Surprisingly good games you bought because they were cheap

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Mobile Suit Gundam: Journey to Jaburo. I've bought better games for the same price or less, but those were all games I knew ahead of time were good, and just got really lucky with. This one I picked up because I liked the license and because it cost me all of $2 in Gamestop, and I was pleasantly surprised with a solid mecha game. I played through the whole thing in about two days, which is a rarity for me; I rarely beat anything I buy, unless it's ridiculously short or really good. This one was both.

Note: "ridiculously short" here means "the perfect length for someone with an attention span like mine." It also means below 10 hours, preferably below 6.

Haukur Isleifsson

Jun 2, 2010
I got Warhammer 40000: Dawn of war for free when I bought Company of heroes. An I have played it trough several times. I later bought a box set with Dawn of war, Winter assault, Dark Crusade and Soulstorm for a relatively low price. And I have thoroughly enjoyed them all. I'll admit that in many aspects they are not especially "Good" but they sure as hell are fun.

Haukur Isleifsson

Jun 2, 2010
Oh and yes, I stumbled upon Age of Wonder 2 a long time ago on a ridiculously low price. Thought it would be crap but I still play it today to my everlasting enjoyment.

braincore02

Jan 14, 2008
Hitman Blood Money. I had ignored the Hitman series since the beginning, but heard good things about Blood Money, so when I saw it cheap I thought I'd give it a shot. Was exceedingly surprised by how much replay value it had, and how much fun it was to be a sneaky bloodthirsty bastard.

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
Fable 2, Oblivion GOTY edition, Metal Arms, Chibi-Robo, Resident Evil 4.

I'm happy Gamestop is cutting down prices on older games, but still, it seems like they cut good deals like that out of a tremendous fear of no costumers or sells.

I metaphorically spat out water in suprise when I learned Mass Effect 2 is worth $45, what's Gamestop doing with the huge loads of cash they got? renting out trailer parks?

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Second Sight for three dollars, and Freedom Fighters for seven.

Both are amazing games. Top ten in the PS2, top 100 ever.

EDIT: 1600 hundred, yay!

Jolly Madness

Mar 21, 2008
Painkiller, found it for like 10$ (games are about twice as cheap in Norway as other places, new games go for 100$ a pop)

Calobi

Dec 29, 2007
Dokapon Kingdom for around $20. If you have a PS2 and friends who you hang out with with any regularity you must get this game.

AwesomeFerret

Apr 28, 2010
Project Sylpheed for the 360, the one time that Square Enix got into space ship shooters. A fun, gorgeous game but its one short little blighter.

Feste the Jester

Jul 10, 2009
Mass Effect. I went in to buy Bioshock and the used copy cost much less than I thought, so I picked up Mass Effect as well with the extra money.

Xeros

Aug 13, 2008
I got Freedom Fighters for $.99, and it turned out to be one of the best game I ever played. I have to have beaten that at least 6 times, and I just recently started replaying it.

fyrsten

Aug 19, 2009
Painkiller Black edit. Very cool.
Also universe at war, earth assault on steam, an overlooked pearl.