Talented teenage Korean Overwatch player accused of hacking, two pro's quit when she's proved legit.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya, guys.

Glad to see a literal teenaged girl kicking all of the ass somewhere.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
...So the teenage female Korean pro-gamer who favors tanks doesn't play D.Va?
What a waste.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Good for her, and fuck those guys. It's a shame she was forced to 'prove' herself.

Zarya's a character I've wanted to get better at, recently, as I've seen some people really kicking ass as her. It's always nice to see someone who can wreck some shit as her.

As an aside, the whole "it's not about her gender" thing. Maybe, maybe not. Certainly me and many other women who play games are no stranger to the accusation that we're not really the ones playing, or we didn't earn our achievements ourselves. Maybe it played a factor, maybe it didn't. I'd like to think it didn't.

My favourite accusation against me was that my boyfriend had completed Dark Souls for me, and that was just laughable.
(Seriously the original Dark Souls is not some huge barrier of skill).

But anywho, sweeping that aside, I do hope some people learn from this. If you think someone is cheating, report them and move on. You're not going to gain anything by dragging themselves out to prove themselves, especially if they're not cheating, then you just look like an enormous asshole.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
So let's get the obligatory "they're assholes for finding it inconceivable that they could be beaten by a girl, and putting her through that to satiate their own bruised egos" and all that jazz, before someone presumes I'm somehow sympathetic towards them...

But

Games Journalism 101: If you're citing reddit and the source itself appends their statement with "I think", probably best not to include the accusation of a criminal act unless you have some evidence.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Zhukov said:
Jesus. Watched a few of those matches, and yeah, speaking as someone who plays a lot of Zarya, the kid is fucking terrifying.

Funny thing is though, I can't tell exactly what she's doing to be so good. Zarya's a tank/brawler kind of character, so it's not like watching a pro sniper player who can get a headshot with every shot. She just seems to track targets really well and always be in the right place with a shield handy.

I wish I understood Korean. Curious to know what they're saying.

Shame someone had to go and embarrass themselves with internet death threats. Because those always improve a situation.

By the way, what's with the paper mask? Is that a Korean pro gaming scene... thing?
This is just something I heard offhand, but an Overwatch player claimed that she plays best when accompanied by another tank, since it makes tank #2 even tankier, while giving her a massive attack boost as players try to take out tank #2. Of course, she'd have to be good at not getting taken out herself while supporting said tank.

Someone else will have to explain how to play her well offensively.

Disco Biscuit

Mar 19, 2016
major_chaos said:
The Rogue Wolf said:
Death threats? Against a 17-year-old girl? Seriously?

I wouldn't shed a tear if that guy's teeth were kicked in.
Disco Biscuit said:
How fragile do you need to be, that a 17 year old reduces you to death threats? That's a big, "Down the road, not across the street; make it count" moment.
Do neither of you see how this could be just the least bit hypocritical?
The one who included "girl" as though that somehow mattered? Sure. My statement? No. Death threats against children are the sign of a totally broken person who needs to take a long hard look at themselves, and evaluate their value.

That is unless you somehow see what I said as being equivalent to a death threat? If so, you're going to have to do more than just levy a vague accusation of hypocrisy.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I'm going to comment on the actual game play and why some people might suspect cheating. Not going to address the death threats because that's something else entirely.

So a problem that is probably going to be everlasting on the PC is hacking. It is really hard to tell who is hacking and who is not. Aim botting has really improved over the years, while the quick snappy aim bots are still used by some people, less obvious ones are still out there. There are aimbots with adjustable levels of stick. When people track so accurately despite the enemy moving erratically or start "snapping" it naturally brings up red flags. Even then it can take a myriad of people watching replays closely over and over to detect them.

To be honest I really don't know how she does it, at one point she shows her sensitivity settings and they're actually quite low. I play with a higher sensitivity and even I can't track that quickly. I don't know if shes using some buttons on her mouse to adjust sensitivity and changes as needed but the base settings are a bit too sluggish to really do what she does.

As a player it really is hard to judge, because as player all you see is a few seconds of the kill cam. The kill cam can look insanely shady at some points, and with there actually being hackers out there, it really isn't hard to believe that someone would throw our the accusation of hacking. Bringing it back to the complexity of aimbots, some tells are incredibly subtle and it is very easy to spot false positives when you already assume someone is cheating.

For example if I was watching a killcam as the enemy @~19:30, she chases a low health Winston, he moves around the corner to the spot where a health pack spawns. A normal player chasing around that corner would assume the enemy is booking it straight for that health pack and aim straight at the narrow health pack spot. Instead she rounds the corner aiming high at the stairs to the right before she actually sees the Winston who is in fact running up the stairs. As the Winston I definitely would be like wtf how did she know I went up the stairs instead of the health pack and why is she aiming for my head right before she rounds the corner.

I only watched about 35 minutes of it and there are definitely a few cases where I'd be like why did she choose to do action X when action Y would be most people's response. But it really is hard to tell especially since I don't know what other information is being relayed to her via voice com or via the actual in game footsteps.

Good for her on being so skilled. But I really don't find it hard to believe that people would accuse others of hacking. Hell at least once or twice a day I really do wonder if some people are hacking.

Jan 27, 2011
Like I said when I saw this on my Facebook Feed "D Va is REAL and she mains Zarya. :eek:"

On one hand, holy cow, she's got rediculous accuracy with Zarya, especially at what looks like such a high sensitivity setting. That and she's really good at getting right into the thick of fights to charge up her Energy without getting killed. Mad props.

On the other hand, I'm glad to see that the guys who foolishly staked their careers on this followed through. Because the threats are just not cool. I'm glad this girl (and blizzard) shut them up and made them eat their humble pie.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Phasmal said:
Seriously the original Dark Souls is not some huge barrier of skill.
I'd say it kind of is, especially if you go in with the mindset of it plays like Zelda or Elder Scrolls.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
RaikuFA said:
Phasmal said:
I'd say it kind of is, especially if you go in with the mindset of it plays like Zelda or Elder Scrolls.
Well, yeah, there's an initial period of adjustment. I still remember coming back from dashing off to get the phone after just hitting the start button, assuming it would pause and coming back finding myself dead. I couldn't believe there was no pause.

But as for actual difficulty, I dunno, with enough perseverance I think anyone can do it. Personally I had more trouble with Rogue Legacy. Dark Souls just isn't a game I would find difficult to believe anyone had finished. Then again I'm not the kind of asshole who assumes people can or can't finish games by their gender or how they look, so there's that.

Disco Biscuit

Mar 19, 2016
Kibeth41 said:
RaikuFA said:
Phasmal said:
It seriously isn't.

If I go into Call of Duty with the mindset that it'll play like Mario Kart, then that game's hard too.
"Why won't this block of wood act like corn on the cob damn it?!"

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Phasmal said:
RaikuFA said:
Phasmal said:
Well, yeah, there's an initial period of adjustment. I still remember coming back from dashing off to get the phone after just hitting the start button, assuming it would pause and coming back finding myself dead. I couldn't believe there was no pause.

But as for actual difficulty, I dunno, with enough perseverance I think anyone can do it. Personally I had more trouble with Rogue Legacy. Dark Souls just isn't a game I would find difficult to believe anyone had finished. Then again I'm not the kind of asshole who assumes people can or can't finish games by their gender or how they look, so there's that.
Yeah I had to adjust when I played Demon Souls. By Dark Souls I was breezing through it.

And I facepalm whenever I hear "lol gurls cant play games". Maybe cause my parents raised me right in that way or cause I know how it is to be excluded from gaming with others since I was little but it's always rubbed me the wrong way.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Those are some legit Zarya skillz, jeez'.

Zhukov said:
Funny thing is though, I can't tell exactly what she's doing to be so good. Zarya's a tank/brawler kind of character, so it's not like watching a pro sniper player who can get a headshot with every shot. She just seems to track targets really well and always be in the right place with a shield handy.
Imo it's all to do with her positioning and quick reflexes for shields/ulti, but especially positioning. She never seemed to get surprised and no problem tracking the enemy at all times and constantly bombarding them with grenades, like she had a mini map radar on at all times. Maybe that's why the 2 "pros" thought she was a hacker, they tried to surprise her but never could, therefore must have had hax!

Skin

Dec 28, 2011
I don't know about Overwatch, but if this was CSGO, you could watch a player play the game normally and they could still be cheating. People really underestimate how advance these cheats are. But without watching and analyzing hand movements, ingame comms, etc you can never be 100% sure.

Also, what sensitivity is this girl playing at? She barely moves her mouse at all! Scary to think what would happen if Koreans suddenly because interested in CS, the end times would be near.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Windknight said:
What a bunch of sexist pussies. She won fair and square, deal with it. I am so glad this attitude is dying in the fighting gamec circuit. See clips of the Killer Instinct Cup that happened earlier back in April I believe. There were many female competitors, and most of them got really far in the tournament. They got skills.