Switch Online Service.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Hmm. Uh huh. Yeah? Oh, I see. Hmmm...

So, a quick run down:
* I don't get to keep any of the 'free' games they're 'giving' me.
* The plan doesn't seem to include any real, meaningful community features.
* The Virtual Console is dead.
* I'll still have to rely on those fucking Friend Codes.
* No way to directly message friends, or even interact in any meaningful way.
* I'll still have to use that bafflingly stupid mobile app bullshit to get any sort of voice chat going in online games.
* I have to pay $20 for this shit.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Vigormortis said:

So, a quick run down:
* I'll still have to use that bafflingly stupid mobile app bullshit to get any sort of voice chat going in online games.

Don't forget they're putting back-up saves behind paywalls.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Vigormortis said:
So, a quick run down:
You don't to keep any of the 'free' games that Sony or Micrsoft give you either lol.

Mothro

Jun 10, 2017
Yoshi178 said:
Vigormortis said:
So, a quick run down:
You don't to keep any of the 'free' games that Sony or Micrsoft give you either lol.
Well actually you're wrong. You get to keep 360 games that you get from Live Gold and I have to tell you that 360 games are a little newer than NES games.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Mothro said:
Yoshi178 said:
Vigormortis said:
So, a quick run down:
Well actually you're wrong. You get to keep 360 games that you get from Live Gold and I have to tell you that 360 games are a little newer than NES games.
Well actually, they don't even make 360 games anymore do they?

its also a silly comparison. well Wii didn't force me to pay for online like 360 did!

the point is on Xbox live NOW they don't let you keep those "free" games anymore.

Mothro

Jun 10, 2017
Yoshi178 said:
Mothro said:
Yoshi178 said:
Vigormortis said:
So, a quick run down:

its also a silly comparison. well Wii didn't force me to pay for online like 360 did!

the point is on Xbox live NOW they don't let you keep those "free" games anymore.
They still let you keep 360 games that you get through Live Gold. This month you get two 360 games: Sega Vintage Collection: Streets of Rage and Vanquish. https://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/games-with-gold

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Mothro said:
Yoshi178 said:
Mothro said:
Yoshi178 said:
Vigormortis said:
So, a quick run down:

They still let you keep 360 games that you get through Live Gold. This month you get two 360 games: Sega Vintage Collection: Streets of Rage and Vanquish. https://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/games-with-gold
yeah but only if you pay the online fee n the first place. those games aren't free at all.
i'd rather completely have free online play than free old games like i still get with Wii U.

Xbox isn't letting you keep the games with gold on Xbox One anymore at all and the subsription costs nearly triple what Nintendo Switch's online does.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Vigormortis said:

So, a quick run down:

Alright then, bye Felicia. Just don't loiter in the lobby yelling.

Yoshi178 said:

According to the web page for "Games with Gold" they let you keep them...just not play them. Which kind of defeats the purpose

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Aiddon said:
Vigormortis said:

So, a quick run down:

Alright then, bye Felicia. Just don't loiter in the lobby yelling.

Yoshi178 said:

According to the web page for "Games with Gold" they let you keep them...just not play them. Which kind of defeats the purpose
with 360 games with gold you get to keep them if you stop paying for xbox live. with Xbox One, you only keep them if you keep paying for the Xbox Live gold subscription or buy the game outright.

Mothro

Jun 10, 2017
Pretty sure it works like PS+ does. You get to keep the redeemed Xbox One games but you can't play them while you are not subscribed. That means that when you resubscribe, the games be available to you again. The 360 games are yours even after you unsubscribe.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Vigormortis said:
Yoshi178 said:
Vigormortis said:
So, a quick run down:
And did I say I was okay with Live or PSN? Have I EVER, in the entirety of the many years I've been on this forum, once said I was okay with paying for PSN or Live?

I'll answer that for ya. No, I haven't. I've never even suggested that I would be okay with it.
That's just his default with-us-or-against-us reply to anybody who criticizes Nintendo. "Something something your beloved Sony". Throws in a lol or kek because how else do you end a sentence?

On topic:

Not the best reception, the announcement.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Vigormortis said:
often rationalizing them away as though they're 'bad' when other companies do them but 'okay' when Nintendo does,
which is funny because it's only not ok when Nintendo something like this according to you and most other people on this forum.

everyone is content with Sony and Microsoft charging the player for online and has been for over a decade now. Nintendo gets in on it though? "HOW DARE THEY!"

Vigormortis said:
Have I EVER, in the entirety of the many years I've been on this forum, once said I was okay with paying for PSN or Live?

I'll answer that for ya. No, I haven't. I've never even suggested that I would be okay with it.
you don't need to say it. your actions speak louder than words. you'll give Nintendo crap for doing it but not once have i ever seen you shit on Microsoft and Sony when they've been charging customers out the ass for more than a decade now.

it's only not ok when Nintendo does it.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Johnny Novgorod said:
That's just his default
alot like how your default is to never directly reply to me, nah, you'd just rather comment about me and insult me through badmouthing me to someone else who actually is talking to me.

you've always had a problem with me but you've never actually spoken to me directly have you? if i pm you would that help you get things off your chest and sort your issues with me? i mean you've been doing this for years now. you seem to hate me alot for some strange unexplained reasons lol

or do you not have the guts to ever consider doing that?

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Yoshi178 said:
which is funny because it's only not ok when Nintendo something like this according to you
For fuck's sake, dude. When have I ever said that? At what point, in my entire history of being on this forum, have I said it's 'okay' for Sony or Microsoft or anyone to charge to play online?

and most other people on this forum.
Where? No, seriously, where? Point me to the post(s) that say, quote, "It's okay for Sony/Microsoft/whoever to do this thing but it's bad for Nintendo to do it!"

You constantly make this claim, but I'm yet to see a single comment that says anything even remotely close to that. So please, provide a link to one of these infamous posts.

everyone is content with Sony and Microsoft charging the player for online and has been for over a decade now.
This is so demonstrably false I can't even begin...

Nintendo gets in on it though? "HOW DARE THEY!"
Yes. That's clearly the issue people are bringing up. It's certainly not the:
* Lack of dedicated voice chat, save for the use of some bafflingly stupid mobile app bullshit.
* Lack of any community features AT ALL. uPlay, of all things, has more community features. AND IT'S FREE.
* Hard limits on save backups, of which are behind a paywall.
* No way to direct message other users.
* Still being forced into reliance on friend codes.
* The cancellation/removal of the Virtual Console.
* The lack of a dedicated lobby system.

And this isn't even touching on the lack of things like Twitch integration or other, modern features.

No. It's clearly just people bitching that Nintendo dared to join the online gaming thing. Yep. You nailed it.

you don't need to say it. your actions speak louder than words. you'll give Nintendo crap for doing it but not once have i ever seen you shit on Microsoft and Sony when they've been charging customers out the ass for more than a decade now.

it's only not ok when Nintendo does it.
Oh, I'm sorry. I was unaware that I had to actively go around, injecting myself into topics of conversation unrelated to Sony or Microsoft, and loudly proclaim my disdain for their paid online services, and that if I didn't I was clearly condoning their business practices. My mistake.

I've 'shit on' Live and PSN a lot in conversations on this forum. That I'm not sucking Nintendo's dick with unbridled praise does not mean I'm not critical of other companies who commit similar practices.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Vigormortis said:
No. It's clearly just people bitching that Nintendo dared to join the online gaming thing. Yep. You nailed it.
well that's pretty childish. how about actually providing some constructive criticism rather than just mindlessly bitching?

Vigormortis said:
You're not even attempting legitimate counter-criticisms anymore, you're 'attacking' them based on shit they haven't even said.

Jesus, dude. What the actual fuck?
not really. i wasn't attacking them at all.

i'm just pointing out that if you're going to ******" at Nintendo for doing this, you may as well just go and ***** at Sony & MS for doing exactly the same thing, and they've encouraged Nintendo to do it in the first place since they've been doing it for years now.

i don't like paying for any of the online service's. but i'm not going to throw a tantrum about it either. i've actually been an Xbox live customer for years. i used to love playing Halo wars all the time on 360 online.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Okay, get back to the topic at hand and stop bickering. If there are anymore posts that continue to down this path of insults I will hand out infractions and this thread will be locked.

You have been warned.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Okay, get back to the topic at hand and stop bickering. If there are anymore posts that continue to down this path of insults I will hand out infractions and this thread will be locked.

You have been warned.
fine by me.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

You have been warned.
So, just so I'm clear, does this mean I'm not allowed to address any of the points Yoshi178 has brought up or accusations he's pointed at me? Because I have no intention on 'bickering' and no intention on resorting to similar petty insults, but would like to address his post, the contents therein, and tie them back to my original comments on Nintendo's online service. Yet, I feel that doing so, based on your comment, would net me a warning, even though I'm not the one insulting other posters.

Which, if the case, seems incredibly unfair. That a fellow poster gets to throw out insults and baseless accusations, but I have to just shut up and take it.

:/