Sweden Formally Recognizes Piracy as Religion

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Does this mean I can make a religion based on Ben Folds?

I love me some Ben Folds...

Furyaki12

Jul 20, 2009
DoctorSun said:
...What? I think I may have read this wrong. Seriously, this is utterly ridiculous. I'm going to The United States Congress and getting the religion of baking cakes recognized.
Please keep us updated on your progress - I'm down for consuming the sweet flesh and chocolate-syrupy blood of our Caked Savior.

OT: Thou shalt not immediately close your window after your download is complete.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
This has to be one of the most ridiculous things I've heard in the last year.

Rhaff

Jan 30, 2011
gigastrike said:
This has got to simply be a political move. There's no way that they actually beleive this.
Of course its a political move. Its designed to create hype, since the pirate party, in both Sweden and Denmark, has lost a lot of its political momentum lately. They know that it wont give them anything in the long run except some publicity, since in all Scandinavian and European countries the law always overrules any religious tenet that breaks said law.

Aug 1, 2010
Greatest. Trolls. EVER.

Seriously, this is just fantastic. I can just imagine a church meeting...

"And lo did the great Torrent step forth from nothing. And the great Torrent said "Let there be a Bay of Pirates!" and it was so."

I now feel an inescapable need to move to Sweden.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
3AM said:
I agree with you. Not about Swedish law - I'm ignorant of those though I always thought of Sweden as a more progressive country than the US - but about using religion for political ends. It pisses me off and scares me.
So if a law currently being proposed runs contrary to your religious beliefs, you can't attempt to justify those beliefs using your religion, despite it ostensibly being the basis of your moral compass?

Considering that religions often feature a heavy dose of "do this, don't do that", it's natural that they'd come into conflict with the law of a land that takes a different view. The strongly religious are often so deeply influenced by the tenets of their faith (or more likely, their own personal interpretation of the tenets of their faith) that they can't not use religion in a political fashion, because it's the basis of their political opinions. I'm not saying I like it, but I do understand that for many people their political views are directly descended from their religious beliefs; anti-abortionists, anti-gay marriage campaigners and so on.

How can they avoid using their religion in a political fashion when their politics are religious? It's a bad thing that people do it, but it's also an unavoidable thing.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Wait I think i get it... I do not think it is so much a "Religion" as it is a Fail-safe against SOPA! Is SOPA goes through they might be able to get exempted from it. Meaning any website can join them making SOPA useless against them!

Very slim chance of that actually working..... But yeah that might be one of the craziest things I have seen to combat SOPA. But hey. So crazy it might just work!

And if I am wrong and this is actually legit... Well... What else do you expect from a neutral country like Sweden?

Bealzibob

Jul 4, 2009
poiumty said:
That is just a bit silly. But maybe in 2000 years people will believe that Uploader made the universe come into being, and his son Seeder Christ cleansed the world of all its sins.

That would be pretty kickass.
A better creation story might be; first there was one. His imagination and his knowledge was great and he created the atom. Content with his creation he begun to copy and reinvent his creation. He looks down at his torrent of data and he call it the Universe. Lonely he copied himself so that someone could witness his great creations. His clone too copied and remixed himself and over time the great web of life and knowledge spread to the farthest reachs of reality.

All that life was torrented from the Heaven.net or something. Lots of room for theology actually.

OT: This is cool and I'll probably add it to my list of amusing religions that I can call wavering loyalty towards.

AnarchistAbe

The Original RageQuit Rebel
Sep 10, 2009
Worgen said:
It makes more sense then religions that seem to be based around hating on the gays or whatever most of the ones around here are since their main tenant seems to be "gays bad".
If you can name me ONE religion that (at its core tenants) states that "gays are bad", please tell me what it is. Go ahead, try.

PEOPLE are the ones who contort the meanings behind the words and form bigoted opinions based on blind "faith". At their core, I don't believe there is one religion that says "hate the gays".

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
AnarchistAbe said:
Worgen said:
It makes more sense then religions that seem to be based around hating on the gays or whatever most of the ones around here are since their main tenant seems to be "gays bad".
If you can name me ONE religion that (at its core tenants) states that "gays are bad", please tell me what it is. Go ahead, try.

PEOPLE are the ones who contort the meanings behind the words and form bigoted opinions based on blind "faith". At their core, I don't believe there is one religion that says "hate the gays".
Well people make the religion and while I know that gays are actually hardly mentioned in the bible aside from a few parts and that pillar of compassion and understanding known as leviticus, one could be understandably forgiven for assuming that hating gays is one of christianities main tenants considering how much the louder and stupider members of said religion like to yell about them and blame them for disasters.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Dammit, now I can't choose between Piracy or Jedi as a religion.

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
I think people are reading WAY too much into this. They probably don't have a political goal or some kind of conspiracy reason for creating a religion. They're just doing it for the lulz.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Yay and God said to the Pirates, "Gather ye close thine files and spread forth thine seed with great vigor upon the men and the women, the children and the old, so that thine peers mayst gather seed of their own and enjoy thine fruit in its ripeness."

Helloo

Jan 6, 2012
And I presume this song is their Holy Gospel; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBoOLR7WoN8

I can't tell if they did it because they were bored one Friday afternoon and thought "Why the hell not" or because they wanted to prove a point against religion in general, but it's a massive PHAIL for the Swedish government.

Political correctness where anyone and anything is welcomed and accepted gone too far.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Helloo said:
And I presume this song is their Holy Gospel; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBoOLR7WoN8

I can't tell if they did it because they were bored one Friday afternoon and thought "Why the hell not" or because they wanted to prove a point against religion in general, but it's a massive PHAIL for the Swedish government.

Political correctness where anyone and anything is welcomed and accepted gone too far.
Why is there such a fail for swedish government for not discriminating against a religion?

AnarchistAbe

The Original RageQuit Rebel
Sep 10, 2009
Worgen said:
AnarchistAbe said:
Worgen said:

Well people make the religion and while I know that gays are actually hardly mentioned in the bible aside from a few parts and that pillar of compassion and understanding known as leviticus, one could be understandably forgiven for assuming that hating gays is one of christianities main tenants considering how much the louder and stupider members of said religion like to yell about them and blame them for disasters.
That, I will agree with. The overzealous minority strikes again! lol