Tali's immune system - wait, what?

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
*Note - my true assumption is the block above the last line; everything above is speculation*

She doesn't say she's taken Immuno-boosters in his room -_-

"Anti-biotics and herbal supplements that should bolster my immune system"

Bolster how, and for what purpose though?

Maybe she'd just rather not get an even WORSE reaction down the line if she attemted to weaken her immune system, it waking up to find way more bacteria than should be there, and start freaking out, it'd be all like "Ey yo Tali, sweet moves up ther-WOAH SHIT, ENEMIES EVERYWHERE!".

Or maybe by bolster, she means for the act of taking off her mask, which would actually be suppressing it. Keeping her reactions calm and under control for the time they have together.

And then the question is: is Tali fighting her reaction on the collector base? No way to tell, but all we know is later, yes, she is sick. Her system would either have been suppressed during the whole mission, or she would have been fighting it the entire time. Tough girl :)

I'd like to believe the meaning of the word 'bolster' is different, personally. And maybe by 'immuno-boosters' she actually means 'supressants', but doesn't want Shepard to worry about her, knowing he isn't very medically minded? OR maybe bolster is something like 'make the reactions less severe'.

And then the wild-card, Mordin Solus. How does he know about the relationship? Ken and Gabby? Or did Tali go to him herself? Maybe well working on the genophage cure, he started a side-project to assist the Quarian immune system. Maybe she volunteered to be part of the trial, I mean, this is Shepard we're talking about (I don't know about yours, but my Shepard is a sexy beast, modeled after me of course, just with better hair, I can't get that lift he has), and she does love him.

I have a feeling by 'bolster' she just meant it would make the reactions less severe. Like instead of bolstering the system to make it MORE protective with the same effectiveness, it was temporarily boosted to kill infections right away, so later there wouldn't be as many. It'd be like it added laser turrets to assist guard dogs. I bet she went to Mordin, and cooked something up. You know how Mordin loves a challenge.

Just me though. I'd do anything to defend Tali, even if I have no idea what I'm talking about. Especially medical stuff.

Grug16

Oct 22, 2008
Kal'Reegar put it best. "If we died every time we got the sniffles, Quarians would be extinct by now." They won't die to the smallest cold, but they'd definitely suffer more than any other alien species.

The specific Levo/Dextro DNA issue states that the tissues aren't toxic, just incompatible, and that eating food of the opposite type would most likely pass harmlessly through the body without being digested, although allergic reactions are possible. It's also implied that Tali's romance was a make-out scene rather than sex. Tali acknowledges that exposure of that magnitude would be fatal. Finally, although it doesn't apply to Tali it's assumed that after centuries of contact, the various alien species would have over come any common and biologically-compatible ailments and pathogens.

On the flotilla itself, the whole ship isn't totally sterilized. The Quarians wear their suits because they can be infected even by other quarians. It's mentioned that there are specific Totally Sterilized rooms for things like changing suits, intercourse, and surgery. Besides, keeping things like Garden Ships that grow food or large residential ships completely clean would require more resources than the Quarians have. The suits have even become a part of their culture (getting a new one is considered a great gift and a sign of maturity).

AS for the original topic of the thread: it's probably an Analogy. Bioware didn't want to give a Medical lesson, and most players will understand "Allergy means the quarian body does harmful things when exposed to something it doesn't like".

Somewhat related, Turian skin isn't all hard metal and chitin. It's explained that the metallic surface was developed to protect against Palaven's radioactive sun and offers no protection from weapons or the like. Some parts are probably hard, like the head crest, but not all.

EDIT: Cerberus. They could afford to Resurrect Shepard and build the new Normandy because they're more than a terrorist group. The Illusive Man runs his own network of companies and research groups that fund the rest of their projects. Shepard was a special investment but certainly within their power to perform. [minor spoiler] If you talk to EDI after she gains control of the ship, it's revealed that Cerberus owns the companies that build the First Normandy, so they had access to the plans and knew about the technologies involved. [/minor spoiler]

EDIT2: Mass Effect has some of the hardest science in Sci-fi, at least with Eezo and its applications. If you accept that Eezo exists, everything else works just fine. It mathematically increases or decreases mass of objects. Increase the mass of a tiny bullet to increase the stopping power (F=MA). Decrease the mass of an object into Negatives for Faster than Light travel.

naab

Jun 4, 2009
This will explain any and all issues regarding this topic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE7v6MypJRQ

In addition. YAY! 100th Post

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
The quarians are a really poorly thought out race all around.

It was better when there was just little bits of info about them here and there. Shit pretty much hit the fan when they had to come up with some sort of explanation as to why an entire species of unusually intelligent tech masters would be retarded enough to fly around in a space junkyard for 600 years instead of claiming one of the dozens of unclaimed planets that could support life that are just floating around near the Relays.

I mean, how many of those did we mine the hell out of just in Mass Effect 2? 10?

Volkov

Dec 4, 2010
Bara_no_Hime said:
What really shocks me about this thread is how 90% of replies fall into one of two categories:

1) Bioware is god! You are horrible for even questioning a minor error in the game. That you criticize at all is sinful and you should either shut up or make up a convoluted excuse for the multi-million dollar game company that couldn't edit their dialog or do five minutes of research while patching a plot-hole.

2) It's crappy writing or not really sci-fi anyway, so you shouldn't bother worrying about science because they certainly didn't.

There's only a small group of people who actually tried to discuss the topic, and they are mostly being shouted down by everyone else.

To group 2, Bioware chose to try to insert real science. They screwed it up. I have no problem calling them on it. If they want it to be sci-fantasy, then don't try to explain it. They tried. They failed.

To group 1, criticism is not evil. It is not hateful. I criticize the things I love, in the hope that they will get better. Xenogears is my very favorite RPG, and it is FULL of flaws. It is also wonderful.

This is one of the reasons why I love ZP - because critics make the world better, and no one is more critical than Yahtzee.
To be honest, I think you are slightly misinterpreting the implications of what group 2 (for the most part) is saying. They are not saying: "Don't bother pointing out holes, Bioware deemed it unimportant, and so should you." They are saying: "You are pointing out a scratch on a bullet-riddled glass window." You are right, this is yet another example of poor writing, but the thing is - it is a very unimportant one compared to the much bigger problems in the writing of the two games.

Also, Yahtzee actually liked the writing in ME2. Which I was surprised by, because to be honest, it's only good for a video game, but compared to all writing out there? Common.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Setsuri21 said:
Daverson said:
Bear in mind this is the universe where the "dilithium crystals" is called "Element Zero", anyone with even a basic understanding of chemistry will know that means an element which has no protons in the nucleus. - This is a concept that wouldn't be new to scientists, in fact, it's probably one of the most abundant "elements" in the entire galaxy, there's even an extremely scientific name for it: a "vacuum".

Don't put stock in the science of sci-fi video games, most of it is what's called "soft" sci-fi [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_science_fiction], really just fantasy in space. (as opposed to "hard" sci-fi, where the technology is as much a focus of the story as the characters - sadly this hasn't taken off outside of books... yet... there's a new webseries that looks very interesting based on hard sci-fi...)
Really? Do tell!
-Edit-

OP, I remember reading another thread llike this. They didn't do their research is all. Don't read into it much. The story is a "Space Opera", so they skimmed the science-y bits and focused on the story. I'll take that over the alternative 6 out of 7 days a week.
I didn't put in a link because I'd rather not turn my posts into adverts, but... 'eh, it's indie, so that makes it ok, right? =p
L5 webseries [http://www.l5-series.com/]

Kingsnake661

Dec 29, 2010
It's all a moot point. Your dealing with a non human here. Applying our biological system to theirs is like compairing apples to oranges.

And more realistically, game desiginers and writers aren't doctors. They prolly just didn't know, or didn't think about it. But since your dealing with aliens, like i said, our rules don't nessessirly apply. It's a minor oversite IMO a best.

*** Also keep in mind that tali didn't say it WAS an alergic reaction, but was LIKE an alergic reaction. She was discribing what happens, in terms Shepard could more easily understand. It doesn't mean it was an alergic reaction in the same manner we have them. ***

Irriduccibilli

Jun 15, 2010
Meh, it didnt even bother me at all, its just a minor thing really. Of course if you like everything to be 100% real, I can understand it bothers you a bit, but I accept minor mistakes ;)

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Didnt even notice that before now, but, yeah. A bit of a ret-con. Didnt notice it when it happened, don't bother me now that I know it.

Tali is still uber-cute. <3

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
pspman45 said:
who cares if it makes no sense, it makes a great story. it provides depth to her character
Clearly we care if it makes sense. If someone suddenly gets decapitated and then appears 5 minutes later after having "the operation" *winkwink* then I think logic would interfere with the story.

But yeah, I suspect it was something changed from the ideas from the first game to the ideas in game two that ended up clashing somewhat.

Trotgar

Sep 13, 2009
Worgen said:
mainly they wanted you to be able to fuck tali without her dying from a huge bacterial infection so they rewrote the rules a lil bit
This is actually what I thought when I played the game.

I was a bit disturbed by it - I'm not sure it doesn't match with the first game (which led me to believe you couldn't have sex with her as a human), but I would've liked more the situation in which they love each other but can't have any physical contact. It would probably have been a bit more unique, too.

But I don't really care, because I romanced Ashley and wanted to keep my Shep faithful during the second game.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
bushwhacker2k said:
But yeah, I suspect it was something changed from the ideas from the first game to the ideas in game two that ended up clashing somewhat.
yay, that's sequels for you. its practically tradition for the sequel to mess with lore of the original, why are we even discussing this...

KalosCast

Dec 11, 2010
This might have been mentioned, but I think OP got two things mixed up. A quarian would get the violent allergic reaction from eating our food, due to different protein structure, (or.. well.. 'swallowing' during the romantic encounter) but have an atrophied immune system from the ships, bubble-suits, and general isolation. Even if I do have that mixed up instead of the OP, the same environment that gave them an atrophied immune system would also give them hyper-allergies.

The Allergic thing was mentioned with Garrus as well, due to the whole protein structure thing again. You can even get tips from Mordin on proper positions.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Bioware dropped the ball with that romance. They had a chance to have an excellent platonic relationship that was memorable, but copped out and let you have sex with Tali. Because we aren't mature enough to pursue a relationship without the promise of sex, right?