Take Two Disappointed With BioShock 2

felixader

Feb 24, 2008
So, first he is stating to aknowledg what many said when Bioshock 2 was announced but then he turns 180 and says that the Franchaise has a vaib... vaiabil... that it still has a lot to make something out of in it.

Ahem considering that Rapture is more or less Bioshock till now what he really wants to say is that the name of Bioshock will be present on other Shooters that will have the same kind of gameplay to them but are otherwise in other scenarios and stuff.

EDIT: Okay now i have it, what they want to have is a reckogniceable brand name like Call of Duty.

The Singularity

Jun 3, 2008
I want the next Bioshock to take place on the surface. In first bad ending they are going to take over the world, and all of the endings in the second involve the world above, again going to rule it if your evil(It is YOU, kind of) or if your good Eleanor setting out to become Mother Therisa. These ending seemed like they would have huge impacts on the surface world, but apparently the hijacking of a nuclear warhead carrying submarine by power crazed head cases gos unnoticed in the world.
After the first Bioshock I really didn't feel there was room for a sequel. The endings were basically happily ever after or rule the world. But since they already made a second I feel that they really need to make a third one. Hopefully a third one thats at least as good as the first.

L34dP1LL

Mar 6, 2010
I know that its supposed to be a spiritual succesor to SS2, but if you've played both of them, even the plot twists! dr. Polito and Atlas, supposed allies, transform into the main antagonist, SHODAN - Fontaine, The Many - Ryan, Dr. Delacroix - Dr. Tenenbaum. there's just to many similarities in characters and story (IMO), that for me it just seems like a copy.

alinos

Nov 18, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Also, I must add that BioShock 2 was very obviously based on different Ayn Rand novel, namely The Fountainhead. Sofia Lamb was 100% Ellsworth Toohey. That's why I enjoyed BioShock 2. Sure the "wow" factor was gone, but seeing that book come back in BioShock 2 was pretty cool. The upgraded combat (dual-wielding weapons and plasmids) made it a lot more fun too.
See in my mind the story itself was kinda lame because it felt like the start was executed well and then they didnt know how to run with it so we dealt with 3 of her "prodgidys" and moved on there was No climatic fight or anything just a room with mass spawns

as for the dual wielding that was the thing that pissed me off about this game it simply made everything simple

shock and shoot at the same time

it took out the tactics that were there in the original and in the process made most of the plasmids useless

robandall

Jan 25, 2010
I really enjoyed Bioshock 2 but, as everyone else has said, the story just wasn't compelling. I was indifferent about hunting down Lamb because she, unlike Ryan, hadn't played such a huge part in the demise of Rapture and wasn't my ticket out. Combine that with me having trouble identifying with, or caring about, Eleanor due to her not being your biological child and the lack of believability generated by Bolger's poor accent. Hiring an Irish born, American accented actress to play the part of an English girl is so f*cking ridiculous it's almost beyond belief (remembering Richard Gere in The Jackal was the only thing that stopped me from turning the game off in disgust). Combine these reasons and there was no story based reason for me to continue playing BUT...

Bioshock 1 was a hard act to follow since the wonder of Rapture has already been removed, drastically affecting the atmosphere and immersion. Also I, for one, thought the gameplay was better in the sequel. Combat was more visceral, the weapons were more satisfying and there were more ways to approach a situation. The difficult curve was odd but some of the harder fights, the ones that stripped most of your health and all your special ammo, were exceptionally rewarding. On top of that the graphics were improved - character models, animation and lighting all looked better despite the number of on-screen enemies going through the roof.

In short Bioshock 2 shouldn't be a disappointment as a game but didn't do Rapture's lore justice.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Get Ken Levine back and I'm pretty sure the series would do fine again.

It's like Metal Gear without Hideo, you need a lead with a strong sense of where to take the game and its story. Bioshock 2 felt completely contrived and rehashed, and by armatures in a series that was created by a professional.

The ending was better than the first game though, as for gameplay? You know they could have done a lot better....=/