Taliban "students" die from explosion in bomb making class

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Add that to the innate 'valuing human life' thing and yeah, not the best news. More could have been done with these wasted lives.
I appreciate your outlook. I really do, and it probably already makes you a bigger person than I am.

At the same time, whenever something like this happens, i can't help but feel somewhat relieved that people who got hoisted this time, were by a petard of their own making(quite litteraly in this case).

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
So either there's been two recent lots or the same incident is being reported differently by different outlets.
Different incidents. But it is not actually that surprising. Amateurs handling explosives blow themself up all the time. Just consider how often accidents happen with homemade fireworks and in those cases it is just more explosives arranged in a more deadly manner.

But it is important to distinguish between all those groups. They all have different agendas, different methods, different enemies/allies and are active in different areas. Ignoring all that makes it impossible to understand what actually happens in the region.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Sending your heavy armor into urban areas without dismounted infantry (reports suggest that in order to stay safe, the infantry remained mounted in their IFVs) is so stupid that it boggles the mind.
Wait, what? Why?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Why is it stupid or why did the Russian Army fail to understand one of the most basic tenets of armored warfare?
The latter. Like you say, that boggles the mind. People should have known better since WW2 at the latest.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Why is it stupid or why did the Russian Army fail to understand one of the most basic tenets of armored warfare?
One might presume because perhaps the Russian military were very unsure about their capabilities in urban warfare. As they feared casualties too high for the government to stomach, they decided to expend a load of armoured vehicles instead. After all, even when a tank is knocked out, the crew are often not killed.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
The latter. Like you say, that boggles the mind. People should have known better since WW2 at the latest.
Russia hasn't had a good military for a long time. Their successes in WW2 were more because of brute force, numbers, and ruthlessness (to their own soldiers) than because of being particularly competent. The Eastern Front was brutal.

And yes, I know that that conflict was in the 90s but militaries don't change much between conflicts.