Swatter Arrested, Could Face Five Years in Prison

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Swatter Arrested, Could Face Five Years in Prison

Las Vegas resident Brian "Framed God" Wilson has been arrested on charges of hacking and swatting.

One of the ugliest new trends to come out of the gaming community last year was <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/swatting>swatting. The act of reporting a fictional murder to try and get a SWAT team sent to the home of somebody you dislike, its occurrence has become an epidemic in recent months as <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137142-SWAT-Team-Raids-Livestreaming-Counter-Strike-Player-In-Swatting-Hoax>streamers and even <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138464-Bungie-Executive-Swatted-at-Home>game development executives have found themselves face-to-face with loaded guns as a result of cruel pranks. One of the most frustrating things about swatting however, has been the seemingly impervious nature of the people doing it. Faced with the vastness of the internet, law enforcement personnel have often been unable to bring the perpetrators of these dangerous crimes to justice.

There are exceptions, of course. Take the case of Brandon "Framed God" Wilson, a 19-year old man who was arrested last Thursday after police searched his home following an investigation that led them to suspect he might be involved in an Illinois swatting incident that took place in July 2014. In that incident, Wilson used a computer to contact the police department of Naperville, Illinois and report a supposed murder at a residence in the town. The Naperville Special Response Team moved in on the reported home in force but found no evidence of any crime.

Police authorities claim that Wilson was also involved in a hacking incident targeting two individuals from Illinois, one from Napervlle and another from the town of Plainfield. In those cases he apparently accessed their gaming consoles to obtain personal information belonging to their owners. He reportedly also contacted the Naperville victim and threatened to break into their bank account, steal their Social Security information and ruin their father's finances. Computers seized by police during their Thursday search of Wilson's home apparently contained evidence of his activities, including other swatting and hacking incidents in other places around the country.

Wilson is currently awaiting extradition to Illinois, after which he'll be tried for a variety of charges including computer tampering, computer fraud, identity theft, disorderly conduct and intimidation. If found guilty of these crimes he could face up to five years in prison. Other states including California, South Carolina, Texas and Nevada are also investigating Wilson, suspecting that he me might be connected to similar crimes within their own borders.

Source: <a href=http://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/7/71/350553/las-vegas-man-arrested-naperville-swatting-incident>Chicago Sun-Times

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
I hope he gets jailed for each charge he gets convicted of and has to serve the sentences consecutively, hopefully after a few examples are made this will stop.

Tatsuki

Nov 9, 2014
At first I thought 5 years was generous but it seems about right.
I can't imagine somebody like him lasting too well in a jail environment and hopefully it will do something to scare him straight.

I do like it when we take even baby steps in preventing people using internet anonymity to be a dick.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Five years in prison. You knew enough about computers to hack into someone's console. You could have gotten a good job and made something of yourself and now, at the age of nineteen, you face spending five years in an American prison.

I dunno. I suppose a lot of people are going to be shouting "Ha, good, fuck this guy!", but that's just not something I can take any joy out of. He might have ruined other people's lives and now he might have ruined his own, and he's not even twenty years old.

Sep 14, 2009
he could face "up to" five years?

fuck that, should be the minimum, doing such ignorant and selfish horseshit should not be tolerated, this isn't a blink of the moment reaction, this is pre-meditated bullshit to do to someone else.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
I would give him 5 years for that poor attempt at a beard alone.

Zefar

May 11, 2009
I suppose he isn't laughing anymore when the cops are knocking on his door.

As for 5 years. That seems to high imo. I'm sure people who have gotten others killed have gotten less. Or permanently disabled someone only getting like a year or two.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Eiv said:
I would give him 5 years for that poor attempt at a beard alone.
The "neckbeard" phenomenon is a remarkably easy one to explain. It comes from the position that the owner should not be inconvenienced in any way. See, hair on the cheek itches, especially when it's coming in, and once it's long enough not to itch, it's annoying and hot and gets in the way. Thus: shave it. Hair on the neck does not get in the way nearly as much, however, so it can just be trimmed once it reaches the point that it no longer itches. Add to this the fact that it is FAR more difficult to shave (much like that little bush on his upper lip), and the inconvenience-avoidance response kicks in and says "just trim it".

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Tatsuki said:
At first I thought 5 years was generous but it seems about right.
I can't imagine somebody like him lasting too well in a jail environment and hopefully it will do something to scare him straight.

I do like it when we take even baby steps in preventing people using internet anonymity to be a dick.
Pretty much this, if he get's convicted, have fun in prison pal.

Atleast we managed to catch one of the pricks who pull stupid shit like this.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Is it bad of me to say that the picture isn't surprising? Yeah, it probably is.

I agree that the more cases like this end up in serious repercussions the better. Troliing stops being funny long before you're putting peoples lives at risk.

Carrots_macduff

Jul 13, 2011
it depresses me when people are happy to see a kid go to jail, no matter what they did.

not saying he doesnt deserve it, but if you must send a 19 year old to prison, it should be done reluctantly, not with a smile on your face. plus, if you think its going to make him a better person, youre probably wrong.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Yup...that is surprisingly exactly what i'd have considered the average "swatter" or "swattist" to look like. Justice will be served with a fresh slice of neckbeard!

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
Extradition to Illinois for fraud, theft, and intimidation? Ladies and gentlemen of Illinois, I think we've found our next Mayor of Chicago. Or governnor...you know, once they kick out the honest guy they elect from time to time.

Sep 24, 2008
Carrots_macduff said:
it depresses me when people are happy to see a kid go to jail, no matter what they did.

not saying he doesnt deserve it, but if you must send a 19 year old to prison, it should be done reluctantly, not with a smile on your face. plus, if you think its going to make him a better person, youre probably wrong.
It's not about making him a better person. It's about crime and punishment. An "Oh, you!" response will make him think nothing is wrong, and there's literally nothing you can do to take away the ability to make this Criminal less dangerous as compared to taking away someone's ability to legally own a gun, or making sure a sex offender's neighborhood is aware that he is charged with such heinous tasks.

Some responses are supposed to be made drastically. As a societal animal, that's how Civilizations learns. Remember back in the early 90's? Remember Napster and Limewire and the rest? Remember the handful of arrest and bombastic fines attached to it? I'd say 80% of people I knew who were downloading illegally literally stopped overnight once they realized that it wasn't a game and there was actual cost.

Especially with the invincibility and untouchable idea of 'I'm just a kid, what are you going to do' that these late teenagers.. and in this case, a Legal Adult [https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=age%20of%20adulthood%20in%20the%20us]... operate with, it's time to cut this stupid practice in the bud because someone was literally going to die from this. It was just a matter of time.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
... Take the case of Brandon "Framed God" Wilson, a 19-year old man who was arrested last Thursday ...
Given the things he's done, shouldn't that read man baby, or man child?

Aetrion

May 19, 2012
People like this should be hit with the full force of the law, because what they are doing isn't motivated by any kind of need, this is done purely to harm someone, and that is just plain evil.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
gmaverick019 said:
he could face "up to" five years?

fuck that, should be the minimum, doing such ignorant and selfish horseshit should not be tolerated, this isn't a blink of the moment reaction, this is pre-meditated bullshit to do to someone else.
I agree that 5 years should be the minimum. Aside from the obvious fact that these false SWAT calls result in wasting the time of large numbers of emergency personnel that arrive at the call and have to sot everything out, you also have the wasted man hours tracking down the dumb fuck responsible, and the potential for someone to get killed because anytime a SWAT team gets involved, misunderstandings can escalate quickly. Breach a room and think you catch a glimpse of a weapon in the victims hand and he might find himself in the morgue before anyone knows what really happened.

visiblenoise

Jul 2, 2014
Rastien said:
That's no squatter it's a young jack black!
I hear you brave young Jables, you are hungry for the SWAT
but to learn the ancient methods, prison doors you must unlock