Tabletop games

Eyelicker

Apr 8, 2010
fullbleed said:
Eyelicker said:
Swny Nerdgasm said:
Eyelicker said:
In b4 this thread gets swamped with warhammers
I never quite understood the people you played warhammer, hell in high school even the D&D nerds made fun of them
haha, dont get me wrong, i love 40k! I just keep it on the down low when hanging out with chicks or anyone for the first time.

That said, if you can get most males away from female company, nomatter how they appear, most will have at some time in their life collected warhammers.

I was once at this bar talking about our armies with some friends (cos it's totally cool to go to a bar to discuss Eldar vs Space Marine tactics), and this bar dude, after making sure none of the bargirls were nearby, came and joined the discussion.

It's like some kind of secret uber nerdy boys club
Lol I like this, I used to do a lot of 40K and Lord of the Rings but It's just too expensive and I can't keep up with all the rules. Plus if I ever wanted to play I'd have to go all the way into town with a box of minatures to stand around in room full of sweaty nerds in Iron Maiden shirts who smell of socks.
For games day in the UK they had to introduce as a rule "participants must show up thoughroughly showered and wearing deoderant", presumably because neckbeard hygene indoors multiplyed by many people made the smell pretty unbearable :D

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
MMETEORAGA1994 said:
Mine is Risk, I really like the balance it strikes between 'a good strategy will get you far' and 'all your planning can be ruined by luck'. That in addition to the fact that one game can last for a really long time, and anywhere from 2 to 6 people can play at once. It's a really good party game if said party is up to the task of playing a 3+ hour game
Risk is great fun. I've not played it for ages, unfortunately. Have you played Diplomacy? It's not dissimilar to Risk, but there's no dice, so it's obviously less based on luck. I find that it's a game that brings out everyone's inner bastard: the point of the game is to make and break alliances with the other players in order to get ahead. It can go on for just as long as Risk, and it's really fun trying to work out if your allies are still on your side or not, and, of the other players, who is allied with whom.

Case in point: a group of friends and I started playing, and I allied with one of them right from the start. For the next two hours, we worked together and were doing pretty well. After that, however, I saw an opportunity to expand my territory into his. Accordingly, I brokered an alliance with two of the other players to carve up my former ally's territory between us. Within two turns we'd wiped him off the map. Huzzah!

Other than those, I don't really play board games. I love me some D&D, though. 2nd Edition AD&D is my personal favourite, although there aren't many people who play it any more. I'm currently involved in an online 3rd Edition campaign that, while almost painfully slow, is still quite fun.

Neikun

May 11, 2010
My introduction to table top roleplaying was D&D 3.5
In just a short while I was a Dungeon Master. -first time always fails miserably, no?-
Now that I've played for at least two years, I really understand not only the games applications, but it's concept.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Backgammon. I like backgammon agood mix of chance and strategy. Chess is good. My friends won't play Trivial Pursuit with me any more, that's ok I won't play scrabble with them either. Not that I'm particularly bad at scrabble, but because everyone takes so damn long to have their turn. Professional writers can get very competitive about scrabble.
RPGs, the most fun I had would be the old Palladium TMNT or Paranoid, but the one that was the coolest was MERPS.

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
Warhammer 40,000. Though I'm in a bit of a hiatus from it at the moment, having not played a proper game since last summer, and not bought any new things since the beginning of the year. Mostly due to lack of time, money and people to play with (my two friends that I used to play with don't anymore), rather than a lack of interest.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I love playing Risk, Cluedo and Monopoly. Sadly, none of my friends do :p. My family are usually too busy, and the only thing they will play is either Monopoly or Cluedo, because apparently they get bored just setting up the board for Risk.

Anyway, we never play Monopoly or Cluedo either, since my brother always complains whenever he's losing, or in the case of Monopoly, tries badgering everyone to do deals and try to buy everyone's property from them every turn (which fine, is allowed in the rules, but he doesn't take no for an answer). He also has an annoying habit of throwing the paper money at people and yelling "Flying Money!!!!!" when he has to pay anything, and saying "I'll buy it XD" at every single place he lands on the first turn, when you aren't allowed to buy property (he even does it with the Chance and Community Chest squares... :p).

My brother, by the way, turns 18 in about two months.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
I love tabletop games! I have a ton of more obscure ones.

Some of my favorites:

Last Night on Earth - A cool zombie game where you play in teams. One team are the zombies, they win if they eat you, the other team the survivors, they win if they survive the night.

Pandemic - This is a newer one, but the board looks a lot like a Risk game board, only you work co-operatively with the other players to wipe out infections and outbreaks. It's really pretty fun.

Ticket to Ride - A train monopoly game, that's the best way to describe it.

Guillotine - this is a really fun and simple card game where you collect famous heads from the French Revolution.

These are just a few. I'm always looking for more.

KaiRai

Jun 2, 2008
The Forces of Chaos said:
Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40k for me really. I love the Lore and the look of the iconic armys.
I'd ask what army, but I think the username answers my question.

OT: I used to play WH fantasy and 40k, but kind of got out of it. I could never be bothered to spend 3 hours on a game with my friends.

I'd probably consider playing again, but probably only fantasy. DOW probably fills my 40k needs haha.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I love boardgames, especially Monopoly, Risk, Cluedo, Hotel and Colonists of Catan, but I'm open for pretty much anything. Sadly my family barely if ever plays boardgames nowadays, and I have no friends to play them with. Bah.

I'd love to play D&D and games like Warhammer/W40K too. But of course the area I live in is void of such things.
Trivun said:
tries badgering everyone to do deals and try to buy everyone's property from them every turn (which fine, is allowed in the rules, but he doesn't take no for an answer)
Tell that to my family. Ever (rare) time we played Monopoly we weren't allowed to make any deals with each other. That makes the game so much more boring.

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
Rolemaster is an excellent Table top RPG. It's a bit more complex than DnD but it's much more realistic and fun to play. It's based off percentages (d100, d10) instead of d20. However it's old, and so If you want the books, you have to order them online.

Durxom

May 12, 2009
I used to play Warhammer 40k, but then it just got to expensive for me to keep it going..and my hands to too jittery to paint them well. I did have some Black Templars, and my brother used to have...some type of Tyranids.

Also, since you also said card games count, I play Magic: The Gathering with my girlfriend, and her brother/his friends. I thought it was too confusing at first, but it's really fun when you start getting into it, and I have a fairly decent Island/Plains deck as well.

black orchid1

Dec 15, 2009
i collect and play warhammer 40k on the odd occasion,i used to play d&d 3.5 but at the moment im playing world of darkness with a group of friends

migo

Jun 27, 2010
I'm a big fan of Tales of the Arabian Nights. You need some people with good English skills who can substitute proper nouns and pronouns on the fly to make it really immersive though. The cool thing is you do better by having bad shit happen to you.

Small World is also a lot of fun, it's sort of like Risk, except more fun and everyone stays involved until the end and it finishes much, much, faster.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
I love D&D, but my only "Tabletop" fix is currently Exalted, although we don't play at a table, we play on couches and chairs with books on our laps to roll on.

As for actual tabletops though, I love D&D, and I'm planning on Picking up the new D&D Board Game.. I bought the WoW Board Game, but it is way too complicated and it takes forever to set-up that anyone I'd play it with is bored and confused by the time we actually get started. The D&D boardgame looks a lot more simpler.