Sweden: Piracy Is Not A Religion

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Honestly I'm wish Sweden, piracy is a great way to harm the market and trying to pass it off as a religion is just desperation. Keep going Sweden!

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
If they make it, say goodbye to the Swedish developers! They're the ones who will suffer the most from this piracy nonsense.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Well, those dedicated to the religion do spend hours in supplication to their altar, in a prayer-giving pose. They commune with each other and with their spirits, whom you cannot hear from, talk to, or see without the proper channels and connections, they have leaders, heroes, and followers, men and women among the many who are willing to spread the word, and unbelievers, who would challenge their beliefs and decry them as wrong, so that their way of one-product-one-person should always be so. They even have a form of wrongdoing within the structure of the religion, in that those who would leech without seeding are abusing the system, taking it ways that it was never meant to go, for selfish reasons rather than spreading the faith to as many as possible.

What makes them any different from any other religion, any other theist movement? They are the mimic of every religion, on the basis that these are the tenants that make up a religion. Fascinating, really. The deities of P2P filesharing, of Stumble, of Reddit--these are not the gods of our fathers, but a new group of deities for us. Perhaps we will spin tales to our children of the fall of Meme, the almighty Imgur, or of the Heroic Mod who single-hammeredly cleansed the forum of the terrible Trolls, making the chat safe for all! This is just another, as there has been from the beginnings of our time, a changing of the guard.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
Is it intellectually credible?
Is it existentially satisfying?
If the answer is anything other than yes and yes, then there is no point in believing such a thing.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Why the ruse why not just come out and say you worship the gods of trolling and be done with it. Clearly expending this much energy on a bad joke means that you have a fanatical devotion to your trolling so why not?

Here's a reason Sweden can deny you: Your religious core is an illegal act. If murder were a ceremony in a religion you can bet the police would be frowning on that religion, the same here. The government is not going to official recognize a religion that violates secular law. That would wind-up as an enormous loophole in legal control since anyone could do anything by filling forms to create a new religion around it.

(On a side note: Fuck you pirates. I want to make a living off of coding not work for charity because assholes stole my work or made my job profit-less. Fuck your disrespect of personal property and ownership. You can have your opinions on piracy, but I'm going to express mine too: No.)

nyysjan

Mar 12, 2010
prolefeedprocessor said:
The intent of making it a legally-recognized religion isn't to be able to share files legally. It's to protect the file-sharing facilitators ("priests") from having to turn over records, thus making file-sharing far more difficult to prosecute.
Wich is no reason to deny their status as a religion, but for removing privileges from all religions.
prolefeedprocessor said:
It's like how Catholic priests are shielded from having to report crimes told to them in confessional.
My point made.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Man I love being a Swede!
I don't really condone piracy, but no matter what your opinion of it is, that's freaking cool!

Varrdy

Feb 25, 2010
Oh what a surprise! People using / trying to use religion as an excuse to be cockends!

Wardy