Talk about a game that you like but you're sure no one else knows about

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
My favourite obscure games (though its not as old as most listed)

Lost Kingdoms

and Lost Kingdoms II

Basically a Real time card battling game, You summon the monsters to fight along side you, some appear for a slip second and attack where you aim, some stay until they die, some heal you or revive dead cards.

The cards you collect are mirrors of the monsters you fight in the world, I love the atmosphere of these games and the music too, a cool feature was you could upload your cards from the first game to your second, provided you have your gamesave.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Skullpanda said:
Cyberia, released in 1994 for pc, later ported to the Playstation, Sega Saturn, and 3DO. I've yet to find anyone else who has ever heard of the game, let alone played it.
I thought I heard of it, but I confused it with Syberia.

Fiz_The_Toaster said:
There was this weird little PC game called Sanatarium
I have it on GOG. Haven't played it yet...but it's on my "To Play" list...which has like 70 games on it so far. It may take a bit.

Jerram Fahey said:
As for my loved, fairly obscure game:
FTFY!

DioWallachia said:
You say Duke Nukem, i say Caleb from Blood.
Daww, Blood 2 was the game that got me into gaming. OK, not precisely but I consider it to. I can even quote stuff from the top of my head: "Too stubborn to quit, too stupid to die." - that was the description of Caleb in Blood 2, given by the Big Bad. "For when yuo want to reach out and touch somebody. Like, blow their head off" - when you pick up the sniper rifle. "Death - the only cure I know for being stupid" - that was one of Ishaemel's taunts.

DioWallachia said:
You say Brutal Legend, i say Sacrifice.
I have the game. It's part of my 70 odd games I have yet to play.

DioWallachia said:
You say Mass Effect, i say Planescape: Torment.
I don't think that is in any way obscure.

DioWallachia said:
Speaking of Mass Effect, here is Star Control:
http://www.vidgama.com/2009/04/head-to-head-mass-effect-vs-star-control-ii/
I've heard of the Star Control series. LOL @ the article, though.

Soxafloppin said:
Lost Kingdoms
and Lost Kingdoms II
I've heard of them but I remembered the name. After seeing the description, I recalled more - after playing Etherlords (which is pretty much the same. Although more of Magic the Gathering rip-off) I looked for more similar games. That's when I encountered Lost Kingdoms. I didn't get them in the end, though.

Shadowcreed

Jun 27, 2011
I picked up a game on Steam called Dustforce - really nice arcade like score+time attack game.
For anyone that is into leader boards I can highly recommend it. Hard as balls if you want it to be.

the soundtrack is amazing and even though the game is pretty simplistic I'm a huge fan of the aesthetic and animation quality overall.

I dare you all to complete the first level (not the tutorial) in record time, aka beat the #1 on the leader boards in perfect score and best time xD

yeah, dat time sink.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
And hey, I just remembered another obscure racing game. For some reason I loved racing games as a kid, and to be fair, this one was really damn fun. The music, the noise, the feel, the graphics were the time, all very good. Not sure if this one was obscure or if I was just very young when playing it. Maybe a bit of both. This definitely has to be my favourite racing game by far that I've ever played.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Hoo, didn't even know there was a Deer Avenger beyond 2, ahh takes me back to my macworld demo/freeware disc days...

Actually, Quest for Glory and Jazz Jackrabbit also takes me back there :)

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
Matthew94 said:
DoPo said:
Daww, Blood 2 was the game that got me into gaming. OK, not precisely but I consider it to. I can even quote stuff from the top of my head: "Too stubborn to quit, too stupid to die." - that was the description of Caleb in Blood 2, given by the Big Bad. "For when yuo want to reach out and touch somebody. Like, blow their head off" - when you pick up the sniper rifle. "Death - the only cure I know for being stupid" - that was one of Ishaemel's taunts.
From what I have seen. Blood 2 is meant to be a broken, awful mess which killed the series. On the other hand I just played Blood 1 + Expansion on GOG a few weeks back and I have to say, it's one of the best DOS shooters I have played and it's definitely worth a look.
Well, it's awfully fun, it is. Taken on its own. Doesn't hold up well to the original, though. I don't really know if it did kill the series, I suppose it's possible.

Hyperrhombus

Mar 31, 2011
My all-time favourite obscure shooter on NES:
Gun-Nac - it's got a surreal story, weapons and bombs that are awesome to use, a huge variety of different enemies that all attack in different ways, and I've never met anyone else who's heard of it.

Vid:

Has anyone here played it before?

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
DoPo said:
DioWallachia said:
Maybe, but given the marketing videos of Mass Effect 2 and the Casey Hudson opinion on having a final boss in ME3 would be "..So video-gamey..", i would say that they believe that the possibility of talking or arguing the final boss to death isn't something a game HAS acompished yet.

Its obscure for the game developers, not for the gamers :D. So from a certain point of view, it IS obscure.

Here are the videos in question:

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Okay, so I only found out about it recently, along with the developers, who seem like really cool guys, but Luftrauser is a little flash game they made as a proof-of-concept for their upcoming game Luftrausers.

http://not.vlambeer.com/luftrauser/

It's a pretty awesome little score attack game, which I can totally imagine being on an old arcade cabinet.

Garrett

Jul 12, 2012
Skullpanda said:
Obscure?

Ok, let's play this game.

Cyberia, released in 1994 for pc, later ported to the Playstation, Sega Saturn, and 3DO. I've yet to find anyone else who has ever heard of the game, let alone played it. I never did beat the thing, if only because the later you got in the game, the more it turned into a first-person bullet hell shooter...

Still, I love the game. Couldn't see myself enjoying anything as much as I did this back when I was a kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoL2j6dgc5Q (For those curious as to what it actually looked like...This is fairly early on in the game, too.)
I played it. Hell, I still got the PSX CD for it (though I don't know how it got into my possession in the first place...). And I also never met anyone who even heard of it before. I also never beat it because the disc is scratched bad and it always freezes at the same point very late into the game (I think it's not far from end). When you beat the flying rail shooter, you got back to the same gameplay as at the very beginning.

This is another game that no one I've ever met knew. U.F.O.s [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4ofeLaH4a4] It's very fun point'n'click game. I think it's the second p'n'c type of game I've played in my life (first being Legend of Kyrandia 2, which I think is also not that well known).

5-0

Apr 6, 2010
Not that obscure considering the brand name it belongs to, but I've never met anyone else who's played it: Lego Alpha Team. Man that game was hard as shit to young me. It holds a place in my heart for being the first video game I ever completed- and it wasn't an easy completion.

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
DioWallachia said:
DoPo said:
DioWallachia said:
Maybe, but given the marketing videos of Mass Effect 2 and the Casey Hudson opinion on having a final boss in ME3 would be "..So video-gamey..", i would say that they believe that the possibility of talking or arguing the final boss to death isn't something a game HAS acompished yet.

Its obscure for the game developers, not for the gamers :D. So from a certain point of view, it IS obscure.

Here are the videos in question:

Oh, gosh. Lol. Makes me glad I haven't ever been into the ME marketing. Also this makes me understand way better the frustration some fans have had with the games. Well, mostly 3, but still - they actually bought into the bullshit. Now I can feel smug and superior, since I had no intention to even bother with that.

Baron_Rouge

Oct 30, 2009
Wow, I've never heard of most of these! I guess my gaming tastes aren't very obscure...the only fairly obscure game that I love is El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron. I'm sure most people have heard of it, though there can't be that many that played it, given the sales. A pity, it was downright amazing.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Metalhandkerchief said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Dfskelleton said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
There was this weird little PC game called Sanatarium, and it was this little point and click adventure game that had the darkest humor I've ever encountered at the time.

It was so fucking weird.

Huh, that was going to be mine.
I guess it's not THAT obscure then, but hey, it's still a damn good game.
Extremely weird, but good.
I bought it on a whim years and years ago and I had no idea what I got myself into.

It's a really good game and it actually surpassed my expectations since it was in the bargain bin, but it was really weird.

It's like Myst took acid and had sex with Penumbra and this was the product of that.
One of my top 5 adventure games! Not used to people talking about it, and you're right, this game never got the fame it deserved, I wonder why.
Damn, I'm not used to talking about this game either.

My theory is that there were too many quirky PC games at the time so it got overshadowed, and that this one was too weird for that crowd, which kinda makes sense since there were things in that game that was bat shit bonkers.

I guess there was a reason why I found it in the bargain bin. :/

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
I raelly liked the Top Gear trilogy on the SNES

It was the only racing game I liked next to Mario Kart and it had great music

Plus I don't think there has been(to my knowledge) a future racing game

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Baron_Rouge said:
Wow, I've never heard of most of these! I guess my gaming tastes aren't very obscure...the only fairly obscure game that I love is El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron. I'm sure most people have heard of it, though there can't be that many that played it, given the sales. A pity, it was downright amazing.
I think that was because people didn't like the $60 price tag on it