Syfy Sets Superman Prequel Series Krypton

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Syfy Sets Superman Prequel Series Krypton

Cable drama will tell the story of Superman's homeworld, birth family

At this point, we may soon be asking which DC Comics characters, locations and tangential relations Warner Bros isn't making TV shows out of. With "Multiverse" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/gotham] experiment is expanding by the day. The latest entry? Krypton, a sci-fi drama set on Superman's doomed homeworld ten years before the hero's birth.

The series is the brainchild of Man of Steel [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/8067-The-Big-Letdown] screenwriter David Goyer and Once Upon a Time's Ian Goldberg, who will jointly pen the pilot script for Syfy. It was not immediately clear whether the series will tie into the current DC Universe movies, the shared continuity of Arrow and Flash, the separate continuity of Gotham or be entirely independent of any existing part of the DC Multiverse.

Little is known about the premise (the series was announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138240-David-Goyer-Reportedly-Developing-Krypton-Series-For-TV] back in October) other than that it will involve Superman/Kal-El's grandfather "bringing hope and equality to a planet in disarray" during a time when the House of El is "shamed and ostracized;" so perhaps the pitch was "Game of Thrones, but for Superman!"

No start or release date has been announced for the series at this time.

Source: THR [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/syfy-david-goyer-developing-superman-755060]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

STENDEC1

Jul 20, 2012
"The series is the brainchild of Man of Steel screenwriter David Goyer..."

Aaaaand I've instantly lost interest.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
This makes me angry as it takes the efforts of so many away from better projects.

This is going to require the special effects and sets of sci-fi world. Why not put that to a better project. Say, "Legion of Super Heroes".

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
And since they have already said the TV shows have their own continuity and are not tied to the movies universe in any form, I am far from interested in this "multiverse" experiment of DC.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
Back in the late 80s/early 90s there was a comicbook miniseries "World of Krypton", with the same premise. As I recall it was quite good, but I'm gonna go ahead and assume they'll use none of that and try to be original and mess it all up.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
yellost said:
I'm calling it : they all die in the end...
Nah, one of them gets away in the end as a sequel hook...

(Or they get stuck in a bottle or something...not sure how that worked)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
yellost said:
I'm calling it : they all die in the end...
Shh! Spoilers, man!

STENDEC1 said:

I read that as the "manchild" of Man of Steel....A lot funnier that way.

hermes200 said:
And since they have already said the TV shows have their own continuity and are not tied to the movies universe in any form, I am far from interested in this "multiverse" experiment of DC.
That they've cast a different Flash (same character, not just same superhero identity) for the movies made me assume that anyway. Seems a shitty way to go, but hey, it's DC.

Apr 5, 2008
Weren't the people on Krypton just regular shmoes? ie. no superpowers. Smallville was the best Superman related property, I still kinda miss it. Won't be watching this one.

WarpedLord

Mar 11, 2009
STENDEC1 said:

Funny... that happened for me as soon as I saw "SyFy".

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
KingsGambit said:
Weren't the people on Krypton just regular shmoes? ie. no superpowers. Smallville was the best Superman related property, I still kinda miss it. Won't be watching this one.
Well, so is Batman. Krypton had the tech to send Superman to Earth, so that's sorta impressive.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
STENDEC1 said:

Took you long enough, I lost interest at "Syfy".

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
WarpedLord said:
STENDEC1 said:

Funny... that happened for me as soon as I saw "SyFy".
Same with me, unless its reality TV it seems most of their shows last for one or two years before being cancelled.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
I dont think I've ever seen a SyFy show but I thought the general consensus was they're pretty bad? I'm a DC fan and Superman is one of my favourites but this is just one of those shows I don't think anyone was asking for

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Would've sparked my interest if SyFy-channel wasn't attached to it. They are notorious for airing the biggest science fiction drivel known.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
STENDEC1 said:

The first 15 mins of movie when they were actually on Kryton was the best part of the movie. It's when Superman actually got involved the movie went down hill.

circularlogic88

Knower of Nothing
Oct 9, 2010
Goyer is poison. SyFy is mediocre at best when it comes to production quality of their non-reality shows. I have visions of this being like Game of Thrones on a shoestring budget and none of the story, violence or nudity that makes GoT good.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
I'm just waiting for the inevitable moment that DC's attempt to replicate the Marvel cinematic universe folds upon itself in a disastrous wreck. They might still make a boatload of cash, but they'll be some of the most boring superhero movies of all time.