Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade; states can ban abortion

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
*Slow Clap*

Louisiana's abortion ban says you can't have an abortion when the fetus has a heartbeat. The fact that it doesn't have a skull is irrelevant

Edit: And "Crisis Pregnancy Centers" can fuck *all* the way off, fucking hell
Fucking hell. I hate using the word "evil" but what else is there to say? Truly fucking despicable, inhuman, psychopathic obsession with control and punishment. There's no defense for this, and I've no respect for anyone trying to indulge in such self-serving bullshit.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Then, they don't make money working...
Then, you have the incentive to incarcerate as many people as possible to create an unpaid labor force. It's an inherent flaw in the system.
You have in your head that anyone on the right is some super villain with a mustache stroking a cat on their lap. They are just people like anyone else.
People doing bad things to harm people out of some misguided sense of archaic morality, yes. Also, logical fallacy
Exactly my point, you have to have principles and apply them to both things you don't like and things you do like.
You have dramatically misunderstood what my principles are. My principles are not, in fact, tied to bueracracy
Roe was bad law plain and simple, it wasn't even applied to all medical procedures because of how stupid the argument was. Everybody knew it, the left didn't want to do anything about it so they could keep running on that. And now they can run even harder on restoring abortion rights.
Completly ignoring the right's role oin that, and the fact it's already causing a significant amount of horror.
No, it is not.
If it was such a slam dunk why wasn't it a 9-0 decision, moron
Again, principles...
...are something that you can't fathom a different axis of, yes.
Isn't the Declaration even more historical than the Constitution? Like I already said, if you think the originalist view of the constitution is that, then gay marriage is the least of your worries.
If by "historical", you mean older, sure. If by "historical" you mean "has any relevance to the United States Government", no. ************, it's *you* who's claiming it's relevant, not me. The rich white dudes created a system where only landowning men could vote, women couldn't own property, and an entire class of people was legally enslaved. No, they didn't give a *shit* about equality for all.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Fucking hell. I hate using the word "evil" but what else is there to say? Truly fucking despicable, inhuman, psychopathic obsession with control and punishment. There's no defense for this, and I've no respect for anyone trying to indulge in such self-serving bullshit.
Hey now, we wouldn't want in an infant to denied the right to live for maybe a day in extreme agony over it's brain slowing being ground down by sheer gravity, that would be evil. The federal government has not right to put a stop to this if a state government wants it to happen.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Hey now, we wouldn't want in an infant to denied the right to live for maybe a day in extreme agony over it's brain slowing being ground down by sheer gravity, that would be evil. The federal government has not right to put a stop to this if a state government wants it to happen.
Bad things only happen to bad people, so she's obviously a bad person for not having a normal baby and must be made to suffer for her sins!

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Bad things only happen to bad people, so she's obviously a bad person for not having a normal baby and must be made to suffer for her sins!
I mean, that's just evangelical Protestantism, specially of the Prosperity Gospel bent

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Then, you have the incentive to incarcerate as many people as possible to create an unpaid labor force. It's an inherent flaw in the system.
People doing bad things to harm people out of some misguided sense of archaic morality, yes. Also, logical fallacy
You have dramatically misunderstood what my principles are. My principles are not, in fact, tied to bueracracy
Completly ignoring the right's role oin that, and the fact it's already causing a significant amount of horror.
If it was such a slam dunk why wasn't it a 9-0 decision, moron
...are something that you can't fathom a different axis of, yes.
If by "historical", you mean older, sure. If by "historical" you mean "has any relevance to the United States Government", no. ************, it's *you* who's claiming it's relevant, not me. The rich white dudes created a system where only landowning men could vote, women couldn't own property, and an entire class of people was legally enslaved. No, they didn't give a *shit* about equality for all.
Free speech can be exploited so we shouldn't have free speech then. You can exploit anything...

Yet the left's policies cause more harm to groups that you have vowed to protect.

You don't have principles other than being for what you like and against what you don't like. For example, being for abortion yet for vaccine mandates, you can't be for both under the same principle.

At least the right fought for their morals, the left didn't and just used it for political gain.

So every right that wasn't 9-0 is in jeopardy? Also, you can easily get rid of gay marriage if you want by getting rid of the government recognizing marriage in the 1st place.

And the people that wrote the Declaration had free reign to do legislatively and judicially whatever they wanted?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
In the words of Seth Dillon, the CEO of The Babylon Bee - "Two wrongs don't make a right." Just because it's wrong that a fetus has no skull, doesn't mean it's right to abort it. By the way, this is also his stance on 14-year old rape victims. Joe Rogan thinks he's funny though.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
being for abortion yet for vaccine mandates, you can't be for both under the same principle.
okay. So then, by that same token, you believe that one can't be against abortion and against vaccine mandates. Right?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Free speech can be exploited so we shouldn't have free speech then. You can exploit anything...
A) We don't have free speech and never did. B) You're justifying slavery
Yet the left's policies cause more harm to groups that you have vowed to protect.
Nice and vague, no relation to specific topic, weaker than normal deflection
You don't have principles other than being for what you like and against what you don't like. For example, being for abortion yet for vaccine mandates, you can't be for both under the same principle.
For the record, I am also against the government forcing people to get vaccinated on pain of imprisonment with zero exceptions, both state and federal
At least the right fought for their morals, the left didn't and just used it for political gain.
Right, so we should be worried when the right says that LGBT people should be marginalized and eliminated for their perverse lifestyle, yes? Because the right fights for it's morals?
So every right that wasn't 9-0 is in jeopardy? Also, you can easily get rid of gay marriage if you want by getting rid of the government recognizing marriage in the 1st place.
If this Supreme Court were in session for Obergefell, it would've been 3-6 against. Why do you think it won't go that way if challenged now? They'd *absolutely* detonate Federal marriage benefits to stop gay marriage if they thought all the straight people losing their tax benefits would put up with it.
And the people that wrote the Declaration had free reign to do legislatively and judicially whatever they wanted?
I mean, most of them went on to write the articles of confederation, the US constitution, and the first federal laws, so yes? Obviously? They didn't have an authority that could overrule them, that's what the war was about

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Never said that. Black people are not infants, they don't need white people to survive. Just the quality of life within the broader society is a lot better than if you are excluded from it. Black people in the 60s weren't starving to death in the streets. They wanted better jobs and better homes that they were being denied based on their race. It is exactly the perspective of the self-righteous white racist to think of other races as only wanting to survive and dependent on white people to do so.
Not giving them welfare won't stop them from being excluded

It's not the problem. It wasn't cured when Reegan came along. It wasn't cured when Bush came along. It wasn't cured when Clinton came along

Lastly, YOU are the one calling white people racist. You stated that white employers werent giving blacks jobs based on race. That's why I keep pointing this out. You keep calling white people racists

EDIT: I just realised you wrote that you are better off if you are excluded from it. Was this a typo

Also, Ive gotta point out 'Black people in the 60s weren't starving to death in the streets' fits into the 'Tstorm missed providing enough information category'. I assume they survived. You told me the great society saved them

Last edited:

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Not giving them welfare won't stop them from being excluded
No, but governmentally enforced segregation is harder to fix than what occurs naturally, and not trying to fix what occured naturally was itself a failure.
It's not the problem. It wasn't cured when Reegan came along. It wasn't cured when Bush came along. It wasn't cured when Clinton came along
You're pretending the culture hasn't changed in 60 years, which is delusional. Black people can get good jobs and live in nice neighborhoods in 2022, some places actively pursue that happening.
Lastly, YOU are the one calling white people racist. You stated that white employers werent giving blacks jobs based on race. That's why I keep pointing this out. You keep calling white people racists
It's not all white people being racists, but enough to materially impact the experience of black people in the 1960s. Absolutely there were a ton of white racists in the 60s with the power to exclude people from their community.
EDIT: I just realised you wrote that you are better off if you are excluded from it. Was this a typo
I did not, there is no typo. It's "better than if you are excluded", not "better off if you are excluded", you misread a word.
You told me the great society saved them
I definitely didn't say that.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
No wonder a conservative "christian" would be against this.

"In the long run, statistical analysis shows that the Official Poverty Rate fell from 19.5 percent in 1963 to 12.3 percent in 2017. However, using a broader definition that includes cash income, taxes, and major in-kind transfers and inflation rates, the "Full-income Poverty Rate" based on President Johnson's standards fell from 19.5 percent to 2.3 percent over that period.[56][57]

The percentage of African Americans below the poverty line dropped from 55 percent in 1960 to 27 percent in 1968."

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
No wonder a conservative "christian" would be against this.

"In the long run, statistical analysis shows that the Official Poverty Rate fell from 19.5 percent in 1963 to 12.3 percent in 2017. However, using a broader definition that includes cash income, taxes, and major in-kind transfers and inflation rates, the "Full-income Poverty Rate" based on President Johnson's standards fell from 19.5 percent to 2.3 percent over that period.[56][57]

The percentage of African Americans below the poverty line dropped from 55 percent in 1960 to 27 percent in 1968."
Be more critical of what you read. The poverty rate in 1960 was like 23% and had dropped to like 17% by the time the Great Society programs started. Lyndon Johnson inherited a massive downward trend in poverty. The same is true for black poverty, that 55% in 1960 had already dropped to like 40% in just 5 years before the Great Society. Immediately preceeding the Great Society programs, poverty was falling at probably the fastest rate in US history. By the time Johnson had left office, the poverty rate was leveling off. The red lines below I added to represent the start of the Great Society programs to the end of Johnson's term.
1660995094733.png
Poverty was already dropping. The Great Society stabilized it.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Justice or justices? And, no they didn't.
Justices-- it's in the majority opinion. Yes, they did; you've already been provided with the direct quote in which they say so.

But equality and marriage are... thus same sex marriage is...
For most of the existence of the United States, same-sex marriage was not considered included in the right to marriage. Four of the Justices involved in Obergefell argued that it isn't included. 3 of whom still serve.

All they need is a flimsy justification. "It doesn't count as 'marriage' if it's same-sex, therefore same-sex marriage isn't included". "Gay people already have the right to marriage, because they can marry the opposite sex". <-- both arguments used very extensively by Republican opponents of same-sex marriage.

People only have so much time and energy to put into things. You put X amount of time and energy into Y and you can't put that in Z.
I promise you that my occasional posts on this forum about same-sex marriage are not detracting from my ability to care about other issues. :rolleyes:

So they can just say slavery is OK without repealing the 13th amendment? You have in your head that anyone on the right is some super villain with a mustache stroking a cat on their lap. They are just people like anyone else.
Nope. But not because the Constitution stands in their way; because American society is wholly against slavery, including the vast majority of Republicans.

Same-sex marriage, on the other hand? A large chunk of Republican politicians and voters oppose it.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
It says exactly what I think it says.
It's almost like the Founding Fathers knew they couldn't possibly have thought of or gotten support for including every single possible right when they were drafting the Constitution and thus put in the 9th Amendment specifically to allow more rights to be added in the future. Especially for things that society and technology at the time couldn't allow, like the right to an abortion, women's rights in general, and abolishing slavery.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
It's almost like the Founding Fathers knew they couldn't possibly have thought of or gotten support for including every single possible right when they were drafting the Constitution and thus put in the 9th Amendment specifically to allow more rights to be added in the future. Especially for things that society and technology at the time couldn't allow, like the right to an abortion, women's rights in general, and abolishing slavery.
If the founding fathers all believed in these rights they could've absolutely added them all. Allowing a document to be edited does not mean that you get to claim credit for future edits done by other people

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I'm pretty sure society was capable of allowing "women's rights in general" and no slavery.

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
I'm pretty sure society was capable of allowing "women's rights in general" and no slavery.
If the founding fathers all believed in these rights they could've absolutely added them all. Allowing a document to be edited does not mean that you get to claim credit for future edits done by other people
Sure, if the Founding Fathers were stupid. The Founding Fathers Thomas Jefferson in particular wanted to include a passage in the Declaration of Independence condemning slavery but took it out because they knew the colonies as a whole would never support the revolution otherwise. Afterward, they didn't ban slavery when the Constitution was drafted because they knew the entire country would be torn apart, like it nearly was a century later. Right after the Revolutionary War was an even worse time to do it since the chaos might have allowed the British to swoop in and reclaim the country.

There were plenty of reasons to not do these things yet, which is why the 9th amendment is important because it allowed room for those to be added in at a later time. Whatever the motivations for each of them society was NOT capable of allowing slavery or women's rights among other things when the United States was founded and the Founding Fathers knew that. So they left it to future generations when there would be a chance in hell that the country could survive the addition of these rights.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Sure, if the Founding Fathers were stupid. The Founding Fathers Thomas Jefferson in particular wanted to include a passage in the Declaration of Independence condemning slavery but took it out because they knew the colonies as a whole would never support the revolution otherwise. Afterward, they didn't ban slavery when the Constitution was drafted because they knew the entire country would be torn apart, like it nearly was a century later. Right after the Revolutionary War was an even worse time to do it since the chaos might have allowed the British to swoop in and reclaim the country.

There were plenty of reasons to not do these things yet, which is why the 9th amendment is important because it allowed room for those to be added in at a later time. Whatever the motivations for each of them society was NOT capable of allowing slavery or women's rights among other things when the United States was founded and the Founding Fathers knew that so they left it to future generations.
To be perfectly honest, it doesn't actually matter to the argument whether you think the Founding Fathers personally would've supported true equality if they could or not. The point is they didn't. The point of contention here was whether the Constitution as it exists promised true equality, and it clearly didn't.

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX