Take off your shoes!

Ludlov

Mar 3, 2009
So 'ive seen many shows like Family Guy, American Dad and the Simpons wher they make fun of the japanese for always taking their shoes off indoors. Well, i'm swedish and we also take off our shoes so i have to ask: Why is this so weird to you americans? When you walk around outside your shoes get dirty so why not take them off before you go inside instead of dragging all that filth inside? Do you just enjoy cleaning the house or what?

Dec 14, 2009
That's what annoys me in American TV shows, when characters are sitting cross-legged on beds/sofas with their shoes on. It totally breaks immersion.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
I'm confused as this as well and this is coming from an American who takes his shoes off in other American's houses.

Maybe its a city thing or something.

drbarno

Nov 18, 2009
Well, I'm british and it really depends on the household, some people prefer it, some don't. It doesn't seem weird to me that some people don't (My family don't bother)

Rofl-Mayo

Mar 11, 2010
I'm Canadian and I take off my shoes as well. I don't like wearing shoes in the house.

baseracer

Jul 31, 2009
I've never seen that in the Simpsons, even in the episode they go to japan.

I usually take off my shoes when i'm indoors. I find it more comfortable with them off.

ConstantJoe

Apr 10, 2009
I don't wear shoes in my house, but it just seems rude to me to take your shoes of in someone elses, unless they specifically ask you to. Like you own the place, or something.

xdom125x

Dec 14, 2010
I always saw it (in America) as you can keep them on if they aren't tracking dirt or anything but if anything's on them, they should be taken off at the door. There is also the rule for if the floors have carpets, which (generally) is take off the shoes.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
I'm Irish and when I am at home I never wear my shoes though I sometimes wear slippers. In another person's home though I keep them on unless I know them well. I sure as shit am not putting my feet on furniture with or without shoes in anyone elses home.

baseracer said:
I've never seen that in the Simpsons, even in the episode they go to japan.

I usually take off my shoes when i'm indoors. I find it more comfortable with them off.
I think it was in the sushi bar restaurant. Thinking about it now though that is the only other episode where japanese things are central (Ignoring Mr. Sparkler).

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
well I'm Danish and i freaking hate when people ask me to take off my shoes, first of all there's the foot odour, my feet don't always smell lemon fresh and its really uncomfortable knowing that you are making everyone else uncomfortable, secondly there's something intimate about it, for some people its a small thing but for others like myself it feels weird taking off your shoes around people you don't know very well and i myself like wearing shoes, even when i'm just at home i always wear shoes until i go to sleep.

and really, its so annoying when people ask you to do something you normally wouldn't when you enter their home, like using a coaster, being quiet, not to eat meat (i'm vegetarian myself but c'mon) heck once me and another guy where asked to change cloth (we could borrow some from her father or older brother) and putting on deodorant, not because we had just run a marathon and was covered in sweat, no it was because we where both smoker and she had just aired out the apartment (had a window open for 40min) , if you are that set in your ways or so afraid of people doing something you don't like, then don't ask people over to your apartment, ask them to meet you at a bar or something.

And before someone yells at me, there are situations where its common courtesy, if its muddy outside then of cause you take off your shoes, if its your coffee table is a antique heritage naturally i will use a coaster, but if its dry outside and your coffee table is 5 years old and from ikea then take it easy, or dont invite smokers.

Klarinette

May 21, 2009
I don't like wearing shoes at all, really. I like Summer because I don't really have to unless I'm leaving my property. EW, dirty hippie!

Hm.. I find it weird when I go to someone's house and they tell you not to bother taking your shoes off. OOH! Or if they have a separate pair that they wear indoors. What the hell? Free yourself, man! Generally, you take your shoes off indoors - the Simpsons, Griffins and Smiths need to realize this. Marge, Lois and Francine would probably have to vacuum a lot less.

Nupu

Nov 6, 2010
I never even wear shoes in school. Who would even want to wear shoes inside that are all muddy or snowy, I don't want to step in to dog litter inside my own home.

Karma168

Nov 7, 2010
i'm not to bothered about it, in my flat i wear my shoes all the time except in bed - thats just chatty. my mum hates it though, cant mess up her carpets!

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
i take mine off, the shoes i wear most of the times are the ones i use for walking the dogs so are usually muddy. don't want that dragged round the house.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Kaboose the Moose said:
What's the point in wearing shoes at home? You're at home!
There are still heavy things like books at home. Won't somebody think of the toes?

I take my shoes off when I feel like it, I think the TV shows are more looking at the take shoes off as soon as you get to the door, rather than your room or whatnot.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
I don't wear shoes inside when I'm at home or with family (Aunt or Uncle's house). I do usually keep my shoes on if I'm at a friend's house, unless they ask me to take them off, or specifically tell me I can take them off if I want to.

Kaboose the Moose

Feb 15, 2009
2fish said:
Kaboose the Moose said:
What's the point in wearing shoes at home? You're at home!
There are still heavy things like books at home. Won't somebody think of the toes?

I take my shoes off when I feel like it, I think the TV shows are more looking at the take shoes off as soon as you get to the door, rather than your room or whatnot.
It's true there are uses for it while at home but unless one is moving heavy things for the entire duration they are at home I don't really see how someone can make shoes a 24/7 domestic deal.

The toes need to breath..