Take-Two Boss Predicts the End of THQ

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
THQ are a bit of a shit company. Besides SR3 and Metro 2033 I can't think of any game I have actually liked in the last 10 years.

Captca: modern love

Awwww

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Lunar Templar said:
quick!! some one save relic!!
To put the 'Titanic' scenario to use, put Vigil and Relic on the lifeboats, leave Volition on the ship.

If Relic goes down I probably won't see a decent RTS for half a decade.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Thats wat they get for even daring to market that uDraw thing.

Seriously, who thought that was even a serviceable idea on anything but the Wii?

AJax_21

May 6, 2011
80Maxwell08 said:
Packie_J said:
mad825 said:
So long as I get my Metro:Last light I don't care.
This. I also hope Vigil and Relic survives this. Someone like Eidos/Square-Enix should pick them up.
How about someone aside from Square-Enix who sit on a ton of series doing nothing with them while destroying their own brand with stupidity.
I was talking about the Eidos side specifically, you know the part of the company that isn't ran by clueless morons.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I hope THQ survives this hard time.

The stuff he says is pretty funny though. For instance, he says THQ adheres to way too many licensed titles. Brian Farrell's assessment is that it's because he spent copious amounts of money on new properties that did not pan out, and not because of reliance on licensed properties. THQ's licensed properties did not fail to perform, it was the various attempts at the new properties that failed to perform. The only titles they have had that are keeping them afloat is the licensed titles.

As a side note, Take-Two had two commercial flops last year, Duke Nukem Forever and LA Noir. I think it's funny that he using Metacritic as a metric for the quality of their games. They make and have made some fine games. I don't think his view of THQ is all the researched though.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Packie_J said:
80Maxwell08 said:
Packie_J said:
mad825 said:
This. I also hope Vigil and Relic survives this. Someone like Eidos/Square-Enix should pick them up.
How about someone aside from Square-Enix who sit on a ton of series doing nothing with them while destroying their own brand with stupidity.
I was talking about the Eidos side specifically, you know the part of the company that isn't ran by clueless morons.
Eidos is just a developer though aren't they?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, to be honest I think the problem is the quality, Take Two is right on the money about that. I look at say "Saint's Row The Third" and compare it to say "Saint's Row 2" and they cut a lot of corners compared to the second game, and also seemed to recycle a lot of assets from the previous game. The costume options aren't as detailed, entire mini-games that were missing are now gone, there aren't multiple fighting styles anymore... and well, a lot of things. When I look at things on the 40k front, their last game was a mess where they kind of replaced the goodness of "Dark Crusade" and "Soulstorm" with a mess of using a number of differant factions to do the same set of missions which might not even make sense for the faction in question...

The point is that THQ CAN do good work, and I think their position 5 years ago was the result of that potential, but ever since it seems like they have wanted to jump on the same "hold as much back as possible" bandwagon and their products have suffered and the company is feeling it.

THQ might not recover simply because they are in a position where they need big bucks to invest in new projects to pull themselves out, but their current track record makes it unlikely they will get that kind of funding.

If THQ goes under I'd imagine the 40k liscence will be sold to someone else by Game's Workshop, and Saint's Row will probably wind up being auctioned off or going with a few of the honchos for them to pimp out while they look for a new job/employer.

A lot might be hinging on this 40k RPG, but the big question is when they could get that game out there.... I haven't heard anything about it being near completion in any form, and it doesn't seem like they have a couple of years to work on it given that they need a success right now... the kind of success that rushing it out won't give them.

AJax_21

May 6, 2011
80Maxwell08 said:
Packie_J said:
80Maxwell08 said:
Packie_J said:
mad825 said:
Eidos interactive have become Square Enix Europe. I think they had a lot of influence on the company's infrastructure. (e.g the recent reboots of eidos IPs, publishing that True Crime game which was abandoned by Activision...etc.)

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Packie_J said:
80Maxwell08 said:
Packie_J said:
80Maxwell08 said:
Packie_J said:
mad825 said:
Eidos interactive have become Square Enix Europe. I think they had a lot of influence on the company's infrastructure. (e.g the recent reboots of eidos IPs, publishing that True Crime game which was abandoned by Activision...etc.)
Ah well then. I would say I'm in agreement though I do wonder if there would be a better publisher. Maybe Take Two themselves here but I don't know how much money they could spare.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
I'm quite glad I didn't actually invest, like I wanted to earlier this year. I figured they might make a comeback, unfortunately that seems unlikely

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Maybe not. Tide comes in, tide goes out. Its just a natural cycle of things. If they arent making good games, then the company needs to fail so that the people working there can be redistributed to elsewhere in the industry where they can contribute to projects that DO work.

SweetWarmIce

Jun 1, 2009
Regardless of what happens I just want Vigil and Relic to be unharmed. Dawn of War, Darksiders and Company of Heroes are among my favourite series. Hopefully Dark Millenium will be awesome as well.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Blind Sight said:
Lunar Templar said:
quick!! some one save relic!!
To put the 'Titanic' scenario to use, put Vigil and Relic on the lifeboats, leave Volition on the ship.

If Relic goes down I probably won't see a decent RTS for half a decade.
hehehe, i agree since i want more space marine and more darksiders!!

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Baresark said:
As a side note, Take-Two had two commercial flops last year, Duke Nukem Forever and LA Noir. I think it's funny that he using Metacritic as a metric for the quality of their games. They make and have made some fine games. I don't think his view of THQ is all the researched though.
LA Noire sold (just) over 5 Million copies, maybe not as successful as they would have liked but good for a new Ip and still profitable.

Also Duke Nukem (while rubbish) was picked up very late, polished and shoved out the door and it still made money so hardly a failure?

Parnage

Apr 13, 2010
Well if Metacritic say it's not good it must be true.. Because we all knows scores are sooo worthwhile these days.

What a douchebag move from Zelnick. Sure is easy to call things out when someones on hard times, what would be really useful instead of being a jerk is perhaps giving advice other then "You are screwed lol"

THQ hopefully will pull something out because quite frankly they are one of the better publishers rather you like it or not and it'd hurt quite abit for them to go under.