Taiwanese Animation Lampoons Supreme Court Decision

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Elementlmage said:
Caricature and Satire are not mutually exclusive. Certainly we can agree that they are lampooning something, which would certainly fall into the realm of satire? Whether it is the Supreme Court verdict itself, or the reaction to the verdict makes no difference.
Makes a pretty big difference. If they're making fun of side A, they're coming down in support of side B. If they're making fun of side B, they're pro-A.

By 'caricature,' the aim of their little video is to exaggerate the features of the verdict they feel are ridiculous--namely that the Supreme Court wants kids to play violent games.

If it were 'satire,' this caricature would clearly be more ironic. Irony requires establishing an expectation before thwarting it, which this video does not do. If they did, I could see how they are instead exaggerating the overreaction to the verdict. I'm just not seeing that communicated in any way.

In short, I think these folks believe the verdict is ridiculous. And the reasons they've given clearly aren't considering the whole situation.

Uber Evil

Mar 4, 2009
Are these the same people who make the animations that Adult Swim sometimes show? I was strongly reminded of that.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Elementlmage said:
Dastardly said:
John Funk said:
Taiwanese Animation Lampoons Supreme Court Decision
Oddly enough, the gay marriage one was pretty balanced (though ridiculous in its iconography). This one? Way off the mark. The picture being painted is that they want to impose violent entertainment on innocent children, when in reality they just want to leave it to the parents to decide, and not support ridiculous laws that will cost too much time and money in enforcement and argument.
Uh, dude? It's satire; they aren't being serious.

Any, I laughed my ass off! I got into it last night with my uncle, who's literal opinion of the Supreme Court very closely matches that farcical laugh-fest(It's sad, I know); it's great to see not everyone thinks that way.
Somebody, somewhere will take it seriously. And then they will quote it when they talk about how the event changed us for better or worse. It's like a rule of life, man.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
John Funk said:
that ruled that videogames had all the First Amendment protections granted to other forms of media.
It's not as hard to plan ahead when you can see one of two choices coming from an event. It wasn't like they had to attempt to put together 30,000 videos, or it was something that they had no clue was coming.

Togusa09

Apr 4, 2010
Video missing the point much? There's a slight difference between wanting someone to have something, and not constitutionally being able to to stop them having it...

Anacortian

May 19, 2009
Wow! The Taiwanese really seem to know how to run a better government than us. I say they no longer need our military to defend them from a Chinese reunification. When they become a real, adult country (read: doesn't need our military) then they can sit at the adult table. Until then, maybe the Free Chinese ought not bight the hand that keeps them free.

Anacortian

May 19, 2009
Wow! The Taiwanese really seem to know how to run a better government than us. I say they no longer need our military to defend them from a Chinese reunification. When they become a real, adult country (read: doesn't need our military) then they can sit at the adult table. Until then, maybe the Free Chinese ought not bight the hand that keeps them free.