hillary get racked through the mud over 'degenerates'? That seem perfectly acceptable under your terms.

Better yet, who in the media were the main critics of Hillary over the basket of degenerates thing?

Lastly, are you saying that if I point out that someone calling other people rapist and murderers is bad (when there is no proof of them being rapist and murderers) make me the bad guy?
People being outraged at being called names and not focusing on helping people is why so many abstain. Normal people don't give a damn someone is called a rapist pedophile just like how they don't care when the other side calls people racist or white supremacist. You gotta focus on economic issues and science and human progress.

Hillary didn't call em degenerates lol that'd be funny, she called them deplorables, which is a snooty elitist sort of insult that has no real backbone. Your brain overwrote it into something that'd be a fitting response cause you're a normal person. She is a robot XD.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Why should that matter when we vote? We don't get any say in the Supreme Court justices. And if the last few years have shown anything, it's that the idea of "for the people" is fucking bullshit. I hate to sound defeatist, and I do vote whenever I can, but as soon as someone gets into power, that's it, that's all. Either side, doesn't matter. They'll do what they want, and all the protests mean jack shit, because the people can't actually do anything.

Edit: And yes, one side is definitely worse. But as this shows, that one side is the one that can basically hold total legal power, and we can't even vote them out over it, because that's not how the Supreme Court works.
"But it's democracy, you voted for (the guy who voted for it)!"

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
If it's so universally bad that you can blame one, you can blame all. Democrats, be f'ing warriors. Republicans, Be f'ing smarter. Independents, choose a real God Damned Side.
What would a smarter republican look like though, an actually competent evil genius who would overturn democracy once and for all, or someone not invested in courting the troglodytes of what passes for 'christianity' in America and interested in sane reality based policies?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I don't appreciate the comment only because he limited himself to those few issues. I appreciate the broad perspective on governance and jurisprudence that Clarence Thomas has. We live in a stupid time where the legislature pretty much actively avoids settling any controversial issues and waits for the courts or a sufficiently zealous executive to just order things be done, and that isn't the constitutional republic that America was built to be. This ruling is a rare moment in history when a powerful institution is saying "no, we shouldn't have this power, take it back", which I'm a fan of. If people want legal protections for abortion, pass them. If people want sexuality to be a protected class like race, get an amendment in there. Let's get back to the point where our representatives actually had to legislate.

But that he only mentioned major cases that offend his personal political sensibilities is a bad look. Not unusual for Thomas, who is hardly a politician and has been very blunt from the moment he was nominated, but still pretty ugly as far as polarizing the country.
Sexuality is already protected under the 14th amendment, as sex is a protected class. If you punish a dude for having sex with a dude but not a gal for having sex with a dude, you're punishing him due to his sex. Same way with marriage

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
"But it's democracy, you voted for (the guy who voted for it)!"
And that's why I vote. If I don't vote, I feel like I lose a fair bit of ground to complain when the wrong guy wins or does something I disagree with.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
"As president, Biden will work to codify Roe v. Wade, and his Justice Department will do everything in its power to stop the rash of state laws that so blatantly violate the constitutional right to an abortion, such as so-called TRAP laws, parental notification requirements, mandatory waiting periods, and ultrasound requirements."
Yup, I'm sure glad Biden definitely put effort into that promise. In fact, I'm glad the democrats, who had 50 FUCKING YEARS to codify Roe V Wade and kept promising to do so definitely made an effort and actually followed through on their promises. Boy wouldn't it be a huge shit-show now if they hadn't actually bothered to do anything for HALF A CENTURY to maintain abortion access like they've promised as a cornerstone of their platform for decades?

Oh no wait, making campaign promises nets more money than actually following through on them so of course they didn't do anything and now here we are. Disgraceful.

Last edited:

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
So basically states now have the right to tell women to go to other states to get the thing done. Or find someone who'll do it illegally.

Hmmm, I wonder what people are going to choose.

Also I learned that over 650K abortions are performed in the U.S every year which is like a LOT isn't it. I mean back in the 1980's in was 1.5mill per year so the rate has gone down, but that still sounds likes a lot.
Apparently the state of California is preparing for a 3000% increase in abortions performed in the state. We already get a lot of tourism dollars, now we'll add abortion tourism dollars to the pile.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Texas and Oklahoma already passed laws allowing citizens to sue anyone who helps someone leave the state to get an abortion. Kavanaugh has said he doesn't think doing so is Constitutional, but Kavanaugh also said he wouldn't vote to overturn Roe v. Wade, so....
Yes, but Kavanaugh has no intention of restricting the options of the affluent. They have abortions too, after all. Whilst they'll tolerate the inconvenience of having to go out of state to get one, they won't tolerate being punished for it.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Yup, I'm sure glad Biden definitely put effort into that promise. In fact, I'm glad the democrats, who had 50 FUCKING YEARS to codify Roe V Wade and kept promising to do so definitely made an effort and actually followed through on their promises. Boy wouldn't it be a huge shit-show now if they hadn't actually bothered to do anything for HALF A CENTURY to maintain abortion access like they've promised as a cornerstone of their platform for decades?

Oh no wait, making campaign promises nets more money than actually following through on them so of course they didn't do anything and now here we are. Disgraceful.
If they had managed to codify Roe, wouldn't this SCOTUS still have claimed 'Yeah sorry, but it's still not in the original constitution' and then overturned it anyway? Not an expert on this, but this SCOTUS (the dipshit conservative side at least) seems to just do whatever the fuck it wants.

Love how "devastated" Pelosi was though, just weeks after putting her power behind getting an anti-abortion democrate elected.

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
People being outraged at being called names and not focusing on helping people is why so many abstain. Normal people don't give a damn someone is called a rapist pedophile just like how they don't care when the other side calls people racist or white supremacist. You gotta focus on economic issues and science and human progress.

Hillary didn't call em degenerates lol that'd be funny, she called them deplorables, which is a snooty elitist sort of insult that has no real backbone. Your brain overwrote it into something that'd be a fitting response cause you're a normal person. She is a robot XD.
Are... you... serious?

Reactions: Thaluikhain

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
A sad day. The best I can offer is that the mechanism of securing abortion rights via a supreme court case has always been a bit wrong-headed, so they'll now have to do it via the proper channels, but I cannot claim that I appreciate rights taken for granted being taken away.

I have this novel idea. You do whatever the fuck you want with you own body and you pay for the consequences of your actions yourself. You don't tell other people what they can and can't do with theirs because you think you speak for your imaginary sky man.

Damn it America, why are you so opposed to people having control over their own bodies?
If you want to go that route, one can go "Sure: you may make love to whomever willing partner you'd like but if it results in a pregnancy you have to carry it to term. Those are the consequences. And doing an abortion would be choosing for the baby what to do with their body."

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
If they had managed to codify Roe, wouldn't this SCOTUS still have claimed 'Yeah sorry, but it's still not in the original constitution' and then overturned it anyway? Not an expert on this, but this SCOTUS (the dipshit conservative side at least) seems to just do whatever the fuck it wants.
Yeah, "state's rights" and all that. Could've been the most rock solid federal law on the books and a 6-3 court would just say "lmao, not constitutional". Then the federal abortion bans come and they'll make some other shit up to say it's legit.

We're well past the point of good, logical governance
Love how "devastated" Pelosi was though, just weeks after putting her power behind getting an anti-abortion democrate elected.
Vote blue no matter who, even if blue will vote for an abortion ban.

Reactions: Casual Shinji