VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
Nintendo announced details on its online service for the Switch yesterday:

https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

What do you think?

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
i think it's ok. the price for what you got is nice. anyway since the launch, nintendo said that online would be around 20$ and now they adding cloud saving and 20 free nes games instead of one for a month, for the same price...

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Can someone quote it or something? I have no access to other gaming websites on daytime.

bobdark

Legacy
Apr 7, 2008
Launching September 2018
Nintendo Switch Online is a paid service that gives members access to online play in compatible games, a selection of NES? games, extra features for the Nintendo Switch Online smartphone app, and more.

Battle it out or cooperate with players around the world in compatible games like Splatoon? 2, ARMS?, Mario Kart? 8 Deluxe, Mario Tennis? Aces, and Sushi Striker?: The Way of Sushido.

Nintendo Entertainment System? ? Nintendo Switch Online
Enjoy 20 NES games with added online play for the first time ever, and more games added regularly.

Save Data Cloud Backup
Save your data online for easy access. Details about this feature will be available before the paid service launches in September.

Nintendo Switch Online app
Enhance your online experience for compatible games with this smartphone app.*

Special Offers
Stay tuned for news on special deals and offers for members.

Online play in compatible games and the Nintendo Switch Online smartphone app are free until the paid Nintendo Switch Online service launches in September 2018.

Pricing Plans
Individual Membership
1 Month
$3.99 USD

3 Months
$7.99 USD

12 Months
$19.99 USD
Family Membership
12 Months
$34.99 USD

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Sounds good; the NES titles being included with added features are also neat, with more to come. If they end up expanding that library and turning it effectively into Nintendo Netflix that could end up being the great deal in the history of gaming

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
bobdark said:
Launching September 2018
Nintendo Switch Online is a paid service that gives members access to online play in compatible games, a selection of NES? games, extra features for the Nintendo Switch Online smartphone app, and more.

Battle it out or cooperate with players around the world in compatible games like Splatoon? 2, ARMS?, Mario Kart? 8 Deluxe, Mario Tennis? Aces, and Sushi Striker?: The Way of Sushido.

Nintendo Entertainment System? ? Nintendo Switch Online
Enjoy 20 NES games with added online play for the first time ever, and more games added regularly.

Save Data Cloud Backup
Save your data online for easy access. Details about this feature will be available before the paid service launches in September.

Nintendo Switch Online app
Enhance your online experience for compatible games with this smartphone app.*

Special Offers
Stay tuned for news on special deals and offers for members.

Online play in compatible games and the Nintendo Switch Online smartphone app are free until the paid Nintendo Switch Online service launches in September 2018.

Pricing Plans
Individual Membership
1 Month
$3.99 USD

3 Months
$7.99 USD

12 Months
$19.99 USD
Family Membership
12 Months
$34.99 USD
i will add two things to that : the Family mambership can link togheter up to 8 account, and with one membership all 8 account have access to online services. However it's not clear if all 8 account must be on the same switch, or at the same address. If it's not the case, you could form a 8 member "family" with anybody you found online and divide the cost by 8...

Also cloud saving. On the french canadian version of the Nintendo online services page it's said "Sauvegardez vos donn?es en ligne pour y acc?der facilement. (Disponible pour certains jeux.)". Translate that by Save your data online for easy access (Available for certain games).

The Nintendo France online service page also say the same thing: "Enregistrez les donn?es de sauvegarde de votre console en toute s?curit? dans le cloud. Remarque : cette fonction n'est pas compatible avec tous les logiciels" Which is translate by : Save your saves data in security on the cloud. Note that function is not available for all softwares.

So i think Nintendo will put a limit on the size of a save file. So a game that use big save data (i'm looking at you NBA 2K18) mayube not be able to put a save file into the cloud...

Sep 24, 2008
Ok, I keep reading it and I'm not sure.

The "free" nes games. How does that work? Is it a one time purchase thing ("I got an one year subscription and they gave me these free games forever from that purchase") or is it a "as long as you have a subscription, you have access to these games"

Because if it's the latter (which I believe)... Fuck you, Nintendo. I was proud to see you come back to form. I was afraid you were going to do this, and you did.

I don't want to be tethered to your stupid service. I just want to pay you for games and always have access to them. If I'm not online to check if my subscription is current, does that mean I can't play these games? Like if I go away to a hotel and I don't want to use the hotel wifi, does that mean I can not play those games since there's no online connection? I want clearer and better details so I can start raging appropriately if necessary.

By the way, Never use the hotel Wifi [https://www.zdnet.com/article/hackers-are-using-hotel-wi-fi-to-spy-on-guests-steal-data/]. Ever.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Not sure how I feel about Nintendo putting online play behind a paywall. I knew it was coming and I understand why they'd do it, but it's not pleasant knowing people will have to start paying for something that was offered for free before, even though it won't personally affect me much.

Also, Switch Virtual Console. Get on that, Ninty. Add GBA and Gamecube titles too, while you're at it, please.
[small]And maybe blackjack and hookers too, but that's optional[/small]

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Chimpzy said:
Also, Switch Virtual Console.
Virtual Console is dead. they have literally said "There are no plans to offer the virtual console service."

the old games will be added via the online subscription starting with NES games it seems.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
ObsidianJones said:
Ok, I keep reading it and I'm not sure.

The "free" nes games. How does that work? Is it a one time purchase thing ("I got an one year subscription and they gave me these free games forever from that purchase") or is it a "as long as you have a subscription, you have access to these games"

Because if it's the latter (which I believe)... Fuck you, Nintendo. I was proud to see you come back to form. I was afraid you were going to do this, and you did.

I don't want to be tethered to your stupid service. I just want to pay you for games and always have access to them. If I'm not online to check if my subscription is current, does that mean I can't play these games? Like if I go away to a hotel and I don't want to use the hotel wifi, does that mean I can not play those games since there's no online connection? I want clearer and better details so I can start raging appropriately if necessary.

By the way, Never use the hotel Wifi [https://www.zdnet.com/article/hackers-are-using-hotel-wi-fi-to-spy-on-guests-steal-data/]. Ever.
Since they seem to be running the same basic model as PSPlus (although cheaper (granted, PSplus includes some TV stuff and Spotify as well)), I'd guess you need a subscription for the free games to continue working (or any game in which you've gotten a service-based discount).

Following in that vein, if hey do the same method Sony does, it doesn't check online for your subscription confirmation. Its stored in the game data somewhere as a license date. So it works offline up until that date that your subscription was supposed to expire.

Can't say I'm particularly enthused about them joining in on dumping their forward porting into the subscription style. They aren't doing the PSNow weird streaming junk that (to my experience) works poorly at best, but its still kind of nuisance to bot just buy the game.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Yoshi178 said:
Chimpzy said:
Virtual Console is dead. they have literally said "There are no plans to offer the virtual console service."

the old games will be added via the online subscription starting with NES games it seems.
Hmm, I was not aware of that. That's unfortunate. I'm not fond of online subscription services for games.

[small]Also, apparently quote notifications are buggered again. As are everyon's avatars it seems[/small]

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Chimpzy said:
Yoshi178 said:
Chimpzy said:

Hmm, I was not aware of that. That's unfortunate. I'm not fond of online subscription services for games.

[small]Also, apparently quote notifications are buggered again. As are everyon's avatars it seems[/small]
to be fair the subscription is just to play NES games online.

it's also to play new games like splatoon and smash bros online as well as provide cloud back up saving.

Switch online definitely isn't anything to get excited over. but considering that PSN and Xbox Live cost more than double what Nintendo's charging, i feel the price Nintendo is charging for the service is only fair and it will only improve over the course of time with more NES games and potentially also SNES and N64 games being added to the service as well.

Mothro

Jun 10, 2017
Yoshi178 said:
Chimpzy said:
Yoshi178 said:
Chimpzy said:

it's also to play new games like splatoon and smash bros online as well as provide cloud back up saving.

Switch online definitely isn't anything to get excited over. but considering that PSN and Xbox Live cost more than double what Nintendo's charging, i feel the price Nintendo is charging for the service is only fair and it will only improve over the course of time with more NES games and potentially also SNES and N64 games being added to the service as well.
Remember when Nintendo added Wii games to the Wii U? Strong start and then they just sort of dropped it? Same thing happened with SNES games on the New 3DS.

So thinking it will improve over time doesn't really follow. I think it's a bad idea to compare Xbox Live and PSN to Nintendo's online service since those two services aren't offering 30 year old games, the games they are offering are much much newer. Also, they don't need a smartphone for voice chat. You would be better off avoiding that comparison altogether.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Mothro said:
Yoshi178 said:
Chimpzy said:
Yoshi178 said:
Chimpzy said:

Remember when Nintendo added Wii games to the Wii U? Strong start and then they just sort of dropped it? Same thing happened with SNES games on the New 3DS.

So thinking it will improve over time doesn't really follow. I think it's a bad idea to compare Xbox Live and PSN to Nintendo's online service since those two services aren't offering 30 year old games, the games they are offering are much much newer. Also, they don't need a smartphone for voice chat. You would be better off avoiding that comparison altogether.
PSN (I haven't had an Xbox Live account for years) lets you keep those games forever as well. Don't the Nintendo free games go away when they rotate out of the line up? Also, the age and quality of the games is a big difference like you said. The necessity of a phone app because the Switch can't handle chat is a hassle and kind of sad with the current available tech.

Playstation 4 games free on PSN averages in 2017 said:
75.4 Metacritic average, 1.7 years old, $21.87 per title[footnote]https://www.polygon.com/2017/12/2/16727700/playstation-plus-free-games-2017-value-analysis[/footnote]

Mothro

Jun 10, 2017
Avnger said:
Mothro said:
Yoshi178 said:
Chimpzy said:
Yoshi178 said:
Chimpzy said:

Don't the Nintendo free games go away when they rotate out of the line up?
Nintendo hasn't been clear about that and I'm sure it's because the news is not positive. Nintendo being needlessly vague usually results in bad news.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Mothro said:

1. 3DS was not a paid online subscription like Nintendo Switch's is

2. Nintendo did expand the library vastly of both the Wii and Wii U consoles and the virtual consoles did become much better over time

3. Sony also had absolute shit online when they first started with PSN. guess what? they started charging for it and over time Sony made the service better and better. Why? obviously because they want people to keep paying for the service.

Why would Nintendo not want to do the same thing with their online? Hell Nintendo's already making a good start by offering those Family subscriptions so you can play online with up to 8 linked accounts. i don't see Sony or MS offering something like that yet.

4. Why shouldn't i compare Nintendo's Online service to PSN and Xbox Live? Nintendo is a direct competitor and like you said, the games Nintendo is offering at the moment might not be modern, but PSN and Xbox live are also nearly triple the price of what Nintendo is charging.

i didn't call Nintendo's service amazing. i said it was FAIR. that does not imply anything to suggest that Nintendo has the best service. at the moment Nintendo is offering the bare minimum yes but the price they're charging is fair currently imo.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
The Switch is also still fairly new, and only starting to build up a sizable library. They'd deplete it pretty fast shelling out half a dozen titles as freebies each month.

PSN and XBL (I'm assuming) do hand out a newer game occasionally (Rocket League came out as a free game on PSN), but usually they're burrowing significantly into the back catalog for the things.