Suspended Animation Becomes a Reality, Human Trials Underway

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
lacktheknack said:
Tony2077 said:
Zeren said:
"Since these injuries have a very high fatality rate with no alternative treatments, surgeons don't actually need the patient's consent to attempt this experimental procedure."

Bullshit you don't need their permission. If I had this done to me, even if it saved my life, I would sue the pants off of them for using me as a lab rat without my permission.
well its either try this and have a chance to live or don't and your dead which one would you prefer
Alive with money. Because as much as we complain that companies are greedy, we forget that individual people are often equally greedy to the point of insane cognitive dissonance.

It's OK, though, let him try. His lawsuit would be chucked nigh-instantly.

OT: The blood-draining part is really, really creepy, but it's still a really cool tech. :D
well its better then the old blood draining stuff they did

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
Sounds like this 'practice' of draining people of all of their blood and replacing it with water will likely kill more people than it will save, also, how are HUMAN experiments okay so quickly? Is this done on a voluntary basis? "You've been fatally shot, we're going to drain all of your blood now and freeze you like a popsicle, that okay?"

Insanity_Incarnate

Feb 9, 2014
michael87cn said:
Sounds like this 'practice' of draining people of all of their blood and replacing it with water will likely kill more people than it will save, also, how are HUMAN experiments okay so quickly? Is this done on a voluntary basis? "You've been fatally shot, we're going to drain all of your blood now and freeze you like a popsicle, that okay?"
Emergency procedures like this are relatively easy to get to human testing. After all if you need emergency surgery right now and the standard methods for keeping you alive aren't working trying something new is not going to actually shorten your life expectancy by any noticeable amount.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
This isn't so much "suspended animation" and more along the lines of a heavily refined version of invasive induced hypothermia, induced hypothermia is becoming more and common for things like heart failure and strokes as it gives EMTs anything up to thirty or fourty minutes to resuscitate the patient (some of the longest on record, quite rare and not all that common).

Turning it towards trauma with a faster acting and more intensive cooling would give them time to get the patient into theatre and start patching up the injuries.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Zeren said:
"Since these injuries have a very high fatality rate with no alternative treatments, surgeons don't actually need the patient's consent to attempt this experimental procedure."

Bullshit you don't need their permission. If I had this done to me, even if it saved my life, I would sue the pants off of them for using me as a lab rat without my permission.
Of course, it's not like they have any other reason to save your life.

Take that as you will.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
I don't think "We'll pump you fool of sticky shit and then freeze you for a few hours while we have our lunch, mm'kay?" is suspended animation.

It's more like... well, I don't know what you'd call that, but that's not suspended animation.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
dylanmc12 said:
I don't think "We'll pump you fool of sticky shit and then freeze you for a few hours while we have our lunch, mm'kay?" is suspended animation.

It's more like... well, I don't know what you'd call that, but that's not suspended animation.
Its called induced hypothermia and this particular form of it is just a refinement of existing techniques that are in use around the world already, during "invasive induced hypothermia" they already fit catheters to major arteries like the femoral arteries and inject chilled saline solution. It doesn't freeze the person it just delays cell death and allows time for resuscitation.

Usually its used for heart attacks, cardiac arrest, embolisms and strokes and lengthens the amount of time a person can be successfully resuscitated and reduces the chance and/or severity of any brain injury from lack of oxygen. Now they are intending to replace the blood instead of just rapidly chilling it by injecting chilled saline, the idea is to further delay cell death and allow surgery to repair trauma injuries before attempting resuscitation.

The whole field of treatment basically came about because of the huge lengths of time some people where "dead" after drowning in icy water, typically if someones heart stops and they stop breathing after 2-3 mins they cannot be resuscitated and even if they can they are brain damaged or even brain dead. People suffering rapid onset hypothermia have been resuscitation up to 30-40 mins after "death".

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
Zeren said:

Try reading your post aloud to yourself, and the enormous selfishness and ingratitude might be more apparent. You would sue someone for saving your life with an experimental treatment if the only other option was death? Why?

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Blah. :( Let me know when they come up with a long-term suspended animation process. Something that'll let me take a nap for a hundred years.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Littaly said:
I have a vague memory of seeing this on an episode of House once..
Yeah, I was going to say this. They just drained all the blood and put it back, but she was under cooling blankets. Basically they restarted her system.

So as House would say..."Neat."

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Zeren said:

It doesn't matter, they don't need consent. Also a huge amount of revolutionary treatments started by a doctor just trying something desperate to save someones life. So let's look at the pros and cons here of this:

Pros:
-You are alive.
-You have had your life saved by basically super science.
-Many more lives could be saved by what they learned.
-Seriously they pumped all the blood out of your body and then back in!

Cons:
-They didn't ask if they could save your life.

Look, I can understand someone being pissed about losing a limb or something drastic. I once had my balls shaved for an operation and I was not really pleased about it. But this is life and death and even if you pulled through without this technique, you face the same risks.

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
Tony2077 said:
Zeren said:

well its either try this and have a chance to live or don't and your dead which one would you prefer
I would prefer dead. It's my choice what happens to my body, and if I don't agree to what they do to it, they shouldn't do it.

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
Lono Shrugged said:
Zeren said:

It doesn't matter, they don't need consent. Also a huge amount of revolutionary treatments started by a doctor just trying something desperate to save someones life. So let's look at the pros and cons here of this:

Pros:
-You are alive.
-You have had your life saved by basically super science.
-Many more lives could be saved by what they learned.
-Seriously they pumped all the blood out of your body and then back in!

Cons:
-They didn't ask if they could save your life.

Look, I can understand someone being pissed about losing a limb or something drastic. I once had my balls shaved for an operation and I was not really pleased about it. But this is life and death and even if you pulled through without this technique, you face the same risks.
Oh yes it it my choice. They did something to my body that is experimental. I don't care if it works, I refuse to be someone's testing ground.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
Zeren said:
Tony2077 said:
Zeren said:

I would prefer dead. It's my choice what happens to my body, and if I don't agree to what they do to it, they shouldn't do it.
lol really you would rather die then have them use something to save you

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
Tony2077 said:
Zeren said:
Tony2077 said:
Zeren said:

Yes. If I don't sign off on an experimental procedure, they should not be doing it to me.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Maybe he's one of those Jehova's Witnesses? Those people are weird about this sort of thing.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
Zeren said:
Tony2077 said:
Zeren said:
Tony2077 said:
Zeren said:

Yes. If I don't sign off on an experimental procedure, they should not be doing it to me.
i think your missing something

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
Tony2077 said:
Zeren said:
Tony2077 said:
Zeren said:
Tony2077 said:
Zeren said:

i think your missing something
No, I'm not. It's my body, it's my choice about how it's treated. If I don't want it to be experimented on, then it's not going to be experimented on.