Take-Two Signs BioShock Movie Deal

EnzoHonda

Mar 5, 2008
The talent looks good so far. Like mentioned above: as long as they avoid sticking The Rock or Vin Diesel in the lead, it might have a chance. Hopefully they can get a few people who are both stars AND actors.

This is the best chance the world has of making a decent video game movie adaptation. If this isn't entertaining as well as a good film by film standards, then there is no hope.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
*sigh*

The best, and most interesting way to make this movie would be to concentrate on the rise and fall of Rapture. More of a drama than an action movie. If they don't do something like that then I predict AvP-levels of stupidity ~~

TomNook

Feb 21, 2008
thebobmaster said:
Jeroen Stout said:
Hm. This makes movies look like a wank-off, really, they keep deriving from books and games. Do they ever make anything on their own? They rip off themepark-rides, even.
Hey, POTC was good. Haunted Mansion...not so much.

Hey now, I liked Haunted Mansion.

Nov 28, 2007
TheNecroswanson said:
*deep breath*

NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Ten bucks says the main character has both a name and dialogue and the movie bombs.

Er, the character had a name in the game.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
TheNecroswanson said:
Wasn't his name Jack?
You also forgot his one line in the intro.

Jack: People said 'jack you were special' - ya know what..they were right *splode*

I'm sure Jack's voice actor left the studio with huge bags with dollar signs printed on them.

Skrapt

May 6, 2008
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
True. Why does everyone get so excited when VG movies are mentioned? Behind all the hyperbole, this Bioshock movie will boil down to a crude retelling of the original story, with all the interactivity cut out. Games don't need movies. The two mediums are becoming so similar that a Bioshock movie really is quite redundant.
that's usually exactly what I think when movies are announced based on games, however I think it could become a good movie for the very reasons stated it has a great atmosphere, moral choices, dialogue which when in a book can make a great movie (LOTR for eg) and I hope it could be the same for games since so far all the movies based on games, are based on games that are as deep as rainpuddles. You are right though if it ends up being a retelling of the original story it would be rather pointless however if it was as others have suggested a prequel, ti could be rather interesting, as there is enough background information in the game to give the film a pretty good story, however not so much that it could have quite a lot of artistic deviation.

m_jim

Jan 14, 2008
I'm surprised that no one else has mentioned the plot... if they go for a straight adaptation, the "twist" will totally fall flat due to the nature of the medium. What made the game such a damn masterpiece will lack any resonance on screen. If they perhaps look at the fall of Rapture, though, it could be interesting.

Yassen

Apr 5, 2008
i think bioshock would make a great movie. especially if they play it from the first-person perspective. i mean the trailer for bioshock that was cinematic and first-person was incredible. if they can change the ending (lets be frank it was terrible but i suppose they couldnt really take it anywhere else) then it should be great.

Gansasalite

Jan 2, 2008
Im not too optimistic about this, would be a Difficult task to convert Bioshock into a movie.

Still, I didn't mind Final Fantasy or Hitman....... Sorta.

TomNook said:
thebobmaster said:
Jeroen Stout said:
Hm. This makes movies look like a wank-off, really, they keep deriving from books and games. Do they ever make anything on their own? They rip off themepark-rides, even.
Hey, POTC was good. Haunted Mansion...not so much.

Hey now, I liked Haunted Mansion.
................ I hope never to hear those words Again.

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
I've only played a little bit of Bioshock but aren't there two different takes on the main character depending on what on whether the player saves or harvests?

If they turn this into a more highbrow, art, action, movie like Children of Men then this will be good. If they go B movie expect another Resident Evil.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
I've got a feeling, seeing the people behind this, that this could be great movie. The Aviator was quite well-written, and there were even parts that are set in the time periods that influenced BioShock. And, yeah, the Pirates movies are kind of over-rated, but they did have a great sense of style that was consistent in all 3.

I've just got a good feeling about this one...

Ares Tyr

Aug 9, 2008
Jeroen Stout post=7.60027.462572 said:
When human cultural history is so old, its kind of difficult to be completely original with every, or any idea.

"Atlas Shrugged", indeed.

Dec 1, 2007
Yassen post=7.60027.465020 said:
i think bioshock would make a great movie. especially if they play it from the first-person perspective. i mean the trailer for bioshock that was cinematic and first-person was incredible. if they can change the ending (lets be frank it was terrible but i suppose they couldnt really take it anywhere else) then it should be great.
Ya! Why we're at it, lets add the option for the audience to "aim" the weapons of our hero, and activate "plasmids". Also: the audience should have a health meter, and if they aim poorly, the movie should end.