Swearing Actually a Sign of Intelligence, Suggests Brilliant F*cking Study

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
when i was a kid in a kidergarten i actually got punished for being the most foul-mouthed kid in the entire kindergarden. am i superintelligent now?

Also does that mean that sites like IMDB are literally causing their users to be dumb by utilizing a censor on swear [footnote]and non-swear, for example Stalin is not allowed. Good luck discussing WW2 documentaries without use of Hitler or Stalin[/footnote] words?

Leon Royce

Aug 22, 2014
Swearing shows low class and vulgarity. It shows that you are agitated inside.

Teenagers, rappers, dockworkers and the French like swearing.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
In the spirit of things, if any one needs a 'vocabulary booster', go watch Panty and Stocking you will learn all kinds of new words.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Wait, are you telling me that the ability to recall specific categories of words is correlated with overall vocabulary? Tell me it isn't true!

In all seriousness, this is just sad. The title of this article could be charitably described as "misleading", and more accurately described as click-bait (yes, I know how much people hate that word and I'll stop using it when it ceases to be true). The study shows that people who know more words overall also know more swear words, and doesn't suggest any link between how often people swear and their intelligence or vocabulary (as the title is designed to imply). In fact, according to the study the same thing can be said of animal names, and probably any other sub-category of words.

So, this is yet another study that prove something anyone with common sense could figure out that is being reported on as in-accurately as possible to generate clicks.
I know I'm supposed to be jovial about this due to the premise alone, but I just can't overlook how poor quality this article is, and how frequently such articles seem to appear around here. These are articles that aren't designed to be interesting content, but designed only to gleam a provocative title from.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Leon Royce said:

The best critique of a research article is definitely saying "NUH-UH!"

I'm glad this exists because the "swear words restrict your vocabulary" argument is stupid and something that my Dad says to me all the fucking time.

I'd definitely like to see a study following up on this which actually shows arelationship between fluency and frequency of swearing because that would be a much more definitive in addressing that argument. It does seem to show that there's nothing special about swear words, they're just words (as it pertains to vocabulary) which is something I'm glad to see.

It's reasonable to assume that regularly using a word means you're better able to recall it but it's also possible that the effect of having a strong taboo against a word would have the same (or an even greater) effect on your ability to recall it.

My guess is that people who never swear and people who swear very very frequently will have lower word fluency than people who swear commonly but not excessively.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
I should teach my child swears early so they could grow up to be a fucking genius.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
malnin said:
"fluency in swearing"

So just dropping fuck over and over does more to prove how unintelligent you are.
That's how I took it. I figured they mean that the more coherently you're able to weave your fucks with your cunts was a better indication than simply saying the word shitcock over and over and looking proud of yourself.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
K12 said:
Leon Royce said:

The best critique of a research article is definitely saying "NUH-UH!"

I'm glad this exists because the "swear words restrict your vocabulary" argument is stupid and something that my Dad says to me all the fucking time.

I'd definitely like to see a study following up on this which actually shows arelationship between fluency and frequency of swearing because that would be a much more definitive in addressing that argument. It does seem to show that there's nothing special about swear words, they're just words (as it pertains to vocabulary) which is something I'm glad to see.

It's reasonable to assume that regularly using a word means you're better able to recall it but it's also possible that the effect of having a strong taboo against a word would have the same (or an even greater) effect on your ability to recall it.

My guess is that people who never swear and people who swear very very frequently will have lower word fluency than people who swear commonly but not excessively.
It's an Escapist "research" article. It's misreporting the actual study, which speaks of fluency in swearing. It's not about frequency. You can click through the the abstract from the article, the "Highlights" section. It says that fluency in Taboo language (Here being perjoratives and slurs) correlates to general fluency, and correlates with neuroticism and openness from their "Big Five" personality traits. And it negatively correlated with agreeableness and conscientiousness.

In other words, the article is mistaken.

Going down further into the actual abstract (AKA, further than the Escapist is willing to go). Bear in mind, that I'm not a psychologist, sociologist, nor familiar with their terms, so I'm literally looking them up on the go, my field is Engineering.

The study does not say that it's a "sign of intelligence". It doesn't even correlate intelligence. Intelligence, IQ, and any other measures of intelligence, aren't mentioned at all. It does mention fluency, and vocabulary, not intelligence.

In fact, it highlights negative associations too, that people with a high fluency in swearing tend to be more anxious, fearful, moody, envious, frustrated, jealous or lonely, and that they have less concern for social harmony and get along less well with others, being generally less considerate, kind, generous, trusting and trustworthy. So the Escapist has actually misled many users here that this is all positives. You can check this yourself, it's the "Big Five" personality model, and it references that neuroticism and openness are positively correlated, while agreeableness and conscientiousness were negatively correlated (ie, there's an inverse correlation, greater fluency in swears correlates with less agreeableness and conscientiousness).

What the study does say is that their results agree with the "fluency is fluency" hypothesis. That fluency in language is fluency in language, however vulgar. Which supports your statement at least. Of course, the Escapist manages to mess up the reporting here as well. The actual abstract does not say anything about linguists, and it's not overturning some prior status, they mention the folk assumption that swearing indicates a low vocabulary. Also, I'm fairly sure that the fluency is fluency hypothesis isn't something they coined. Unfortunately, the well for googling that has been poisoned by lazy, irresponsible, unethical reporting. They've actually managed to bury real science here with this. It's hard enough as it is to use the internet to search scholarly sources.

The article also says that the study "failed to address" the relation between intelligence and the frequency of swearing, which is just inane. It has no bearing or relation on what they were looking at, and is just a rewording from the BPS article they sourced this from. If you look it up, there's a bunch of piss-poor (Ooooh look how smart I ams, a swears, doesn't that show I'm clever, unlike say, reading an abstract, which is to understanding research papers as toe-dipping is to swimming) "science journalism" and "pop science" articles, all of which are calling it an intelligence correlation, as opposed to a vocabulary fluency one (Also, the study says nothing about the effectiveness of communication, and given the personality correlations, that should be very much up in the air).

In fact, while Royce doesn't seem to have supported their statement, the actual study does support their statements, and it supports them better than the article.

As always, the best critique of a research article is reading the actual research, and the actual research says that the article is mistaken, and actually full of shit.

Again, I am an engineer. I had to look up every bit of jargon in the abstract, including the proper definitions of common terms as they pertain to their use in the literature. This took me about 10 minutes. For an abstract, that one's actually pretty readable. This is more effort than any of the publications that reported on this went to, including the Escapist. And it shows a sad trend-that people aren't willing to click through to even the abstract. They are interested in the veneer of science, not the science itself. They're interested in having their biases confirmed and engaging in the cargo cult of popular science, rather than actual science. Any enthusiast can do what I did, and tear through this, you just need to have the desire to do so, and, ironically enough, the vocabulary to comprehend the article, and the definitions you'll need to properly parse their meaning, which for all their swearing, the Escapist has not demonstrated.

Also, as for "proof" or anything else, nobody has mentioned study size, the correlation, the error bars, presumably because none of these publications have a subscription, and couldn't fork out $36 to access the paper. I'm not fucked to do that, my university might let me access it, but that's a waste of time. It's journalist's job to parse this stuff and give us the important bits, saving us having to buy the article, and here they have utterly failed.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Frequent swearing may be sign of intelligence. But bad grammar isn't ("our his"?)

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Loonyyy said:
snip (because that was long arse comment!
Thank you for offering a nice detailed deconstruction of a point I didn't make. Stating that a naked opinion is a terrible way of addressing or criticising an article doesn't mean I'm blanketly taking the article (or it's title) at face value. I don't think any part of my comment suggesting that I believed the research went further than supporting the "fluency is fluency" argument. I think this is a real "well duh" moment but Psychology research often gets that kind of response... except when it doesn't.

I generally find that saying "this science research is being misreported in this popular press article" is like pointing out that the article is organised into paragraphs. I think that science just doesn't fit the template that journalists use for "how to report news" as well as other subjects. At least the correct information is actually here (mostly), though with no critique and with some extra over-extrapolating parts... ("suggests" doesn't give you carte blanche).

I wished there was the personality information in there too because that's interesting too. Especially the positive correlation with Neuroticism since intelligence has a negative correlation with it, so that'd be an issue to look into if you wanted to relate sweatword fluency with intelligence later down the line.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
SKBPinkie said:
1ity 1ing 1in 1nuts.

Now.... where's my PhD?
Look closely. The average was 9, and you just have 1. You might think you have 4 but you just have the same one repeated with a bit of self censorship. Frig, Really? Ether you're trying to use the Goddess Frigga's name in vain, or it's self censorship of the F-Bomb you used 3 times.

How about putting yourself on a timer for 1 minute, and write down all the unique swear words, and then count them.

Interesting thing to note is that according to this study if someone used the F-Bomb as every word in a sentence they'd still be considered an idiot by this study. I'm actually shocked that 9 was the average, but not too shocked by animals. After all in French calling someone a "Dirty Cow" is one of the most offensive terms you can use.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
MarsAtlas said:
So instead of getting out babies to listen to Mozart they should be listening to George Carlin?

I'm on board with this.
I would also be fine with Bill Hicks, Sam Kinison or Billy Connolly as wonderful fucking alternatives.

OT: Now I feel obligated to watch a marathon of nothing but my favorite comedians. I am OK with this.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
JaredJones said:
-- but we've never had the goddamn evidence to back up ours, our his, claims.
I think you mean "or his"

OT: Let me correct one thing. Linguists as a whole have no issue with swear words what so ever. It's your mom or your teacher that spreads the idea that swearing is a sign of a lack on intelligence. Most modern linguists laugh at the idea that slang words, swear words, the possessive "be", things like that, actually represent a narrowing or worsening on language mastery. Your English teacher though, they don't teach linguistics, so they say stupid shit like, "swearing is a sign of poor intelligence" or that "you should speak properly".

The whole idea comes from the misconception that written language is somehow better than spoken language, it's the high form a language so you should seek to emulate it in your speech. This is quite wrong. Language stagnates when it has a written form. You know this to be true in your heart, which is why you want to punch a ************ in the face when they correct your use of "me", saying it should be "I".

More importantly, concepts like that were used to put people down, historically. For example, in France in about 1600, people spoke some form of French. Not too dissimilar to what is spoken today. But did you know that the written language was latin? You had to literally speak two very different language if you wanted to be considered upper class. At some point, it became acceptable to speak differently than you spoke in that part of the world. That was the best thing that could have happened. It's now extremely common for the spoken languages to be vastly different from the written form in many parts of the world that have both. Take Arabic for example: Arabic as it's written in the Koran is almost 100% liturgical. Meaning that the if you took some Arabic language, you would learn that, which would be almost useless in a huge part of the Arabic speaking world. You could never pass for one of them and communication would be messy and hard at absolute best.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Oh man, I had a good laugh reading this article...as well as some of the comments. To the guy who posted the clip of the Scotsman from Samurai Jack, thank you so much, that brought back so many good memories.

Anyway, I guess this means all those kids on CoD are really, really smart...oh, wait, a variety of curse words. Those pre-pubescent, mouth-breathing, squeaking, fuck-tards use the word 'fuck' like it's a goddamn comma, so I guess that means they're out.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
I guess I should spend more time in my car. I swear constantly when subjected to my neighborhood's horrible road system.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
K12 said:
Loonyyy said:
snip (because that was long arse comment!
Thank you for offering a nice detailed deconstruction of a point I didn't make. Stating that a naked opinion is a terrible way of addressing or criticising an article doesn't mean I'm blanketly taking the article (or it's title) at face value. I don't think any part of my comment suggesting that I believed the research went further than supporting the "fluency is fluency" argument. I think this is a real "well duh" moment but Psychology research often gets that kind of response... except when it doesn't.

I generally find that saying "this science research is being misreported in this popular press article" is like pointing out that the article is organised into paragraphs. I think that science just doesn't fit the template that journalists use for "how to report news" as well as other subjects. At least the correct information is actually here (mostly), though with no critique and with some extra over-extrapolating parts... ("suggests" doesn't give you carte blanche).

I wished there was the personality information in there too because that's interesting too. Especially the positive correlation with Neuroticism since intelligence has a negative correlation with it, so that'd be an issue to look into if you wanted to relate sweatword fluency with intelligence later down the line.
Yeah, sorry, I got a bit off tangent ranting at the article. Wasn't particularly fair to lead it off on a quote to you, and I did bury the lede in what I was trying to get across to you, because to discuss the actual science here, you have to discuss the source, which brings up exactly how wrong the Escapist article is.

I'm not trying to have a go at you specifically, but (And I don't think that Royce read the abstract either, I'm not letting them off the hook), the research actually does support their point, and any sort of dismissal of The Escapist's science reporting is, based on their history, more likely than not to be the way to go. Nearly every one of their reports misrepresents some engineer's toy, a study, a report, to put it under the most clickbaity headline imaginable. "Plasma Railguns" that shoot aluminium. "Alien DNA" that is just an unexpected degree of horizontal DNA transfer. "Swearing is a sign of intelligence" that is actually swearing is correlated with a larger vocabulary, and undesirable personality traits. And even an article on Nuclear Fusion energy that served to demonise it.

That last one is reprehensible on a level above even the usual. Nuclear power very often has a large amount of scienctific misinformation surrounding it, which has made it as a political issue, very difficult, which presents very real issues for the human race as a whole. Nuclear Fusion, while to many scientifically literate folks, a bit of a pipe dream (It's been 15 years away for about 30 years, watching the old educational videos on it is very funny) has a very real potential to do amazing things for humanity. And the background reading for that seemed to be, I shit you not, Spiderman 2.

And it's clear from your comment that you didn't read the abstract either, so it's really not good form to attack someone else for dismissing the article. Yeah, they didn't support their statement. So I did. Because someone needs to point this stuff out. Some of us actually do care about science, and this is to science, as Buffalo Bill is to women.

I don't think that science reporting is easy. It's not. It requires some knowledge of a vast number of fields. I mentioned that this abstract was easy. Very frequently, even abstracts are hard for laypeople to understand. Anyone who's done a literature review for a thesis will tell you how draining reading papers can be. It requires more training than just journalism, or worse, blogging. I would really like to see good, informative science reporting, because this stuff is fascinating. It really is interesting stuff, it doesn't need spicing up. Like, this study, and I can't verify the usefulness of the study, because their data analysis is behind a paywall, correlates fluency in cursing with personality traits that are undesirable, but also with vocabulary in general. That's really significant! It's not even people who curse more, people with a higher vocabulary in swearing. The test was asking them to write down as many swear words as they could, and say as many as they could, along with several other categories, in small time frames.

freaper said:
Loonyyy said:
I solely read articles like these just for these kinds of comments.

Thanks for doing the leg work!
Thanks, it's usually a thankless job, but not today. I'll make sure I keep doing it.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Baresark said:
JaredJones said:
-- but we've never had the goddamn evidence to back up ours, our his, claims.
I think you mean "or his"

OT: Let me correct one thing. Linguists as a whole have no issue with swear words what so ever. It's your mom or your teacher that spreads the idea that swearing is a sign of a lack on intelligence. Most modern linguists laugh at the idea that slang words, swear words, the possessive "be", things like that, actually represent a narrowing or worsening on language mastery. Your English teacher though, they don't teach linguistics, so they say stupid shit like, "swearing is a sign of poor intelligence" or that "you should speak properly".

The whole idea comes from the misconception that written language is somehow better than spoken language, it's the high form a language so you should seek to emulate it in your speech. This is quite wrong. Language stagnates when it has a written form. You know this to be true in your heart, which is why you want to punch a ************ in the face when they correct your use of "me", saying it should be "I".

More importantly, concepts like that were used to put people down, historically. For example, in France in about 1600, people spoke some form of French. Not too dissimilar to what is spoken today. But did you know that the written language was latin? You had to literally speak two very different language if you wanted to be considered upper class. At some point, it became acceptable to speak differently than you spoke in that part of the world. That was the best thing that could have happened. It's now extremely common for the spoken languages to be vastly different from the written form in many parts of the world that have both. Take Arabic for example: Arabic as it's written in the Koran is almost 100% liturgical. Meaning that the if you took some Arabic language, you would learn that, which would be almost useless in a huge part of the Arabic speaking world. You could never pass for one of them and communication would be messy and hard at absolute best.
Sounds like you have more of a background in linguistics. Quick question, since I couldn't find it, the "Fluency is fluency" concept, that's not a new one is it? I'm fairly sure I've heard stuff to this effect, in particular the relationship between learning multiple languages, learning to read music, etc, enhancing vocabulary and literacy. And the phrase rings a bell, although at the moment, the google results are flooded with articles exactly like this one. Yay. Clicks.

Also, the suggestion that the findings of the study run counter to linguistic experts seems to be based on rewording part of the abstract, mentioned in the BPS article too (The BPS article is much better than this one, but both just skim the abstract). The authors of the study refer to the folk belief that swearing indicates a small vocabulary, which The Escapist has reworded to Galileo it up.