Take-Two Settles "Hot Coffee" Lawsuit for $20 Million

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Furthermore, who the hell is the victim here in this class-action lawsuit? People who hacked game code to see pixelated screwing? How is that being a victim? Unless the hack's effects were misleadingly labelled (and then that further means it's not Rockstar's fault), I don't even see how this works. Simply put, it doesn't. Sadly I think I've proven I can't really find a similar situation...at least until I looked at the "Dummied Out" page on TVTropes.

Ash, the quite obviously gay secret boss/secret character cut out of the US edition of Streets of Rage 3 for the Genesis could be put back in with a Game Genie code. I'm actually surprised nobody jumped on that back in the day but then again hacking and video games weren't that big in the media at the time (even with Mortal Kombat making waves). My point being that nothing happened in this case, and nothing should have happened here.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
Supreme Unleaded said:
wasnt the hot coffe thing a mod made by a gamer, and how does it take this long, didnt this thing start in like 04.
It was already "hidden in the game" just locked down by Rockstar's programmers and such A modder just found the right key(BTW nice avatar)

L.B. Jeffries said:
Nimbus said:
Who were they being sued by, and why?
-snip-
I still don't see the why, and what happened to the moder who unlocked it, he probably fell out of his chair laughing about this. He is the one who should be getting fucked without lube. I forgot what else I was gonna say.

SinisterDeath

Nov 6, 2006
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines from my understanding had a TON of content that wasn't finished but left on the disk, including sex scenes.

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
Damn, I wish I had a million dollars for seeing some titties. Hey Take Two! I still have the original racy version of San Andreas! I'm totally traumatized by it! Gimme gimme gimme!

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Nimbus said:
metroidgearsolid said:
and cencorship wins again... -_-
This is the first time I have ever, ever been on the conservative side of the argument, but it was AO (18+) content in an M (16+) game.
If you called dry humping adult only content then you must be new to the internet. Rockstar blocked it because it was stupid looking and didn't want anymore controversy over the game about a Los Angeles gangster in the early 90's fighting corrupt cops.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
johnx61 said:
And if even one cent is going to Jack Thompson then it's high time we broke out the torches and pitchforks.
I'll get the cake! Everybody who joins the angry mob gets a slice!

Li1t

Jun 2, 2009
20 Million sounds like a lot, but if you consider what another 4 years of legal fees would be like for Take Two then you could see why they just wanted to end things. I think the lawyers who took the class action lawsuit probably got 4 years wages plus a little sum from it. Second place goes to the lawyers who Take Two were paying to defend them.

All in all, I declare victory to the Lawyers! Everyone else loses, as usual.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
McCa said:
They didn't know it was there, someone messed up and cut corners and just deleted getting to it, rather than deleting the entire code itself. They didn't hide it.They didn't think it could be found. And besides what 16 year old hasn't seen sex? A lot have already had it at that point. Alexander, the film is a 15 or a 16 and that has full nudity sex scene in it. And like someone said, nobody was actually angry about it.
Videogames have always been scrutinised more than any other form of media. It's the interactivity with these things people don't like. Nearly all school shootings are blamed on videogames these days, at least until someone can prove otherwise, and even then you can't convince everyone. I think the movie industry had the same problem when it started, so we can only hope people will be more accepting as time goes by. Still, I hate the way a company can get sued because of something that technically wasn't supposed to be in the game anyway.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Great, now settle the OTHER [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91774-Take-Two-Sues-3D-Realms-Miller-Denies-Rumors] Lawsuit.

I have faith in it still, though slim.

Hail to the king baby.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
This is for a sex mini game that people were able to use code to dig out of the game that was not intended to play, there was no way to play it besides manipulating code...yet the developers still got in trouble for it. I dunno how that works, but okay.

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
i never looked into it but it didnt even containany kind fo nudity did it?...anyway

L.B. Jeffries said:
(snippage)
Negotiating the fee and all that, along with how much insurance will cover, just takes a long time.
thanks for that, i have learnt my 1 thing for the day :p

but do the lawyers get everything then? seems abit odd that they are getting the money that 1 company should be giving to everyone...but maybe its just the loss on the companies end they do it for...

as you can tell ive never looked into anythin like this so am completely clueless :p

Nukey

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2009
huh? they just finished that, wow. just think of all the time, energy, and man power they used on this lawsuit.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Angron said:
i never looked into it but it didnt even containany kind fo nudity did it?...anyway

L.B. Jeffries said:
(snippage)
Negotiating the fee and all that, along with how much insurance will cover, just takes a long time.

but do the lawyers get everything then? seems abit odd that they are getting the money that 1 company should be giving to everyone...but maybe its just the loss on the companies end they do it for...
Naw, they get 1/3 of the value in damages. So...let's say the court decides that Rockstar has to cough up 120 million. The law firm would get a 1/3 or 40 million. The rest goes to the people who signed up for the suit, but it's divided up into very tiny amounts like ten bucks or something.

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
L.B. Jeffries said:
Angron said:

L.B. Jeffries said:
(snippage)

Naw, they get 1/3 of the value in damages. So...let's say the court decides that Rockstar has to cough up 120 million. The law firm would get a 1/3 or 40 million. The rest goes to the people who signed up for the suit, but it's divided up into very tiny amounts like ten bucks or something.
ah, makes more sense that what i was thinking, ill have to try and remeber this...thanks for my daily brain input ;)