Sweden Formally Recognizes Piracy as Religion

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Bah, next thing you know they'll be founding a "church" based on whatever fiction some strung-out pulp SF author couldn't get his editor to accept.

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
Jedi forming a real world 'religion' was humorous.

Pastafarianism was just stupid.

This...

I'll just let Mr. Jones do the talking on this...

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
At least in the US and Commonwealth Nations, only "nonprofit educational purposes" get a free ride. As a lot of religious organization have found out the hard way "nonprofit religious purposes" is not except able in court, and often lose infringement cases.

3AM

Oct 21, 2010
CapitalistPig said:
Wow that could be game, set, match. But im fuzzy on what happens if your church breaks serious laws "in the name of god." so to speak. I mean its not like christians (or any religion) can smuggle guns, or drugs. So if your breaking international felonious laws what happens? Oh and dont drink their kool aid. We cant write them off as a cult yet. :p
In the US religions still have to obey the laws of the land, which is why religious zealots are fighting so hard to get religious laws on the books, like pro-life, school prayer, etc. Polygamists may be following their religion but if caught they are prosecuted. Same as with those Amish men in Ohio who were attacking other Amish men and forcibly shaving off their beards because they weren't "the right kind of" Amish enough - they were arrested for hate crimes and will be tried.

OT: This just proves what I've always thought: religions are silly (though sometimes cute).

CapitalistPig

Dec 3, 2011
3AM said:
CapitalistPig said:
Wow that could be game, set, match. But im fuzzy on what happens if your church breaks serious laws "in the name of god." so to speak. I mean its not like christians (or any religion) can smuggle guns, or drugs. So if your breaking international felonious laws what happens? Oh and dont drink their kool aid. We cant write them off as a cult yet. :p
In the US religions still have to obey the laws of the land, which is why religious zealots are fighting so hard to get religious laws on the books, like pro-life, school prayer, etc. Polygamists may be following their religion but if caught they are prosecuted. Same as with those Amish men in Ohio who were attacking other Amish men and forcibly shaving off their beards because they weren't "the right kind of" Amish enough - they were arrested for hate crimes and will be tried.

OT: This just proves what I've always thought: religions are silly (though sometimes cute).
True but this isn't the U.S they could actually influence their country to gain more freedoms then are allowed in (my) our country. I dont really approve because frankly i think this misuse of "faith" is why our generation ends up looking down on religion so much. Religion is a mechanism for culture and coping during hard times and if people use if for political means then well, were no better then the rest.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
CapitalistPig said:
3AM said:
CapitalistPig said:

True but this isn't the U.S they could actually influence their country to gain more freedoms then are allowed in (my) our country. I dont really approve because frankly i think this misuse of "faith" is why our generation ends up looking down on religion so much. Religion is a mechanism for culture and coping during hard times and if people use if for political means then well, were no better then the rest.
Im going to quote myself on this:

"There is no way our Supreme court will agree that all information should be free, since then it would become a national security problem since anyone would be able to "convert" and then the government would not be allowed to listen on their activies online which would mean that people just need to use ip phones since that would be information, and the fact that blueprints for bombs and such would be open for the public since they could just say thats information and its sacred for them to share it. same with military secrets and blueprints for all the houses, and credit cards numbers (also information) and such things"

So TD:LR there is no way our supreme court will remove a couple of laws and place a new one that would make it illegal for our government to restrict any information at all.

And btw Swedish law stands above religion, priests have been fined and Im quite certain one was jailed for spreading hatespeech against gays in their preaches

CapitalistPig

Dec 3, 2011
Tubez said:
True. i mean obviously the supreme court wont approve anything like that. But thats not what either of our quotes were about. This isnt about the U.S its about Sweden where the world is vastly different. They COULD sanction something like this. while it won't matter in the U.S it could matter in the E.U.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
CapitalistPig said:
Tubez said:
True. i mean obviously the supreme court wont approve anything like that. But thats not what either of our quotes were about. This isnt about the U.S its about Sweden where the world is vastly different. They COULD sanction something like this. while it won't matter in the U.S it could matter in the E.U.
I guess I should have written MY Supreme court aka Högsta Domstolen.

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
This has got to simply be a political move. There's no way that they actually beleive this.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Well if they'll let me pray for the death of Electronic Arts I guess they can sign me up!

3AM

Oct 21, 2010
CapitalistPig said:
3AM said:
CapitalistPig said:

True but this isn't the U.S they could actually influence their country to gain more freedoms then are allowed in (my) our country. I dont really approve because frankly i think this misuse of "faith" is why our generation ends up looking down on religion so much. Religion is a mechanism for culture and coping during hard times and if people use if for political
means then well, were no better then the rest.
I agree with you. Not about Swedish law - I'm ignorant of those though I always thought of Sweden as a more progressive country than the US - but about using religion for political ends. It pisses me off and scares me.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
3AM said:
CapitalistPig said:
3AM said:
CapitalistPig said:

True but this isn't the U.S they could actually influence their country to gain more freedoms then are allowed in (my) our country. I dont really approve because frankly i think this misuse of "faith" is why our generation ends up looking down on religion so much. Religion is a mechanism for culture and coping during hard times and if people use if for political
means then well, were no better then the rest.
I agree with you. Not about Swedish law - I'm ignorant of those though I always thought of Sweden as a more progressive country than the US - but about using religion for political ends. It pisses me off and scares me.
The thing is this will not affect our laws at all, since our religions need to obey our laws.

So I guess this is most likely only a way for him to raise attention to piracy/filesharing I guess.. or he is a very good troll.

CapitalistPig

Dec 3, 2011
3AM said:
yea im with you there. its very reminiscent of days gone by when martin luther nailed his 99 thesis's to a church door (which was a good thing.) I mean misuse of religion is pretty much one of the worst routes to go to make a point valid. You win no kudos points and everyone resents you. worse, you gain power and people actually believe in you and then you must provide. It all ends bad down this road.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
"religion" might be pushing it, but Information Cults are an established part of science fiction, so it doesn't entirely surprise me that they will eventually crop up in real life as technology advances.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
Personally, I think this is kinda awesome :p
Sure, it's more or less a publicity stunt, but a funny one nonetheless.

DoctorSun

Dec 11, 2011
...What? I think I may have read this wrong. Seriously, this is utterly ridiculous. I'm going to The United States Congress and getting the religion of baking cakes recognized.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
At least they'll have a few weeks of legally sanctioned behaviour before SOPA starts up. Is that like their Armageddon?