Talk Awkwardly to Me

meisnewbie

May 29, 2008
What the hell, the idea of recharging mana or having sex for a powerup of some sort is possibly the very DEFINITION of shoehorning in sex. Especially considering that the all ages port replaces the fate route scene with a large dragon, Unlimited Blade Works with some sort of magic contract chest thing involving flying fishes and Heaven's Feel with blood sucking without any significant loss in content or thematic significance.

Well, I lied. The sex in Heaven's Feel was relatively important in establishing Sakura's character as well as her relationship but the writing style can be described as nothing short of abhorrent. 50 metaphors for genitalia and intercourse involving seacreatures or diving suits does not a good scene make

While the game itself is vastly, vastly superior in plot, character development and setting to... I'd say almost all other American games you can think of, the integration of sex into the game is jarring. You're better off looking for well integrated sex in true love games like ef -the first tale-, or society exploration games like Yume Miru Kusuri (...most notably Aeka's route). Ironically, the Lovecraftian Themed Saya's Song (aka Saya no Uta) also used sex to portray (im)pure relationship that two lovers have with each other, although that's not everyone's cup of tea.

Of course, there's an entire genre of games built up around the player developing feelings for characters but that obviously is a different issue.

I would probably try the game out for myself if it weren't so damn long/a genre that I find really boring.
While I certainly agree that it's long (the text file clocks in at 4.59MB-almost as big as all of Shakespeare's works combined-although it includes stuff that you'll never read unless you look for it) why do you find the genre boring? Do you find books boring? Have you actually had any experience with the genre?

boholikeu

Aug 18, 2008
meisnewbie said:
I would probably try the game out for myself if it weren't so damn long/a genre that I find really boring.
While I certainly agree that it's long (the text file clocks in at 4.59MB-almost as big as all of Shakespeare's works combined-although it includes stuff that you'll never read unless you look for it) why do you find the genre boring? Do you find books boring? Have you actually had any experience with the genre?
Actually, I love books, which is part of the reason I find visual novels so boring. Most visual novels aren't edited as well as actual novels, or they rely heavily on manga/anime tropes (which I find tiresome).

I'm sure there are plenty of good visual novels out there, but I just don't really have any desire to try them out. It's not like I have something against the genre. It just doesn't appeal to me.

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
I loved how love was handled in Mass Effect. My Shepard was just hanging out in the mess and he was approached by both Ashley and Liara, demanding that I choose between because I couldn't go on hitting on them both. The whole scene after I picked Ashley was so marvelous that sex was the only natural end.

boholikeu

Aug 18, 2008
meisnewbie said:
Again, I reiterate, how do you know?
If a genre doesn't appeal to you, it doesn't take that many games before you figure out you don't like it.

Besides, I'm sure you have a genre that you don't particularly like too. Everyone does.