switching to pc gaming

Whistler777

Nov 14, 2008
Dioxide20 said:
Sniping in FPS games, I just can't figure out how people do it on the consoles.
Exactly what I thought after trying to play Call of Duty with friends on an Xbox 360 today. Unbearable controls, and ridiculously stupid limitations on split-screen play...

AbuFace

Jul 8, 2009
G-X said:
AbuFace said:
G-X said:
Edit:
D4zZ said:
- No Splitscreen. Think I've seen it in 2 PC games I've ever played.
No way, me too! Left 4 Dead and Watchmen, right?
I was thinking Serious Sam: 1st and 2nd encounter =P
Left 4 Dead doesn't have split screen on PC.
It does. You just have to mess with console commands (and you need a gamepad for player 2, since Windows can't handle two mice at once).
Oh, blah, I thought you meant two people could use the keyboard =P

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
pros: everything except the fact that gaming PC wont hold for more than a year at best before it cant run most new games (it took my pc 4 months, then i hitted Dawn of War 2). but oh well, im happy with my laptop.

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
iTeamKill said:
Wow... You must have no idea what you are doing to screw up a purchased game install.
Either that or I don't use mum's Dell Consumerwhoreon 5000 with the lab-approved Vista Baby-safe install.

I'll give you a hint. It's not the former.

dorm41baggins

Feb 24, 2009
apsham said:
iTeamKill said:
Aardvark said:
It's an absolute clusterfuck to get half of them working in the first place. Main reason I went to the 360.

Seriously, installation time, entering key time, finding out the DRM doesn't like your setup and trying to fix it time, giving up on that and downloading the pirate copy time, installing the pirate copy time, entering the legit key in the pirate copy time, starting the game and fiddling with the settings to get the thing to run properly time...

Vs

Pop the disc in, wait for updates to install, play the game.
Wow... You must have no idea what you are doing to screw up a purchased game install.
Not exactly true, because I know a lot of people who have had problems installing some of the newer era PC games, myself included. It's not all that rare of a problem and it is something that you just don't see with console gaming, hence the point that he was trying to make; strong or not.
You usually don't see it on consoles - but when you do you're much worse off. For instance, I have a copy of Jak X that is riddled with bugs and freezes every other time it goes to save data. It's nearly completely unplayable as a result. If it was a PC game, there'd be a good chance that I could patch it and fix the problem, but because it's PS2, there's nothing I can do.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
The main pro of PC gaming is having MUCH more control over your experience. Mouse+keyboard are more flexible than gamepad,you can install mods,use console commands,etcetera etcetera. Plus,we have great selection of old and indie titles!

The problems is that you need to upgrade your comp when new console generation/new Crysis comes,you can experience technical difficulties,there is invasive DRM,and there's no Ratchet & Clank /=#(

AbuFace

Jul 8, 2009
Aardvark said:
iTeamKill said:
Either that or I don't use mum's Dell Consumerwhoreon 5000 with the lab-approved Vista Baby-safe install.

I'll give you a hint. It's not the former.
What DO you use then? I would think if you had a custom built PC you would know how to install a game.

Kstreitenfeld

Mar 27, 2009
Pros:
MMOs
FPS
RTS
Free Multi-player (most of the time)
Highly customizable (both key bindings and the games themselves)
Large amount of cheap classic old games available, including old console games
Games are more likely to receive regular updates

Cons:
Much more expensive
A lot of company's seem to be making games for consoles which result in bad PC port
Racing & Fighting games and games like them are better with controllers (although some games support using a controller for your PC).

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
AbuFace said:
I would think if you had a custom built PC you would know how to install a game.
You don't quite get how DRM on PC games works, do you?

Needless to say, finding DRM removal cracks for legitimately purchased games quickly wore down my PC-gaming resolve.

AbuFace

Jul 8, 2009
Aardvark said:
You don't quite get how DRM on PC games works, do you?

Needless to say, finding DRM removal cracks for legitimately purchased games quickly wore down my PC-gaming resolve.
Considering I game almost exclusively on the PC, I'm quite familiar with it, despite what you want to think.

People who don't even know what DRM is or that they're installing it don't have a problem, what are you doing so differently? Do you have your OS modded to hell and back, so that the game doesn't even recognize it? I've heard tons of complaints with DRM, and I agree that most DRM models suck complete ass, but I've never heard of a newly purchased, freshly installed game failing right off the bat due to DRM.

Rather than making more assumptions of me, educate me. What OS are you running? What game failed on you? How do you know DRM was the culprit?

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
AbuFace said:
Considering I game almost exclusively on the PC, I'm quite familiar with it, despite what you want to think.
The problem was DRM refuses to let the game install/run. The solution: Remove the DRM.

If from that, you haven't figured out what the cause of it, then you're not familiar with it.

Bradfucius

Oct 20, 2008
I would take a whiny ten year old on Xbox Live over a PC elitist any day. I can forgive a ten year old more because he's a 10 year old. A grown man who has delusions that he's part of a master race because he paid $300 extra to play Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing is just ridiculous. There's nothing wrong with PC gaming, you're just not special.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Pros
largest back catalogue of games
newer hardware can make replaying a game a better experience
Making games work teaches you a lot about computers (not a con)
Emulators for N64 and earlier consoles
Largest choice of controllers, Kb+m/gamepad/joystick/wheel/Wii remote/dance pad/rockband instruments
Self repair
no CD cracks
Mods and greater access to the internet (p0rn)
plus every other task a PC can perform
Far more storage space
Better Visuals
Diablo

Cons
Pricer
shafted by most developers

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
JimmyBassatti said:
D4zZ said:
Con of PC gaming:
- Games need installing (unlike most consoles)
Unlike most consoles? Just about every game on the PS3 needs to be installed, and trust me, when it does, your going to have to retry it a lot of fucking times, because it decides to stop at the start of the install. Also, it takes FOREVER to update, download, and all that.
Yeah, like I said, unlike most consoles. There is one console out of 6 just in the last 2 generations, none of the ones in the past had installs either. So yes, most consoles you don't need to install on. :)

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Bradfucius said:
I would take a whiny ten year old on Xbox Live over a PC elitist any day. I can forgive a ten year old more because he's a 10 year old. A grown man who has delusions that he's part of a master race because he paid $300 extra to play Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing is just ridiculous. There's nothing wrong with PC gaming, you're just not special.
This, pretty much. That and pirates have made installing most new games hell. With a console, I can just shove in a disk and play, but with a PC? Well, my EA games still aren't playable because it didn't register my password properly and won't reset it for some reason I can't quite work out...

Console gaming is so much nicer...